SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 08:02 PM   #1
theamcaddict
theamcaddict is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1
Default P0507

1997 SL2
All Maintenance is up to date.
The following diagnostic checks have been done(No vacuum leaks,electrical does not appear to be damaged, and checked all sensor readings through TECH2.)
When working with the scanner(TECH2) I commanded the idle air control valve through the whole RPM range and the RPM's would not drop below 2200 initially but would go to maximum of 3000 which is the highest that test will allow. After allowing the car to run for 30-45 minutes and after TECH2 was disconnected the idle dropped back to normal only to return to being stuck at 2200 RPM's upon next start up. After all of that I put in a new coolant temp sensor and it idled fine for awhile until later returning to 1500 RPM's.
A good used idle air control valve is goin in on monday which should fix the situation.
Has anyone had a IAC valve get that stuck at a certain RPM consistently before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to theamcaddict's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help theamcaddict reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
theamcaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
saturncrzy
saturncrzy will become famous soon enough

1992 SL2
1997 SC2
Default Re: P0507

yes i have. But it was not in a saturn it was in a 1990 isuzu impulse. I cleaned it and idle was fine for months but did end up going out on me completly. so i replaced it and ran fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncrzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncrzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturncrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
theamcaddict

2000 SL1

I left out the detail that I BLASTED this thing with a whole can of brake/throttle body cleaner while it was running and it did help. It initially only dropped to normal idle after running for 30-45 minutes.
Anyone else?

Last edited by theamcaddict; 03-15-2009 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: cause I want to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help theamcaddict reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

How do you know its the iacv that's causing the high rpm's? Why couldn't it be the throttle position sensor (TPS)? Those that have high idling problems, shut off the engine and then re-started again with the idle returning to normal, replaced their tps as the fix. There's also the thermostat that stays open and runs the engine cooler than normal, affecting the coolant sensor that can force the PCM to run the engine slightly richer in the fuel/air mixture and keep the idle higher.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 03-15-2009 at 09:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
theamcaddict

2000 SL1

All sensors were reading great in the IAC special function section of the tech2.
It was reading %0 with throttle blade closed and looked fine all the way up to wide open throttle, Voltages swept all the way up to near 5 volts at wide open throttle also.
Sensor reads fine throughout the whole range.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think you are fortunate to be able to use a Techtool II but equipment isn't the answer to everything. Its what between the ears that makes a repair a matter of parts substitution or someone that uses tools to determine a repair.

I've never seen or handled a crank position sensor (CPS) in my life but from education from this site and some knowledge of EFI I've been helpful to some members in determining their cps' as faulty. No equipment used, just reading descriptions from posts and careful attention to details. No crystal ball can ever substitute knowledge.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
theamcaddict

2000 SL1
Thumbs Up Re: P0507

CPS's are super common on those 3.0 motors. I've seen more than enough of those little buggers . Sometimes it's very convenient not having to take out the multimeter I must admit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I, for one, am interested in the outcome of the IAC replacement. I would have been more inclined to suspect the TPS initially. Something has to be telling the IAC where to go. Its a simple stepper motor and has no idea where its at. There are a couple of other inputs that could do this also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
theamcaddict

2000 SL1

Idle air control valve fixed the "stuck" idle.
Back to the original question has anyone had an idle air control valve that got that stuck?

Save the parts,invest in diagnostics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It would be interesting to do a non destructive failure diagnosis on that IAC. Did you measure each stepper coil resistance by any chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:00 PM   #11
theamcaddict

2000 SL1

I did not check the stepper coil resistance. I have never seen the IAC get stuck in different positions like that. I've seen intermittent high idles caused by the IAC that go away when the engine is restart but this was a new one for me. The pintle valve was very clean but it was loose and had side to side play.
This was also clearly an aftermarket IAC that someone had put in a while ago.

Save the parts,invest in diagnostics.

Last edited by theamcaddict; 03-17-2009 at 11:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Interesting. It is not supposed to wiggle back and forth. Another high quality aftermarket part...not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!