SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
dyson
dyson is on a distinguished road

Default body control module

Does anyone know if I change my body control module will I have to get it reprogrammed? When I shut the car off it does not turn off the radio, any ideas on what it might be, I'm thinking body control module cause I already changed iginiton switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: body control module

Presumably it's the 2001 car mentioned in your other post? It'd be a good idea to put your car info in your profile, so it shows up below your user name.

Gen-3 electricals are rather more complex than its predecessors, but AFAIK the radio is still just controlled by one "always on" power circuit and one that goes through the ignition switch. Is it an aftermarket radio, by any chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post
Does anyone know if I change my body control module will I have to get it reprogrammed? When I shut the car off it does not turn off the radio, any ideas on what it might be, I'm thinking body control module cause I already changed iginiton switch.
Did a mechanic tell you that you needed to replace the BCM on your 96 Saturn?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

'96???!? S/he has only one other post, and mentions a 2001 car there. Where did '96 come from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
'96???!? S/he has only one other post, and mentions a 2001 car there. Where did '96 come from?
Because 96 is WAY funnier than 2001 when talking about a BCM. I didn't make that up either, we've had people here before that have been told that their early gen SC's needed a new BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
dyson
dyson is on a distinguished road

it is a 2001 .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson View Post
Does anyone know if I change my body control module will I have to get it reprogrammed? When I shut the car off it does not turn off the radio....already changed iginiton switch.
The bcm does not control power to the radio. As mentioned, the ignition switch provides switched 12v power for the radio. A second HOT wire is for radio memory. Swapping these two wires can cause this issue. One hint would be radio presets lost every time they're memorized; turning off the ignition and radio would remove the power for memory. In a normal configuration, the ignition switch would kill power to turn off the radio (if left on) but the always HOT second 12v wire remains to keep radio memory alive.

1-Is the radio original or aftermarket? If original, was this repaired and/or miswired? If aftermarket, was it wired correctly?

2-Replacing a ($400+) bcm to fix a radio problem doesn't make sense. New bcm's require programming from GM. Used ones retain mileage from the donor car and cannot be changed.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote