SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
mikewire
mikewire will become famous soon enoughmikewire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Hard starting SW2...

Hi all - this is my first post here, but I'm not new to cars, but maybe a bit green when it comes to Saturns. I used to have a '94 SL2 about 8 years ago (looking to pick up another SL2 or SC2) but now most of my work is on VW and Audi. So I know cars, wrench a lot, but need a little help here.

Anyway, I have my sister-in-laws 1998 SW2 automatic in for service in my garage after dealing with a no start issue. I got it to start by holding the pedal down and drove it to my house.

I found the plugs were way out of spec (at least .080) and oil needed changed, so I grabbed some NGK's, filter and oil and changed them out last night.

I got it to start (cold motor), but it stumbled at first, held the pedal and it fired up and then started to run properly. If I blipped the throttle, it would want to die, then it would recover and rev fine. I noted in P that the idle was a bit high, at around 1K RPM's, in D, it dropped to 800 or so.

After cleaning the filthy throttle body, it's better, but still doing the same thing.

So, doing bit of searching it seems like a sensor of some sort. What I don't know - is it IAT, EGR, or something else? I don't have a generic ODB2 scanner, so I don't have codes, but I can pick one up.

Thoughts? Anything else I can do?

Last edited by mikewire; 06-26-2012 at 11:13 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikewire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikewire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikewire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Hard starting SW2...

The ECTS/connector would be a good place to start. That is the most problematic area on these cars. Normally, a defective one won't even trigger the SES light.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
mikewire

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseppi View Post
The ECTS/connector would be a good place to start. That is the most problematic area on these cars. Normally, a defective one won't even trigger the SES light.
Nice! Sounds like a great place to start looking. I'm assuming that's a coolant temp sensor? Not the sensor itself, but the connector? Can you point me in the direction of where it would be on the DOHC?

EDIT: NVM, I did some Googling and I found it.

Last edited by mikewire; 06-26-2012 at 01:23 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mikewire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

after switching out the ects, i would check the fuel pressure and look for a vacuum leak by spraying around the intake with brake cleaner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SC2
1995 SL2

check ects. if its the resin tip kind replace if its metal go on oldnucs pictures and look up the ohms at what temp and see if its reading correctly with a multimeter. if thats good i would check iac and see if there is any trouble codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
mikewire

2001 SC2

Wanted to say thanks guys, I have it all fixed up. It was definitely the ECTS!

Purchased a new sensor at Napa today for $13.95 and installed in about 10 minutes and the car starts and runs perfectly now.

Now I have a puzzler on an SL2 I am looking at on CraigsList...onto post another thread with pictures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Excellent. BTW: Its a myth that you need to drain the coolant to change the ECTS. You only loose about a teaspoon of fluid during the swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote