SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
vue2.2
vue2.2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default 03 vue replaced transmission, now wont start

The manual trans in my Vue went out and i replaced it with a used piece from lkq. I put everything back in the same way i took it out with the exception of a new clutch assembly , master and slave cylinder. Now I have lights, dash, radio, power windows and locks, a working key fob, dinging chimes but to my dismay it will not start. It will not even turn over. I have checked and rechecked every fuse and relay, i have checked the grounds, power wire, i took the starter and had it check out (it is okay, passed with flying colors) put in a new battery but i am stumped. The fuel pump kicks on and everything seems to be in order, but yet it will not start. The security light is not on unless you press lock on the keyfob, but it is strange. Everything electrical works except the starter. We have even gone so far as to try and push start it ( well, dragging it behind an F350 :-) But so far nothing. I have been researching now and I have heard, ecm or bcm or short somewhere. I know I am obviously missing something so any insight from anyone no matter how trivial please feel free to share. I will take any and alll info on the subject, thanks everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue2.2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue2.2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vue2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 vue replaced transmission, now wont start

There's a 2003 starter circuit wiring diagram in post # 2 of following thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=146731

The diagram reflects limited circuitry between 30A ignition fuse, ignition switch and clutch start interlock switch.

I believe I'd route a fused wire from battery and temporarily connect to pin S of starter solenoid.

If starter runs - problem's in ignition network.

If starter does not turn: (1) check big red cable back to battery, and/or (2) verify there's a ground cable between battery and frame and another from battery to engine.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm confused by descriptions.

Is this a "will not even turn over" dead silence issue when the ignition key is turned to the START position or the starter turns the engine but the engine never fires up?

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
vue2.2
vue2.2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Affirmative. When I turn the key to the "on" posistion , I get nothing. Even though everything seems to be in order. I'm going to dig into it a little more tomorrow with the new found info , but please keep any insights coming. Thanks guys! :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue2.2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue2.2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vue2.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:13 AM   #5
satlite440
satlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud ofsatlite440 has much to be proud of

2001 SL2

Circuit Description

Moving the ignition switch to the START position signals the body control module (BCM) through discrete inputs from the ignition transducer that engine crank has been requested. The BCM verifies that theft is not active and sends a serial data message to the ECM requesting engine start. The ECM receives a 12 volt signal from the park/neutral position switch or clutch pedal start switch notifying that it is safe to start the engine. There is a splice on this circuit in the fuse block - underhood that supplies power for the starter relay coil. The starter relay coil control circuit is then grounded by the ECM closing the switch in the starter relay suppling 12 volts to the S terminal of the starter. Ground is supplied through the engine block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
koshie6
koshie6 is on a distinguished road

Just finished my vti to manual swap tonight and my engine is turning over but not starting. I noticed you mentioned that the BCM verifies that "theft" is not active and sends a signal to the ECM to start. My security light is on and stays on since I hooked everything back up. Despite the clutch switch being cut (the way i bought it from the junk yard) it still turns over.

During the swap the computer closest to the fuse box had to be removed as it was being fed from the one directly on the engine (it appears that it was only for the vti operation).

Any ideas on what i can do to get the vehicle started?
thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to koshie6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help koshie6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
koshie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
rond
rond is on a distinguished road

Is there a switch on the clutch pedal to prevent engine start in gear? Check that it is working correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rond's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rond reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
genericusername
genericusername is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshie6 View Post
Just finished my vti to manual swap tonight and my engine is turning over but not starting. I noticed you mentioned that the BCM verifies that "theft" is not active and sends a signal to the ECM to start. My security light is on and stays on since I hooked everything back up. Despite the clutch switch being cut (the way i bought it from the junk yard) it still turns over.

During the swap the computer closest to the fuse box had to be removed as it was being fed from the one directly on the engine (it appears that it was only for the vti operation).

Any ideas on what i can do to get the vehicle started?
thanks
did you swap the computer when you did the tranny swap?
I know on my Mustang when i swapped to a manual, i had to change the ecu, and when i did that, i had to reflash the new one at the dealer to work with the ignition key. There's a chip in the key and it's unique to the ecm so the car can't be stolen. I know it's ford vs saturn and that's apples/oranges, but if you did change your computer and there is in fact a chip in the key like other gm's i've had, this may be your issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to genericusername's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help genericusername reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
genericusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:49 AM   #9
genericusername
genericusername is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rond View Post
Is there a switch on the clutch pedal to prevent engine start in gear? Check that it is working correctly.
it wouldnt crank over at all, at least mine doesn't if the switch isn't tripped.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to genericusername's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help genericusername reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
genericusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Do you hear the fuel pump run a couple of seconds when you turn the key on?

Did you swap the BCM and do a security relearn?

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshie6 View Post
Just finished my vti to manual swap tonight and my engine is turning over but not starting...... My security light is on and stays on since I hooked everything back up.....During the swap the computer closest to the fuse box had to be removed as it was being fed from the one directly on the engine (it appears that it was only for the vti operation). Any ideas on what i can do to get the vehicle started?
Security staying ON during starting means the injectors are disabled; the bcm's Passlock theft deterrent system is enabled and is preventing the engine from running. Search for and perform the (3)three 10-minute 'relearn' procedure. This should reset all computers and allow the engine to run.

GM's Passlock theft deterrent system incorporates three computers - ecm/pcm, bcm, and tcm to ensure each communicates to the bcm for a systems check and if the ignition key is used to start the engine. Any meddling with any of the components can result in a genuine or false theft detection that enables Passlock (the bcm turns on the security indicator during starting) and disables all injectors to prevent the engine from running. There's a (short) tamper feature where leaving the ignition ON beyond 10-minutes (and observing the security indicator change state) then cycling the ignition off before trying another start can reset Passlock or the 30-minute procedure for replacing Passlock components/powering up the EFI system with electronics disconnected/other issues.

If the VTI computer is disconnected then none of the above procedures apply because the bcm expects to communicate to all other computers as part of the security/maintenance/system self tests. Failure to communicate to any system computer (disconnected) is interpreted as theft and renders the engine inoperative/incapable of running. You can crank the engine all day until the battery dies or the starter burns out but the engine will never fire up.

I'm not sure if the tcm (xmission control module) is used in VTI's but if it does it must be connected even though its no longer needed; it must communicate to the bcm to allow the engine to run. The bcm manages security and sends a password to the engine computer; either to allow injectors to work or not. If the bcm does not see/communicate to the tcm and ecm/pcm then it thinks part of the car has been tampered with and sends a security code to the ecm/pcm to disable injector operation - a DEAD engine that can't be driven away. Towed yes, driven no.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote