SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
SATURNSLRICH
SATURNSLRICH is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
2001 SL2
Default Million mile saturn

What if any reaction would a SATURN get for hitting the million mile mark.Would this get main stream media coverage,is or would it be a big deal,Im just curios,A person I was friends with went a million miles in a volvo and it was major news everywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SATURNSLRICH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SATURNSLRICH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SATURNSLRICH is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
ptrentacosta
ptrentacosta is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1995 SC1
Default Re: Million mile saturn

When I worked at Saturn of Irving Texas I have service records of one that the last recorded service mileage was 565,628 on June 26, 1998. It was a 1993 SL2 with the vin# of 1G8ZK5573PZ205543 and it looks like it was put in service January 29, 1993. I also saw another half million mile S car traded in back in 2001. I have a way to go with mine, I only have 257,786 on it right now.

1994 Saturn SL-2 214,000 miles
1995 SC-1 276,000 miles R.I.P
Change your oil & Clean Your Throttle Body!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ptrentacosta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ptrentacosta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ptrentacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

and I still have a long ways to go with mine, I've got ~143k on mine

either way, depending on when you hit the million mile mark, someone will care, or someone won't. Hell there was that nurse that hit a million miles on a '64 Mercury Comet (IIRC) and while Mercury is going down the tubes right now, her story apparently caught on just in time.

try this in about 20 years or so.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

what would be really amazing is if a car could go those miles without any major engine service...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #5
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

One dude got a million miles out of his Saab with the original engine. It's said he did have the transmission replaced once over the cars lifetime. It's now in a car museum. I think that's an astonishing mileage number with any car. It would be sweet if a Saturn could do that without guzzling oil, or blowing a diff pin. I would love for either one of my cars to just hit 300k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ndSCowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ndSCowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #6
Derek McNelly
Advanced Member
Derek McNelly is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrentacosta View Post
When I worked at Saturn of Irving Texas I have service records of one that the last recorded service mileage was 565,628 on June 26, 1998. It was a 1993 SL2 with the vin# of 1G8ZK5573PZ205543 and it looks like it was put in service January 29, 1993.
Just ran that one on Carfax, and it looks like it's still on the road.

Last recorded mileage was 570,161 on 11/09/98.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Derek McNelly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Derek McNelly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Derek McNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

I made a pact with myself that when my 94 SC1 reached a million miles, I would "unofficially" retire it from road service.

Currently, that car; which I have owned since it was 3 years old (and purchased used with 59K miles on it in 1997); is currently in my driveway with a mileage reading of 340,501 ORIGINAL Engine Mileage and on the ORIGINAL AUTO TRANSMISSION.

In Oct. 2008, my car started misfiring on me, and after a number of compression tests both by myself and the Saturn dealership, Cylinder #3 is dead and the car is awaiting an engine rebuild.

That car was my first Saturn and was my daily driver, and everything I have learned how to work on, car wise, I did on that Saturn. I plan on rebuilding that car and using it on a daily basis, but not as much as I used to do.

I hit 300K in August 2006. And by daily driver; I was putting 60+ miles on my car a day round trip.

I do miss driving that car ("Amber"), and while I am still getting great mileage on my current drive (1994 SL2 "Dan")..."Amber" will always be my first Saturn and my first love when it comes to Saturn, overall.

I drove that car everywhere...I mean EVERYWHERE: Indianapolis, Spring Hill, Dayton, West Virginia...

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

if any car could reach a million miles the saturn can. hopefully mine will still be around! i have no interest in buying any other car in my lifetime!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

if a saturn hit a million it would have been huge to the saturn corp. i think they would have made a big deal out of it. now maybe a newpaper might think its a big deal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ Yeah, it's kinda like saying, "I hit 1 million miles on my AMC Gremlin"

It's interesting, but it's not going to sell any more new AMCs.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Saturndude82
Saturndude82 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

First of all, lets just assume we all have perfect running Saturns at say 200,000 mi currently. In order to hit a million miles we would all have to drive at least 8,333 mi a month for the next 8 years to hit a million. I am not saying our cars wont do it, but the cost of fuel 238 gallons a month at average of $2.75 a gallon would be $654 a month on just fuel, or $7848 a year assuming gas stays at this average which it wont, and at least 10 tire changes for stock tires of course, I would be out of the running.... Tires would cost me three times what the car is worth. Basically, unless someone plans on driving cross country and back every month, its not gonna happen. If it does then great, at least you will have the satisfaction of owning a million mile car. I can bet nobody else would want it though. I just like driving every mile like its a privilege that I am not wasting unnecessary gas and knowing my car will get me to where I want to go safely without being built in Mexico or worse... This million mile number is just that, a number, it wouldn't save saturn anyways. What would have saved saturn was if we all voiced our opinions to our family and friends and encourage them to buy American instead of cheap "throw away" imports. But its not too late, you can still buy Ford or GM, and possibly Chrysler if you like pushing your car, just make sure its built in the U.S. and tell your friends to do the same.

2002 Sl1 5 Speed Spring Special
Eibach Pro Kit ST-Struts
XXR-001 17in Rims Falken 205/45/17 Tires
Tint and Clear Corners
Thermal R&D Cat-Back!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturndude82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturndude82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturndude82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #12
manualman
manualman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

I say no way without a ring job. Even perfect maintenance will have her gulping the oil at 1qt/gas fillup by the time you hit 300,000 miles tops.

MAYBE if you allow rebuilds within that million.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to manualman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help manualman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
manualman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
I say no way without a ring job. Even perfect maintenance will have her gulping the oil at 1qt/gas fillup by the time you hit 300,000 miles tops.
There are plenty of folks with 300,000 + with lower consumption than that. But even granting that, so that's three quarts every 1000 miles, for the last 700,000 miles. 2100 quarts of oil. Total oil cost is more than the car is worth, but that's no reflection on the longevity. Compression and engine performance would remain pretty-much the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
2ndSCowner
2ndSCowner is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1994 SL2

Ouch, what do you have against imports? j/k

I agree. You would wind up proably spending more on oil than gas. I think Saturns are great vehicles, but I do not expect it to go more than 300k. I don't expect any vehicle whether it's an Import or American made to last.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ndSCowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ndSCowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ndSCowner is offline   Reply With Quote