SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
speedy5489
speedy5489 is on a distinguished road

Default Water pump issue - need help

Working on my girlfriends car yesterday replacing the IM gasket and water pump and ran into a problem. Water pump had been leaking, purchased a GMB pump to replace it. When the new pump was installed, it had a good size leak on the top side of it. After taking the pump back off, double checking the gasket to make sure it was on properly, I noticed there is a hole in the block on the top side where it was leaking. Then comparing the old pump to the new, it appears the GMB pump has a raised contact area and won't sit flush against that hole. Gasket looks like it's designed to just cap it off, too. So, couple questions...

-What does this hole do?
-What pumps fit correctly so I don't run into this issue again?

I would post pics, but I can't until I have 15 posts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to speedy5489's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help speedy5489 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
speedy5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Water pump issue - need help

Is this an S series car? I've replaced a lot of waterpumps on these cars and have never had an issue like you are talking about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Year and model?

You can attach pictures using the "Attachment" feature - the paper clip icon above the editor window.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy5489 View Post
Working on my girlfriends car yesterday replacing the IM gasket and water pump and ran into a problem. Water pump had been leaking, purchased a GMB pump to replace it. When the new pump was installed, it had a good size leak on the top side of it. After taking the pump back off, double checking the gasket to make sure it was on properly, I noticed there is a hole in the block on the top side where it was leaking. Then comparing the old pump to the new, it appears the GMB pump has a raised contact area and won't sit flush against that hole. Gasket looks like it's designed to just cap it off, too. So, couple questions...

-What does this hole do?
-What pumps fit correctly so I don't run into this issue again?

I would post pics, but I can't until I have 15 posts...
The hole is an internal vent so the pump does not cavitate when running a low concentration of antifreeze (less than 50%). Keep the concentration where it belongs and you don't need it. Just get one of the other stamped metal pumps. There is not that much difference in quality right now. Name brands are superior to house brands usually though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
speedy5489
speedy5489 is on a distinguished road

Gah, I didn't even think about attaching a pic, I've always done IMG links.

It's an 01 SC1, right around 100k on the clock.

Coolant concentration has been 50/50 and nothing but. Been mixing it myself with spare coolant jugs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture001-2.jpg (115.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Picture002-2.jpg (114.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Picture003-2.jpg (177.2 KB, 26 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to speedy5489's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help speedy5489 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
speedy5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy5489 View Post
Coolant concentration has been 50/50 and nothing but. Been mixing it myself with spare coolant jugs.
When you drain and fill your system, unless you removed the hoses from the heater core, about 1 qt of fluid will remain in the heater core.

If you only drained and refilled, you should be OK

However, if you flush the system with water, then that quart in the heater core is mostly water. When you refill with 50/50, your final mix is less than 50/50, once it mixes with the water in the heater core.

That is why OldNuc advises (when refiling) to add 1 full gallon of 100% antifreeze, then topping off with distilled. It will mix quickly in the system and iirc, you should end up with something like 57/43, which provides adequate antifreeze protection (if you are in a warm climate you are probably fine with what you are doing)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote