SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Read!! '05 Red Line torque converter campaign update!!!

I've been in talks with GM over the neutering of my Red Line under the torque converter campaign, as many of you know.

I went to my dealer this morning, expecting to pay them $85 for a diagnostic fee that wouldn't show any problems, just to get this issue escalated to someone higher within GM.

They had my Vue for about 30 minutes. When I walked in, they handed me the keys, told me there was an update to the PCM software - "We plugged it in, and it showed a new software number. We have no idea what it addresses, but we're not going to try to take it over 100 MPH to find out." - they did NOT charge me for the service visit, and off I went.

I took it up on the interstate, and waited for a clear cruising lane - hammered it - BOOM! 121 (ish) MPH!!!! UP HILL!!! I even did it a couple more times just to make sure

So, for everyone with a neutered '05 Red Line, make an appointment with your dealer! GM updated the software!!

I don't know if it was my complaining, or what, but they did it!!

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
05BlueVueRL
05BlueVueRL is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Read!! '05 Red Line torque converter campaign update!!!

Very interesting. I really haven't tried to max my speed since I've owned it but I might have to try it now.

Question though. When did you originally have yours reprogrammed? I think mine was done last October 2011 and was wondering when they possibly "updated" the program.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05BlueVueRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05BlueVueRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05BlueVueRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BlueVueRL View Post
Very interesting. I really haven't tried to max my speed since I've owned it but I might have to try it now.

Question though. When did you originally have yours reprogrammed? I think mine was done last October 2011 and was wondering when they possibly "updated" the program.

Thanks!
I had mine done in December '11, so I'm going to guess it was updated very recently.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
TheVue
TheVue is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

Do the documents you got from the dealer show what exactly was done? Is there a campaign number or a software update number of some type they refer to on the paperwork?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

I didn't get any paperwork from the dealer. The only thing they told me was when they plugged it in to the computer, it showed a different software number for the PCM.

I'm going to guess the reason I didn't get any paperwork is they did it off the books... no paper trail, so no charge. Otherwise, it would've cost me $85 for "diagnostics" fee. Communication between GM and the dealer may have had something to do with it.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Au Ra Vue
Au Ra Vue is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

So, what exactly is the reason for this update?

I was at the dealer and confirmed that mine was on the list, this recall expires in February of 2014 for my 2006 anyway.

I've read a few past threads and it seems like they have got it all figured out. Guess I should get it done..... but it sounds like I need to make sure the reprogramming is for the Redline and not a regular 3.5, correct?

*10/11/14 lost my timing belt virginity
*formerly Vue in Ontario

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Au Ra Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Au Ra Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Au Ra Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Hoagrod
Advanced Member
Hoagrod is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

I think it has to do with the gearing and rpms. When I would be going 30mph the rpms would be super low and seemed like it was bogging down. Much like that if in a manual you shift into a high gear going really slow, it boggs.

I could be wrong though.

Or nevermind, I think I'm thinking of the wrong thing

2006 Vue RedLine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hoagrod's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hoagrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hoagrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au Ra Vue View Post
So, what exactly is the reason for this update?

I was at the dealer and confirmed that mine was on the list, this recall expires in February of 2014 for my 2006 anyway.

I've read a few past threads and it seems like they have got it all figured out. Guess I should get it done..... but it sounds like I need to make sure the reprogramming is for the Redline and not a regular 3.5, correct?
It alters the shift points and torque converter lockup. After the reflash, you'll have to be going at least 50 MPH for it to be in 5th gear AND lockup the torque converter.

Only the '05 Red Line was effected by the incorrect PCM update. They gave them the same update as the standard V6 Vue (non-Red Line - governed at 100-ish). Others here with '06 or '07 Red Lines said theirs had no problem blowing past 100 MPH after having the update performed. Only those with '05 Red Lines reported the reduced top speed after the incorrect update.

It's strictly dependent on your VIN number. The dealer has no control as to which update you get. They just plug it in, and the Tech II does the rest.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
AJEsquire
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
It alters the shift points and torque converter lockup. After the reflash, you'll have to be going at least 50 MPH for it to be in 5th gear AND lockup the torque converter.

Only the '05 Red Line was effected by the incorrect PCM update. They gave them the same update as the standard V6 Vue (non-Red Line - governed at 100-ish). Others here with '06 or '07 Red Lines said theirs had no problem blowing past 100 MPH after having the update performed. Only those with '05 Red Lines reported the reduced top speed after the incorrect update.

It's strictly dependent on your VIN number. The dealer has no control as to which update you get. They just plug it in, and the Tech II does the rest.
Wow..once again....this site has saved me time and money. Needless to say I am NOT taking my RL back to the Chevy dealer I went to last week.

Anyhow, so I read this post and it gets me to thinking....maybe I should use my code reader tonight to see if the recall pops up. Then I think that since I just got it back last week from the service center at the dealer, they would have run my vin number and if there was a recall they would have told me. So I call and ask them if when people bring their vehicles in, do they check for recalls everytime? They told me yes, they put the vin number in the computer every visit to check. He told me that he could check my anyhow if I would like and I told them sure. Guess what? They have ordered a new torque converter and it's on its way :-/. So OBVIOUSLY they do NOT do a vin recall check every time you bring your vehicle in, so once again Thanx to this site time and money has been saved once again!!! And thanx to this sight I will not be going to a chevy dealer to get my car serviced again! lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

It isn't a "recall" under the normal sense. A code reader won't tell you anything. It's what GM calls a Customer Satisfaction Campaign. It has an expiration date and mileage limit of 120,000. Safety recalls have no such limits.

Keep in mind, this update will decrease your city mileage if you usually drive at speeds around 45 MPH. since you drive a lot under that speed, you shouldn't notice much difference.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
It isn't a "recall" under the normal sense. A code reader won't tell you anything. It's what GM calls a Customer Satisfaction Campaign. It has an expiration date and mileage limit of 120,000. Safety recalls have no such limits.

Keep in mind, this update will decrease your city mileage if you usually drive at speeds around 45 MPH. since you drive a lot under that speed, you shouldn't notice much difference.
Well, whatever it is? They are dropping my transmission and putting in another torque converter.

So let me ask this....I had no problem going 115 already....what is this supposed to do? Change my shift pts etc, because I always thought they were a little odd...and at times at 5-10 miles an hour it would seem a lil boggy...but
let me find out from you all what this is supposed to do, so that when I ask them what they did I can see how accurate they are or how much fluff they are blowing up mah arse!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

You should notice it shifting a little different, for sure. The difference compared to my '04 was night and day. It no longer had to run to about 3,000 RPM before shifting to second gear. You'll also notice it won't shift to 5th and lock the torque converter until at least 50 MPH.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
You should notice it shifting a little different, for sure. The difference compared to my '04 was night and day. It no longer had to run to about 3,000 RPM before shifting to second gear. You'll also notice it won't shift to 5th and lock the torque converter until at least 50 MPH.
Now..how do you know when it locks the torque converter? Is it that lil forward soft jolt you get when it shifts into fifth??? Is THAT what that is??? Because whenever I am casually accelerating I get one of those, but when I push it I don't....just thought it was the characteristics of the RL???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

If you want some torque I'd look into putting some Fu to the jita on that beast. You'll definitely feel a jolt!!!

2006 Vue RedLine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hoagrod reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #15
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagrod View Post
If you want some torque I'd look into putting some Fu to the jita on that beast. You'll definitely feel a jolt!!!
Do you work for them or get some sort of commission for mentioning their product? Seems like that is your answer for EVERYTHING lol ;-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #16
Hoagrod
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Haha, no I do not work for them. Just keeping things fresh and exciting that's all!!!! Let your 3.5L be heard!!!!!

2006 Vue RedLine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
Now..how do you know when it locks the torque converter?
Watch the tach - as speed increases - with steady throttle pressure - you'll see RPM drops for each gear change and you'll notice same when TC locks.

If you're above 60 - or so - and aggressively push gas pedal - the first RPM surge is typically not a downshift but is TC unlock.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
Now..how do you know when it locks the torque converter? Is it that lil forward soft jolt you get when it shifts into fifth??? Is THAT what that is??? Because whenever I am casually accelerating I get one of those, but when I push it I don't....just thought it was the characteristics of the RL???
Soft Jolt?? I get thise 'jolts' @ just about every upshift & my dealer tells me I don't understand the vehicle it's a 'busy' transmission. I have a early '06, & aside of the Body facades, wheels & trim, what is the difference on the Redline over the standard V6... firmware?

I've played the Dealer gammit enough on this one, fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #19
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Soft Jolt?? I get thise 'jolts' @ just about every upshift & my dealer tells me I don't understand the vehicle it's a 'busy' transmission. I have a early '06, & aside of the Body facades, wheels & trim, what is the difference on the Redline over the standard V6... firmware?

I've played the Dealer gammit enough on this one, fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice....
it's actually not fifth...i believe it's third or fourth...however...it is not the normal "soft" jolt...it's more pronounced than the other shifts...however, since they have addressed the torque converter issue, it is now gone! Now there is just the normal noticeable shift that is the same in every gear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
jbanderson
jbanderson is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

I had mine reprgamed about 4 months ago and it will not even think about going over 99-100

Also if will not downshift to second above 43-45mph (say passing a car or getting on the interstate) unless you manually move the shifter to low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbanderson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbanderson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbanderson is offline   Reply With Quote