SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Japanrot
Japanrot is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL1 Coolant in Oil

I recently bought a 2000 SL1 with 302k for cheap with engine problems. When I got it back to my house, I was able to observe the coolant mixing with the oil, and heavy smoke from the exhaust that smells like oil burning.

I am curious wether I should dig into the engine to repair it or to just throw a used engine into it.

I have rebuilt European engines before, but I have never tore into an American car before. I have an extensive tool collection, access to a lift, and access to a Tech 2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Japanrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Japanrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Japanrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL1 Coolant in Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanrot View Post
I am curious wether I should dig into the engine to repair it or to just throw a used engine into it.
Could be a head gasket, could be a cracked head - the head seems to happen at an abnormal rate for the SOHC engines.

I'm told taht SOHC engines are cheap and easy to find, but that depends on your area. Of course, you are paying your money and taking your chances.

Proper DIY rebuilds are usually said to run $1,500~$2k but may be worth it if you plan on keeping the car. Add a clutch if needed while you are at it, and you will be good for many miles.

These engines are very easy to work on. The only surprise IMO is that you will find no oil-drainback holes in the pistons and this is the usual cause of Saturn's oil burining issues. New pistons will have some holes, or you can drill your own.

It sounds like you are better prepared for a rebuild or replacement than most people who tackle this

Some pictures from a recent rebuild by motrhed79 - engine rebuuilds for these cars are pretty well documented. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=181982#

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
OU812
Advanced Member
OU812 has a spectacular aura aboutOU812 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

If you dont wanna spend money use an engine sealer, check out Blue Devil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OU812's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OU812 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
dbetz
dbetz will become famous soon enoughdbetz will become famous soon enough

1999 SW2
2000 SL

About a year ago I tore into my SW2 because of a blown head gasket (oil in coolant). I had never even changed my own oil before. A buddy of mine walked me through the process and introduced me to how easy it was to work on these cars. Did it with the engine in the car. Since you already have familiarity with engine work, should be a no-brainer, depending on how extensive you want to get.

Throwing a used engine into it just depends on how much effort you want to put in and what kind of a baseline on engine condition you want. A used engine is an unknown (potential) time bomb. A bought-rebuilt probably costs as much or more as if you did it yourself, and you don't have the opportunity (likely) to fix the oil drain problem or other things. Rebuilding it yourself gives you the opportunity to "reset" the history of the engine, and with a few maintenance issues done properly can likely run the engine for several 100k miles.

Time, money, how soon you need the car running all factor into trade-offs of which route to take.

It seems that it needs a new head or head gasket. Either way (I was told) the head *should* be inspected, leak checked, maybe the valves redone, while it is off. When I did mine, the cost of the work was about as much as what people here report a reman head would cost. I believe J&C (?) has the highest recommendation here. So maybe replace the head while at it.

Thanks! David

1999 SW2 Auto 150k miles; Dark Plum Metallic
2000 SL 5-Speed 214k miles; Silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbetz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbetz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
Japanrot

Could be a head gasket, could be a cracked head - the head seems to happen at an abnormal rate for the SOHC engines.

I'm told taht SOHC engines are cheap and easy to find, but that depends on your area. Of course, you are paying your money and taking your chances.

Proper DIY rebuilds are usually said to run $1,500~$2k but may be worth it if you plan on keeping the car. Add a clutch if needed while you are at it, and you will be good for many miles.

These engines are very easy to work on. The only surprise IMO is that you will find no oil-drainback holes in the pistons and this is the usual cause of Saturn's oil burining issues. New pistons will have some holes, or you can drill your own.

It sounds like you are better prepared for a rebuild or replacement than most people who tackle this

Some pictures from a recent rebuild by motrhed79 - engine rebuuilds for these cars are pretty well documented.

Wow, I just researched prices for a used engine, and I am shocked at how cheap they are. The last engine I bought for a BMW ran me $3,500. I guess on Saturday, I will take the head off and check for cracks.

Just curious, do these cars have the same problems as the aluminum block BMWs that when the engine overheats that the threads pull out of the block with the bolts? I have had to timesert many because a new engine was simply too expensive.

2006 BMW 330ci Fully Loaded 6 Speed Manual M Aerodynamics Package 59k

2000 Saturn SL1 5 Speed Manual 315k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Japanrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I don't recall reading about the threads pulling out - but the bolts are torque to yield, so you will want new bolts on hand

See OldNuc's post 19 for torque procedure here
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=172438

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbetz View Post
About a year ago I tore into my SW2 because of a blown head gasket (oil in coolant). I had never even changed my own oil before. A buddy of mine walked me through the process and introduced me to how easy it was to work on these cars. Did it with the engine in the car. Since you already have familiarity with engine work, should be a no-brainer, depending on how extensive you want to get.
Time, money, how soon you need the car running all factor into trade-offs of which route to take..
I wouldn't bother with just a top overhaul because eventually the oil control rings will go on the pistons and you'll be back where you started. Once you replace rings you need to machine the cylinders. Machining the cylinders requires pulling the block and sending to a machine shop.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #8
Japanrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I wouldn't bother with just a top overhaul because eventually the oil control rings will go on the pistons and you'll be back where you started. Once you replace rings you need to machine the cylinders. Machining the cylinders requires pulling the block and sending to a machine shop.

-Robert
I am going to get a local used engine for $300 with 90k on it. Should I go ahead and tear it down to freshen it up or toss it in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

Throw it in. Those engines are extremely durable. As long as it doesn't have a bunch of oil leaks, you should be good to go. Check the intake gasket, If it is the original composite gasket, change it. They are a little easier to replace with the engine out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

sure they are durable but just throw it in ? thats taking a roll of the dice if thats what you choose so be it check the ects and replace intake gasket with fel-pro gasket as these are thicker and better qualityfollow all torqing procedures on these engines or ask for trouble down the road

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

It might be worth the few extra bucks for a lower mileage engine. These engines like to burn oil later in life, and this is often the reason why they are in the junk yard in the first place.

Depending on your skill and motivation level, this might be a good opportunity for a DOHC swap. The head cracking issue which you have probably inherited isn't present in the DOHC. It's also harder to find a DOHC in decent condition. You'll need a number of things specfic to the DOHC, including the PCM with matching options, DOHC wire harness, and fuel rail with injectors. I believe you also need the intake and exhaust manifolds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'd say, it depends on what you want

Just to get it on the road quickly and cheaply, thow it in. You might have some oil burning, but if you don't mind checking it and filling, it's not an issue. You can always get another cheap engine and freshen that one up, or build start collecting parts for a DOHC freshen/swap down the road if you want an extra 24hp (there's also something you need to do to synch the new PCM to the BCM, but I'm not real familiar with 3rd gen)

There's a video thread on the front page today for drilling your own drain holes in the pistons, if you want to freshen it up with new rings, etc.

The intake gasket is a good idea, as that's a lot easier while the engine is out. There are a few other "what I should do while the enigne is out' threads... i think most of the suggestions center around the sensors and stuff that are in hard to reach places. Gently back-flushing the heater core and replacing the top starter bolt with a stud are some other ones.

You can minimze SOHC head cracking by keeping the antifreeze concentration at around 57% - many threads on avoiding 50/50 premixes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Japanrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I'd say, it depends on what you want

Just to get it on the road quickly and cheaply, thow it in. You might have some oil burning, but if you don't mind checking it and filling, it's not an issue. You can always get another cheap engine and freshen that one up, or build start collecting parts for a DOHC freshen/swap down the road if you want an extra 24hp (there's also something you need to do to synch the new PCM to the BCM, but I'm not real familiar with 3rd gen)

There's a video thread on the front page today for drilling your own drain holes in the pistons, if you want to freshen it up with new rings, etc.

The intake gasket is a good idea, as that's a lot easier while the engine is out. There are a few other "what I should do while the enigne is out' threads... i think most of the suggestions center around the sensors and stuff that are in hard to reach places. Gently back-flushing the heater core and replacing the top starter bolt with a stud are some other ones.

You can minimze SOHC head cracking by keeping the antifreeze concentration at around 57% - many threads on avoiding 50/50 premixes
I got it in, and 3000 miles later, no oil consumption at all. This car is going to replace my BMW as the daily driver, as my daily commute is over 30 miles each way. The premium fuel is eating me alive, and the BMW isn't exactly friendly on fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!