SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Speedrc99
Speedrc99 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Post Up Your Wheel/Tire Setup!

I've always wondered what the best looking way to go for wheels and tires for our Saturns is. I had my friends set of 16" Sport Tuning wheels on for a few days and they improved handling by a huge amount and the look was fantastic in my opinion. Much more of a flush and wide look compared to the skinny stock steelies. So feel free to post up pictures of what you have to share ideas! Thanks!
Here's mine:

This is with two people sitting on the trunk, how i would like it look lowered:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Speedrc99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Speedrc99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Speedrc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Recycled Saturn
Advanced Member
Recycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura aboutRecycled Saturn has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Post Up Your Wheel/Tire Setup!

Those look good, how much did your friend pay for them?

1998 SL2-AMR Strut Bar, AEM CAI, and 119,XXX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Recycled Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Recycled Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Recycled Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Here I go again...I have heard (on this forum) that with S's 16" was the way to go, a compromise between looks and enhancing performance. That's what I went with. Wheels are Enkei EDR9's 16" dia. 7" wide, with a 38mm offset. tires are 205/50/16 which are meaty enough (I think) to cushion the ride and protect the wheel. I am dropped a bit: 1.5" with H&R's and seemingly the only "upgrade" strut out there KYB GR2. to Speedrc99: Looks good, but if you drop and go below 2" you might get drivetrain shimmy. I suggest H&R or Eibach; there's likely other springs that don't drop below 2"...but I can't remember them right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side shot recent 2.jpg (212.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg wheel 2.jpg (117.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by MadPuppy; 10-28-2012 at 08:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recycled Saturn View Post
Those look good, how much did your friend pay for them?
I believed he paid around $850 for them shipped to his door mounted and balanced from TireRack. I would never pay that much personally but hey, if you got the money why not. He may offer to sell them to me permanently for $400 which i think is a steal for almost new tires. And 16's in my mind are most definitely the way to go with our cars, especially if you run a lower profile tire, then the overall diameter doesn't change a whole lot. They really fill up those big wheel wells, and especially if they are wider (mine are 7") they look awesome from the back. I believe the Sport tuning wheels I have on now (ones in the pic) are a +40 offset. The front is completely flush with the fender but the back is still pulled in a little, but looks wayyyy better. Oh and my friend has Eibach Pro-Kit springs on his cobalt and they only dropped it a little bit maybe an inch or so but they handle so much better than stock and are actually very comfortable with stock struts. Cobalts just happen to have the same hub bore and bolt pattern as the S-Series. Oh and all those pics were Pre-rear disc swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Speedrc99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
ohioguy98
ohioguy98 is on a distinguished road

I like the OEM look (or at least plausibly OEM look) for any upgrades, so I went with the 16" wheels/tires from an '06 Ion 3. I bought them off the 'net back in '06 from a private owner who had just gotten a new Ion and for some reason 16s weren't big enough for him (fill in your own jokes here). His loss was my gain, however, as I was able to get all four wheels with the Firehawk 03s still on them, only a few months and a few thousand miles from new, for $375 plus shipping. They really transformed the personality of the car and instantly updated the look 10 years. It rides very smoothly and corners like a go cart, and the wheels even have the Saturn logo on them. A win-win in my book.

Last edited by ohioguy98; 10-28-2012 at 11:58 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ohioguy98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ohioguy98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ohioguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Good old steelies with 205/60/15's on them.

98 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

I also am a fan of the OEM saturn wheels. I've been trying to track down a set of stock 16'' cobalt or ion 5 spoke aluminum wheels. I think that would really update the look of the car and bring a sportier feel to it. Anybody have those?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioguy98 View Post
I like the OEM look (or at least plausibly OEM look) for any upgrades, so I went with the 16" wheels/tires from an '06 Ion 3. I bought them off the 'net back in '06 from a private owner who had just gotten a new Ion and for some reason 16s weren't big enough for him (fill in your own jokes here). His loss was my gain, however, as I was able to get all four wheels with the Firehawk 03s still on them, only a few months and a few thousand miles from new, for $375 plus shipping. They really transformed the personality of the car and instantly updated the look 10 years. It rides very smoothly and corners like a go cart, and the wheels even have the Saturn logo on them. A win-win in my book.

I have a set of those (though with the round silver center cap) waiting for tires so they can go on my '98 SW2. Somehow they always looked vastly better on the S-Series than on the Ion to my eyes.

While I'm at it, here's my '99 SC2 on its autox wheels.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

I love the white wheels on gold saturns..I think the only color I'd ever want to own of these cars is Gold...it always looks clean and cleans up super nice. And has this translucent look to it when it rains/gets wet. I had a guy compliment my car on the car once who owned a custom classic car shop and he said he wanted to paint one of his cars with that saturn gold color because he liked it so much.

Last edited by Speedrc99; 10-30-2012 at 11:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

I like Saturn on 16s, it just seems like the right size. Here is an old shot of mine at a local event.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #11
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwithcats View Post
Good old steelies with 205/60/15's on them.

98 SL2
Finally, I found someone who shares my point of view.

Everything in my (extended) stable of vehicles is riding on steelies. When I got my SL2 it had aftermarket wheel covers on it and currently sports a set of Wal Mart cheapies of which I have several spares for when I inevitably whang one against some chunk of road debris.

People get so fascinated with fancy expensive alloys, and I have seen countless numbers of them around town scraped, abused, bent, cracked, and broken. But I have never seen anyone F-up a steel rim without totaling the rest of the car along with it. The salesdude who sold me my Subaru was really trying to talk me into buying a 2000+ dollar option package that was basically factory alloys, when he had a shredded factory alloy someone had curbed sitting on his filing cabinet behind his desk.

Yeah.

I drive for a living, so I don't have time for that. If I do manage to mangle one of my steelies, I can get another one at the junkyard for about 15 bucks.

My Saturn is riding on the factory 15" steelies with General Altimax R/T's on them. The thing corners like something out of a video game. When it snows, I have a spare set of steelies with General Altimax Arctics on them... And a truck, and a Subaru. (Haven't gotten any spare rims for the Subaru yet. Still gotta disconnect that damn TPMS light, too.)

I spent all my rims money on a stereo, instead.

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #12
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

The main reason i like the alloy wheels is because of the rim dimensions, wider lower profile tires handle much better than tall skinny all season tires. My stock 15" steelies i must say that i am very proud of ( I too am a steelie lover) but those tires fold over on any hard turn..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

My Altimaxes are a size shorter and a side wider than factory on the "aspect ratio" meter. That probably reduces my ground clearance 0.02% and changes my spedometer to match, but I have yet to have any handling or sidewall issues. I don't try to go drifting in my Saturn, though, or try to race people around the place. I do need it to be a reliable and nimble vehicle, though.

I think before you go folding up sidewalls and such you need a heavier car with more power, and be more willing to park it in a tree. Maybe if you're into autocross that sort of stuff really matters -- Driving on public roads, not so much.

As for liking them better, though, that's your thing. Go for it!

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #14
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Don's forget that if you tear up an alloy rim, finding a matching replacement is a major pain, not to mention expense.

Steelies are easy to find, and I also get a set of spare out of the JY,
this lets me buy tires when they are on sale, and have full sized spares in the garage...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

In no way am I saying I go street racing trying to ruin my little Saturn that I love so much, just on a nice summer day its nice to go around a long corner on a country road or take some turns at a decent speed and not feel like the tires are folding in half. With the 16's and Hankook Ventus tires, my car handled those turns MUCH smoother and comfortably. I just enjoy the driving feel of the sportier, stiffer tires. In the winter though, steelies with some skinny tall snow tires can't be beat, and I agree the price and availability of steel wheels is much greater than that of alloy wheels. Regardless, keep the pics coming!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

I have a set of Avanti 16's that I got off of Gyrlspeed from here. They need some work as far as repainting, but they look pretty good on the car. The tires that are currently mounted are 205-40-16 Hankook HRII, which are small for the SC2, so I will be swapping them out in the near future, but they make the car even lower and handle amazingly. For the winter I am currently running 15in steelies, as it seems we have some fans of them here. Steelies also make your car look less valuable and less likely to be targeted by morons for theft.

And yes, I do have a CB radio antenna on my car even though I hid the one for the radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

Yeah you can't beat small diameter steelies for winter wheels thats for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #18
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

My race rims are heavy. I bought them from a friend for $40. I have taken 2 over a curb, and they made it through without issue (killing 2 brand new tires).

I don't recommend light weight rims for street use, and think that people get a bit too obsessed with them for racing. A sturdy rim will be forgiving.

Steel wheels work, but they flex more than an alloy. High loads and high heat can make welds fail. Run them on the street, but if things ever get aggressive I'd suggest swapping them out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #19
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

15" wheels are the fastest. so, that's what i use...

i have used 17" wheels in the past. they were slow. really slow.

i now have 2 sets of these wheels in 15" size.

white:

and silver:

somewhere i have pics of a set of 13" panasport wheels with 225 hoosiers on them, but i can't find them at the moment. i suspect those would be even faster than the 15s, but i had a slight fitment issue and couldn't run them...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #20
Speedrc99

1999 SL2

Yeah 15's seem best for speed and 16's are the ultimate for looks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!