SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
TeddyKGB
TeddyKGB is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
Question Back end vibrates badly when idling in Drive

There's a general vibration about the car most of the time, but it gets bad when the car is idling in Drive. I don't feel it when the car is cold first thing in the morning, but it increases as I drive it through the day. It's annoying enough that I shift into Neutral at stops; it doesn't vibrate in Neutral or Park.

Recent repairs include the engine mounts and EGR valve; the spark plugs were replaced recently and a fuel system cleaner was run through it. None of these have changed the vibration problem.

It seems like problems like this have a million possibilities, so I'm hesitant to take it to a mechanic. Anyone care to hazard a guess?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TeddyKGB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TeddyKGB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TeddyKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Back end vibrates badly when idling in Drive

Timewise, if it hasn't been done already, the transmission mount is ready for replacement. Need a jack to hold up the transmission, and a 15mm deep well socket and a 10mm socket with a ~6in extension. Probably easiest with the driver side tire off but you can leave it on if you don't have or want to bother with jack stands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
TeddyKGB
TeddyKGB is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Timewise, if it hasn't been done already, the transmission mount is ready for replacement.
I'm afraid that's not it; the side, rear, and transmission mounts were all replaced at the same time, and recently. They needed to be replaced (some of them were practically in pieces), but it didn't affect the vibration problem at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TeddyKGB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TeddyKGB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TeddyKGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

Did you check your muffler hanger? Grab the tailpipe and pull up slightly, then let it drop. If it makes a metailic sound , it is broken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
There's a general vibration about the car most of the time, but it gets bad when the car is idling in Drive. I don't feel it when the car is cold first thing in the morning, but it increases as I drive it through the day. It's annoying enough that I shift into Neutral at stops; it doesn't vibrate in Neutral or Park.

Recent repairs include the engine mounts and EGR valve; the spark plugs were replaced recently and a fuel system cleaner was run through it. None of these have changed the vibration problem.

It seems like problems like this have a million possibilities, so I'm hesitant to take it to a mechanic. Anyone care to hazard a guess?
Mine does the same thing, i thinks its an exhaust pipe problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
papoopeepoo
papoopeepoo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

I had a similar issue. Check your muffler hanger. Mine was rusted through and the exhaust pipe was resting on the suspension cross member. I thought it was the rear suspension at first because it gave a clunking sound when i went over bumps.

Be careful with purchasing a muffler strap, the aftermarket straps don't fit the OE muffler.

Cables and wires almost never fail; the terminations do. -- www.prussianmotors.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to papoopeepoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help papoopeepoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
papoopeepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

My muffler is welded directly to the frame near the rear bumper so my problem
is definitely not the hanger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
gyrlspeedrt
gyrlspeedrt is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Do you have a check engine light on as well? I've been having the same problem. My engine light is on and it says I have a misfire but have changed plugs, wires, egr valve, ignition coils. Wound up putting the originals(i.c.) back in since it made no difference). From a search, it could possibly be the intake mainfold gasket. Haven't had a chance to do it myself or take it to friend of mine to double check it for me or replace it...

GyrlSpeed Racing Team Performance
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com
http://gyrlspeedracingteam.com/shop
GyrlSpeed App: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=gyrlspeed&hl=en

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gyrlspeedrt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gyrlspeedrt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gyrlspeedrt is offline   Reply With Quote