SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2
Default Brushes for Power Window Motor 2000 SL2

The drivers side power window in our gold 2000 SL2 does not work well. The window will only go down so far and stop, needs help going up. I greased the slides but after removing the cover off the motor, discovered one of the brushes is broken. Has anyone ever heard of a replacement brushes and know the part number ? It looks like a simple solder job.. thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Brushes for Power Window Motor 2000 SL2

First of all, I would like to commend you for doing the extra work discovering the problem and trying to do the earth friendly thing. That's the path I always take (mainly because I'm a tightwad). Unfortunately, I think those brushes are going to be difficult to locate and the window motore are relatively inexpensive. You can still go semi-green by getting a used motor even though the labor used to remove one may be prohibitive. In the recycling game there is no such thing as a Pyrrhic victory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

thank you Hoseppi, it was worth a try.I see the new aftermarket are not that expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you can locate a decent motor shop they can fix you up. Sandpaper will machine one to fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

thank you OldNuc, I will check locally..!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Some older threads, hopefully the companies are still in business

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143956
For the Valeo starter

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=1#post1621952
for older starters, 94-mid 95

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:33 AM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Some older threads, hopefully the companies are still in business

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143956
For the Valeo starter

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=1#post1621952
for older starters, 94-mid 95
Unless I'm missing something, I think you missed that he's talking about power window motors, not starter motors.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Check at a hobby store (a real one, not Hobby Lobby or Michael's). I replaced the brushes in a power window motor on my wife's truck a while back using RC car motor brushes. Years later it is still working perfectly.

Take the old brush fragments with you and find the closest dimensional match you can. Adjust as necessary using a file or sandpaper.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Unless I'm missing something, I think you missed that he's talking about power window motors, not starter motors.
D'Oh! You're right, apologies to the OP. I should never post in haste

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
gveinot

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

Ended up buying a new one at Amazon.com for $25. It was identical to the original. I secured the top slider to the top door frame on the outside using two vice grips. It took a few minutes to drill out the three rivets. Then I removed the inside bolts and the one at the end of the bottom track on the outside. There was easily enough room to pull the track out slightly and remove the old motor and gear box. Using the bolts that came with the new motor and a philips screwdriver drill type bit on the end of a small wrench I was easliy able to tightend all up. Took a few wiggles to get the tracks back so the bolts in the door all lined up. Added some white grease to both tracks and tested with jumper wires on the motor contacts before putting the door panels back on. The 13 year old window on a 218,000km car worked as good as new. Now my daughter will have working windows when this baby hits the road in the spring. Thank you all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!