SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2
Default adding a filter to the hvac

i live in a really dusty agricultural area and i get sick of all the nasty smells and dust just coming right in even with the recirc on in my 95 sl2.. the main question i have is where could i get an exploded view of the hvac system for a 95-99?

And is it even possible without getting really inventive and making my own ducts/compartment?

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: adding a filter to the hvac

I would doubt it would help noticeably with smells, as the car isn't exactly sealed up tight. Might help a bit with dust, but it might also just clog up quickly & cut down on system function.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
93SC2'in

1993 SC2

the smells are not such a big deal as is the dust, but yeah i am concerned about that as well as the increased air resistance just from a clean filter making for weak output as well. But i know that 2000+ cars do have them did saturns ever come equipped with cabin filters?.. i may still poke around at the idea as i am stuck with this car for the foreseeable future and stuck in this dust bowl for now as well =/

95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Only real HVAC opening is under the hood. Passenger side, normally has a couple foam gasket's sandwiching a piece of wire mesh and is glued to the car.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #5
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

The HVAC module was not designed with envelope packaging for a filter nor was the blower motor spec'd out for the pressure drop across a filter.

Wear a surgical mask when driving, it's cheaper and more effective.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
93SC2'in

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
The HVAC module was not designed with envelope packaging for a filter nor was the blower motor spec'd out for the pressure drop across a filter.

Wear a surgical mask when driving, it's cheaper and more effective.
well i'm not gonna drive around with a surgical mask on, and wiring in a moar powerful blower motor is not an issue..

---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93SC2'in View Post
But i know that 2000+ cars do have them did saturns ever come equipped with cabin filters?
The S-Series never did. I'm not sure which other Saturns (if any) ever did, but making their filters work wouldn't be any easier than any other car's filter or components.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Tape a dryer sheet or some other similar filter material over the vent opening under the right side corner of the hood. It will catch most of the dust and help with smell somewhat. It can be changed regularly enough to keep airflow at a decent level. You could cut up a furnace filter, use one of the better ones that cost about 5 to 10 dollars each.
It won't help with dust that migrates in by way of door seals or open windows though. If you keep the fan switch in the second position and the windows closed, you should create enough positive interior pressure to combat the migration.
If you are really good at kludging, you could enlarge the vent hole and use more filter area.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
93SC2'in

1993 SC2

i will try that and see what happens, i also am gonna remove the upper dash and see what i can get onto the inlet for the resirc maybe i can sandwich it between them. i've been looking at oval shaped vacuum filters and i may be onto something..

---------------

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Wouldn't be when you drive near Harris Ranch's feed lot by any chance? The smell along I-5 there is enough to make you to swear off beef forever.

My beemer has a cabin air filter. It does help with dust but does absolutely nothing for smells of course (the molecules are too small).

Check out the hardware stores for lawnmower air filters. You might be able to find one that would fit over or entirely replace the screen at the top of the cowl under the hood, as referred to earlier. It would be of the same form as the regular engine air filter on these cars, just smaller. It shouldn't restrict too much as long as it was changed regularly.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Would a picture of the top half of the HVAC help?
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...EvapDebris.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #12
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Would a picture of the top half of the HVAC help?
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/a...EvapDebris.jpg
A Delphi Harrison HVAC module. Looks like the EVAP core was "Floodcoated" in Lockport, NY. I recall those modules being assembled and tested in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Putting that thing back together will certainly lead to some interesting whistles and other sounds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote