SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #1
WV6Z
WV6Z is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2002 SL2
Default Alignment Questions

Well, if you saw my very first post regarding my junk yard find/resurrection asking about adding cruise control to an '04 level 2 sedan with an automatic transmission, you may have noticed that I had to replace the rear axle assembly. So, my question is this, as I have yet to get an alignment, as I am just finishing up this project car and road trips have been little more than to see how it's all coming together, am I right in the assumption that the Ion is pretty much a front alignment only vehicle? Sure, I can see that to aim for factory spec perfection (yes, that is an attempt at humor ), some frame pulling may be required, but, as the front end would appear to be the only 'axle' with alignment adjustment, is my assumption correct?

Also, as I was thinking along the lines of it potentially only being a front end adjustment, is my local shop's offered quote of $99 + tax (and potentially parts) reasonable? My Civic's 4 wheel alignment was $69 + tax about 2 months ago is what I am comparing this against for my own point of reference, so, what do you folks say?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WV6Z's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WV6Z reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WV6Z is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
JH6
JH6 will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Alignment Questions

I do get a regular 4 wheel alignment on my 03 ion.

Comes to about 65 bucks, anything much more than that price is too much.

Most chain type places have a coupon, check your paper closely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JH6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JH6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

I get 4 wheel alignment in all my front drive cars.

As stated above, look for a coupon in paper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
WV6Z

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2002 SL2

I thought that there was no rear axle adjustment on the Ion? Hmmmm, guess I will have to take a look - see, because if I ended up paying for a 4 wheel alignment on a car that allows for no rear axle adjustment, I might come unglued on the local tire and balance hack shop guy......

Now if they are actually using a frame machine, I guess that would be different, but, hey, if I need to have my car put on a frame machine to align it, I think I will buy a 'For Sale' sign for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WV6Z's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WV6Z reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
DukeCitySC2
DukeCitySC2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
1993 SC2

They do have shims (available at NAPA) to correct the rear stub axles if needed. A "thrust" alignment is what I get on FWD, it is more than a simple front end alignment but less than a full 4-wheel alignment.

The one thing I have learned to make very clear to the shop is, I want the steering wheel centered!! It is entirely possible to have perfect alignment all around but NOT have the wheel centered, and I can't believe they would think that's acceptable, but sure enough I've been burned on this. I have them write it on the work order.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DukeCitySC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DukeCitySC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DukeCitySC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
WV6Z

2004 ION-2 Sedan
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCitySC2 View Post
They do have shims (available at NAPA) to correct the rear stub axles if needed. A "thrust" alignment is what I get on FWD, it is more than a simple front end alignment but less than a full 4-wheel alignment.

The one thing I have learned to make very clear to the shop is, I want the steering wheel centered!! It is entirely possible to have perfect alignment all around but NOT have the wheel centered, and I can't believe they would think that's acceptable, but sure enough I've been burned on this. I have them write it on the work order.
Thanks for the reply, I will remember that!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WV6Z's Reputation
Old 06-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
unit731
unit731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeCitySC2 View Post

Yes, I learned this the hard way long time ago. And like an idiot, I believed the manager at auto chain repair place. He told me that the two are connected and that the steering wheel cannot be moved to center it once the alignment is done - and I believed him. Never went back to that place again.

Now, when I have an alignment at any shop, I ask to personally speak with the mechanic doing the alignment. I look him/her in the eyes and state that i want my steering wheel centered when done.

Some reply that they do not touch/adjust/move/unlock or in any manner move the steering wheel in Front Drive Cars for alignment. I have no idea if this is true or not.

I still speak with person doing the alignment each and every time.

Also, request to DRIVE the car before you pay for alignment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unit731's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unit731 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unit731 is offline   Reply With Quote