SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
larrybud
larrybud is on a distinguished road

Default Removal of 96 SOHC Cam Sprocket

I'm doing a head gasket change, and trying to remove the cam sprocket, but the bolt won't budge. It's not a left hand thread, is it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to larrybud's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help larrybud reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
larrybud is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Removal of 96 SOHC Cam Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybud View Post
I'm doing a head gasket change, and trying to remove the cam sprocket, but the bolt won't budge. It's not a left hand thread, is it?
Lefty loosey, righty tighty.

A breaker bar and a length of pipe is something you might need.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
larrybud
larrybud is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to make sure before I wail on it! Thx.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to larrybud's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help larrybud reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
larrybud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
jamie930
jamie930 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Just remove the whole cam from the head. Makes the head lighter to lift out, and then you dont have to crank the gear back on later

Seeing how you have a SOHC motor have the head pressure tested. The SOHC head like to crack for some reason. I think that they like to crack at the 3# cam journal. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jamie930's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jamie930 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jamie930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Checkered Flag Re: Removal of 96 SOHC Cam Sprocket

Second on getting the head checked. Some years of SOHC have a cracking tendancy. IIRC you can get a complete *new* SOHC head for less than $350

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Abe95SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

No, it's not reverse threaded, but it is torqued to 75 ft/lbs. There is a flat about midway down on the cam to hold it with a wrench...22mm if I remember right. It'll come out.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie930 View Post
Just remove the whole cam from the head. Makes the head lighter to lift out, and then you dont have to crank the gear back on later

Seeing how you have a SOHC motor have the head pressure tested. The SOHC head like to crack for some reason. I think that they like to crack at the 3# cam journal. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
You're wrong. They crack on the #4 cam journal, and if the OP doesn't have a thick milksahke mess in his overflow bottle, then the head isn't cracked. Sending it out would be a waste of money and time. There's also no need to take the cam out when removing the head. The head isn't very heavy, and neither is the cam, or the sprocket. I remove the head with the intake still attached, gives you something nice and solid to grab onto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
V9exp
V9exp is on a distinguished road

2001 SC1

Its a standard thread, lefty loosy righty tighty. and yes there is a wrench flat (7/8) just past your first 2 or 4 lifters 74ft/lbs. I highly recomend having 2 people for the job when breaking it loose with a cheater bar. make sure your crank is 90 degrees past TDC and your camshaft its at dead on TDC when reinstalling your head. this ensures no damage to your valves. when accomplished just counter rotate your crank back to TDC and install timing components.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to V9exp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help V9exp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
V9exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Two people?? Sounds like a bit much. I've never needed more than a 15mm wrench to break the cam bolt free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!