SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
LinuxPunk
LinuxPunk is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Clutch replacement

Hey guys,

I used to be on this forum alot! I had a 94 SL....I just bought a 92 with the twin cam i was sooo excited!! however the transmission is in the trunk with all the screws the mounts and the clutch i checked out the clutch and its done!! So i bought a clutch kit...I just need sum help i really hate going into a project half way thru! I dont know where the mounts go what so ever i found the clutch replacement but i need pictures as to where the motor mounts go and how the throwout bearing and the clutch go on? does any one have ne pictures? that would be really sweet or even if someone could explain it to me? i really wanna get this car on the road. But without a clutch and a transmission its kinda hard!! Thank-you!!

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LinuxPunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LinuxPunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LinuxPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Clutch replacement

A quick search on this would have lead you to this

http://www.cristhomas.com/cars/Clutch/ClutchHowTo.html

With pictures and everything.

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ya i know i found that. Thank-you for making that however i didnt remove the transmission or the mounts i would like if someone could explain where they all go? or maybe sum pictures of the transmission mounts and the clutch assembled on the flywheel so i know how to put it on. Also how the throwout bearing gets replaced! Thank-you for your reply!

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LinuxPunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-01-2006, 02:36 PM   #4
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2

I'm not sure I understand. You want to repalce the clutch without removing the transmision? Thats going to be kinda hard.

If you read throught the directions it should be oretty self explanatory were everything goes. I would especially recomend ready the very first part. Especially the first paragraph.

There are only two motor mounts involved. The first is the 'dogbone' located on the top of the transmision housing. The second is a small square rubber piece that sits under the transmision and mounts to the engine frame.

The Clutch just mates to the flywheel. There isn't a lot to it. Just six small nuts that secure it. The throughout bearing sits inside the Transmission houseing. Basically it goes back together the same way it was taken apart. If it is already apart and you never saw it together trying to explain it will be kinda difficult. It is not like I have dissasembled engines laying around that I can go take pictures of. Sorry.

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 04:39 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_thomas
Basically it goes back together the same way it was taken apart. If it is already apart and you never saw it together trying to explain it will be kinda difficult.
That's exactly the sitch. As his opening post states, the tranny is in the trunk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
guitar_stitch
guitar_stitch will become famous soon enough

1996 SL2

Poor fella has acquired a vehicle where the transmission has already been removed, presumably for the said clutch replacement. Now he needs help piecing it back together, taking up where the previous shadetree mechanic left off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to guitar_stitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help guitar_stitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
guitar_stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ya exactly the transmission is in the trunk i went through all the gears and the tranny seems to be fine! But i just wanted sum pictures of how the mounts go on but hopefully ill be able to get it back together fine! Ok so the clutch gets screwed on to the flywheel thats one assembly or is there sumthing else that goes on to? clutch plate? or is that in the with the clutch assembly? The throwout bearing gets put on the input shaft? Does it required to be bolted down or ne thing? Thanks for your help sorry my stupidness!!

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

one mount is a rubber block with a long threaded rod on it. This rod points down and goes through the subframe and is relatively underneath the tranny.

The other dogbone mount is higher up and goes under the battery tray (where the battery would be) and connects to the "fender frame". A bracket attaches to the tranny and this dogbone, that bracket has a bend in it so the dogbone lines up correctly. IIRC the rubbery part of the dogbone attaches to the car and the "solid" eye the trans bracket.

One thing to check is they probably dropped the subframe to get the tranny out. Make sure all those bolts are tight when you're done with the job (you'll drop it again) and that the steering rack is connected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ok i have one more question the clutch plate annd the clutch both get bolted up to the flywheel? and then the throwout bearing gets put onto the imput shaft? does it just slide on? is there anything holding it on there?

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 AM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

You should really spend that $20 and get a repair manual.

Yes, clutch goes in between the flywheel and pressure plate. And you HAVE to align the clutch right in the MIDDLE or else you'll never gonna get that input shaft in it. Yes, throw-out bearing goes on the input shaft.

You'll also need to resurface the flywheel *machine shop* and use thread lock on those fly wheel bolts, AND torque them down to specification. So, are the bolts for the pressure plate.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #11
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Check out the user gallery for the board member Razorback. Literally every picture of every bit you could possibly need. Including step by step as it came apart and went back together. The TORQUE SPECS are in the "How to Library" section of the board.

NOTE: In his rebuild, he removed the engine and transaxle as a UNIT, but mating them back up in the car (what goes where wise) is the same. You will be installing the transaxle from BELOW, after removing the engine cradle while supporting the engine from ABOVE.

Just a sample of what you will find: (and a quick link to the gallery and most of the pictures related to the clutch/transaxle)

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...0/ppuser/11380

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

Last edited by wolfman; 05-12-2006 at 04:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ok sweet thanks wolfman!! Ok i have a few other questions about this! i put on the clutch and aligned it using the clutch tool. I put the clutch plate on so the blue mark was face out and tried to line it up to the clutch's blue mark....I hope thats right!!! Also do those blue marks suppose to line up with sumthing on the flywheel? Sorry guys i just kinda got in a tight situation with this! Thanks for all your help so far

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I wonder if the blue mark is just for balancing at the factory or as an indicator of "this side out".

When the clutch is disengaged these marks will no longer line up, if I read you right.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #14
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ok i got it all installed the transmission is in all the mounts are on. However i have a question the steering wheel just spins around? the tierods dont move? arent the still suppose to move? the passenger side is still hook up to the strut the drivers side isent....I went to turn the steering wheel to move the strut alittle to put in the drvie axle? Shouldnt it be moving? did i break the steering rack? Thank-you

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

As I said in my first post:

Quote:
Make sure all those bolts are tight when you're done with the job (you'll drop it again) and that the steering rack is connected.
There are two bolts that go through both the rack and subframe, they are about six inches long and IIRC have 13mm heads. I imagine they're grade 10.9 so I'd get 'em at the dealer if they aren't floating around in a parts bucket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2006, 05:33 PM   #16
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

maybe the pinch nut from the steering intermediate shaft to the steering rack is not connected? lift that big-rubbery-accordion-looking thingy and you'll have your answer.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:00 AM   #17
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Ok thank you geartooth94....hm however.....the steering was working before i started puting the transmission back in. I just went to turn the tie rod on the passenger side and the steering wheel just kept turning like it wasnt attached to anything! I checked under the rubber thingy and it all looked like it was hooked up....This thin little metal piece kinda round fell out? I dunno what that is? Like i said the steering WAS working before! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:34 AM   #18
LinuxPunk

1995 SL1

Anyone? i really need help the steering wheel just turns around and around!!! the tie rods dont move!! I forgot to disconnect the rack n pinion steering from the sub frame when i disconnected so im thinking sumthing messed up!!!

Matt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-26-2006, 02:56 AM   #19
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The steering wheel shaft connects to the steering rack with a SLIP YOKE and a pinch bolt. Slide up the BOOT that covers this connection and the problem should present itself.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
ported 95 sohc
ported 95 sohc is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: steering rack

if your steering racks got a bad bearing,
then you can fit a new one!
The one i have was 1 mm too wide from a bearing shop and had them fit a new one i had to grinding it thinner
Also you'll need the thing behide the steering wheel it's a small round box for the horn, air bag, ect. electrical connectors (air bag light has been on ever since this happened to me) replace and give your steering rack a once over with greese.
And fill the hole with the bearing in it right up with good grease and you should be good?
man that's a pain but will save alot of money!
aline everything correctly
also remove rack to work on it's much easier!
steering wheel should be dead strait after an alinement but mine hasn't been in 100,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ported 95 sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ported 95 sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ported 95 sohc is offline   Reply With Quote