SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default body panels?

real quick question here -

will the running board panel (not sure if that's really what it's called, but the piece running below the driver and passenger doors) from an SWx fit an SLx?

i'm assuming yes, but i want to double-check before i buy one.

additionally - how is this piece attached? i assumed just those plastic screw/rivet things, but i couldn't pry it off (didn't put in much effort for fear of breaking it)

and, lastly, how does one remove the pinstripes from body panels? i got a door panel, and got it off with a razor blade and lots of patience, but is there an easier way?

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL
Default Re: body panels?

anybody?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisSL View Post
real quick question here -

will the running board panel (not sure if that's really what it's called, but the piece running below the driver and passenger doors) from an SWx fit an SLx?

i'm assuming yes, but i want to double-check before i buy one.

If you are asking about the rocker panel then yes, they are the same.

additionally - how is this piece attached? i assumed just those plastic screw/rivet things, but i couldn't pry it off (didn't put in much effort for fear of breaking it)

The same kind of pins that hold the splash shields on. Looks like 10 to a side and a clip and a screw at the rear. All from looking at the parts book, could be entirely different on the ground.

and, lastly, how does one remove the pinstripes from body panels? i got a door panel, and got it off with a razor blade and lots of patience, but is there an easier way?
A product made by 3M called Stripe and Decal Remover. You get it at teh place that sells real automotive paints in big cans. And all the other body finishing supplies. Its not that cheap either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
A product made by 3M called Stripe and Decal Remover. You get it at teh place that sells real automotive paints in big cans. And all the other body finishing supplies. Its not that cheap either.
hmm... not cheap = razor blade method again next time. it worked well, but was very time-consuming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Gen-2/3 show a rocker panel and a rocker moulding (not sure which is which). F or a given year, wagon and sedan use the same part. Alas, my parts diagrams only go back to '96, and I know that's one area where the gen-1s were quite different.

The replacement quarter panel I got from NC following the deer crash had one of the hideous pin-stripes, along with something like "97 Satrun wagon" written in yellow junkyard-pen on the OUTSIDE of the panel . IIRC, I used a combination of a razor blade, a rubbing compound / paste wax blend, alcohol (both internal and topical) and a LOT of time and Zen patience. It took aprx. 3x as long to make the darn thing look even borderine presentable, than it did to bolt it on. I don't think there's any free lunch in this case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:31 PM   #6
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The replacement quarter panel I got from NC following the deer crash had one of the hideous pin-stripes, along with something like "97 Satrun wagon" written in yellow junkyard-pen on the OUTSIDE of the panel . IIRC, I used a combination of a razor blade, a rubbing compound / paste wax blend, alcohol (both internal and topical) and a LOT of time and Zen patience. It took aprx. 3x as long to make the darn thing look even borderine presentable, than it did to bolt it on. I don't think there's any free lunch in this case.
junkyard pen responded well to mild cleanser.
and, yeah, much longer to take off the stripe than to remove the panel. woulda gone for one without a stripe, but it was the only one in my color.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisSL View Post
hmm... not cheap = razor blade method again next time. it worked well, but was very time-consuming.
Pick up an end and use a high power hair dryer on them. A product called Goo OFF will cut the adhesive. It also can damage some paints if left on so be careful with it.

Take a picture of the part you are looking for. Looks like they all swap as long as you do not cross generational lines. The 93-95 interchange.

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-13-2009 at 11:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
KevinVarnes
KevinVarnes has a spectacular aura aboutKevinVarnes has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL1
1995 SW2

3M makes a "stripe off wheel" to remove pinstripes. It's basically a big rubber eraser that you chuck up to a die grinder/drill/etc. You should be able to find one at at good auto parts store. I think they are in the $30-$40 range though.

'89 Cougar XR-7 5 Speed
'95 T-Bird SC 5 Speed
'93 T-Bird SC AOD
'91 Crown Vic P72 351W
'00 Saturn SL1 5 Speed (wife's car)
'95 Saturn SW2 (automatic for now)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KevinVarnes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KevinVarnes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KevinVarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The 3M remover is not that bad... I never thought much of the eraser. Visions of trashed paint.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinVarnes View Post
3M makes a "stripe off wheel" to remove pinstripes. It's basically a big rubber eraser that you chuck up to a die grinder/drill/etc. You should be able to find one at at good auto parts store. I think they are in the $30-$40 range though.
+1 on this. It works great. I got one for $20 at an automotive paint supply company.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM   #11
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

i work about a block from an auto paint supplier, so i'll hop over there during lunch tomorrow and see what they have to say and what the want for each of these products.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!