SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #1
Shuzer
Shuzer is on a distinguished road

Default Aftermarket radio problems (2004 Saturn Ion 1)

Hey guys, I'm at my wit's end here. I spent about 6 hours tonight (first time I've ever done anything like this!) installing an aftermarket JVC KD-HDR30 HD radio receiver in my car today. It works fine: speakers, power, CD player, etc. BUT... I'm not receiving ANY radio stations! At first, I thought "oh, I probably forgot to plug the antenna back in..." but lo and behold, I had plugged it in. Then I pondered if maybe I needed an antenna adapter to fit the JVC receiver, and after some googling, this doesn't seem to be the case for a 2004 Saturn Ion.

So, what do you guys think it could be? If the deck is operating properly, minus receiving a signal, is it the plug for the antenna or is it possible I messed up wiring? FYI: I used the harness that was strapped to the bottom of the OE radio, and just clipped the wires and soldered the JVC wires to it (ie. I didn't touch the car's actual wiring harness).

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: It's a 4 door sedan with the standard radio.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shuzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shuzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Aftermarket radio problems (2004 Saturn Ion 1)

why didn't you spring for the adapter kit? that's most likely your problem, nobody ever gets the wiring adapter kit. rewire in the stock radio wiring harness (which IS part of the car's actual wiring harness, since more than you think goes through the radios on these things) and get a wiring adapter from crutchfield.com

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
firestomper25
firestomper25 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
why didn't you spring for the adapter kit? that's most likely your problem, nobody ever gets the wiring adapter kit. rewire in the stock radio wiring harness (which IS part of the car's actual wiring harness, since more than you think goes through the radios on these things) and get a wiring adapter from crutchfield.com
agian i agree noone has patience to wait ofr one to come in.. they just want to go and do it .. i use an adapter for my speakers too .. its just easier just plug them in cap or electric tape some wires 15 mins absolute tops more like 5 mins..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to firestomper25's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help firestomper25 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
firestomper25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Shuzer

I *did* buy a wiring adapter harness that was supposed to work for the car. Unfortunately, it didn't. I think CircuitCity screwed me there. Here's the wiring harness I bought that didn't do me any good: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do

I can wait to use my radio, it doesn't matter. So you're telling me to buy this? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207021...s.html?tp=2977

I'm not sure how this is going to be any different than the harness I used, but if you think that could be doing it, I'll be glad to spring for it. But again, I ask, can the wiring really prevent me from getting a signal on the radio but everything else is working normally?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shuzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if you bought a kit, only a few things come to mind, did you ground the stereo to the harness or the car, if you grounded it to the harness, try grounding it to the car. did the radio work on the old stereo? if not, you may have a bad antenna ground or cable, if it did, check the antenna cable end for looseness or damage. Also, did your adapter come with a wiring guide? if it did, did you follow it?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Shuzer

The adapter that I bought had no wiring guide, but all the wiring colors matched up to the power cord provided by JVC. I'm pretty sure it was the wrong one though, there were 3 too many wires ... that shouldn't happen, right?

Once I switched to the harness that was used with the OE radio, I tried grounding to both the harness as well as the chassis, neither made a difference. I tried to make sure the antenna plug was secured 5 or 6 times. Like I said, if there was a wiring problem, would the unit power on and produce audio? I will buy the harness from crutchfield if I must. I would like to save money, if possible, so if I can resolver it without I would love to. Thanks for the replies so far

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the problem wit wiring harnesses is the wires almost never match in colors and function, if you have to, return the one from circuit city (they will if you tell them it didn't work) and get the one from crutchfield which will have a diagram, and match what that diagram says the wire does with what the JVC diagram says it's wire does. radios usually won't work unless everything is wired correctly. There are sometimes unused wires on the JVC harness, but never on the stock to aftermarket adapter, though sometimes two wires go to one.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Hello. there were extra wires going to the orignal stereo in mine and the harness i bought also had extra wires(power antenna, etc).

go to this website and verify that you have all the wires matching up right http://www.installdr.com/QuickWiring.html

I would say you "do" have it hooked up right if every thing but the Fm/am works.

check the manual, i bought a JVC for an old nissan i had 7 years ago and i remember there being a setting for my regain. I had to chose US or UK, i believe those where the options. if its set to the wrong region it might not be looking at the right frequencies. Thats just a guess on my part though!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

if JVC has regional settings, they're alone, I've had the same pioneer in Germany and here in MI

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
phillthy
phillthy is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

region/area settings are on page 18 of your manual

Its set to USA by default but i know i've been know to mess with settings i shouldnt when i set things up

US: [Initial]; When using the unit in North/Central/South America. The AM/FM intervals are set to 10 kHz/200 kHz. AREA EU: When using the unit in any other areas. The AM/FM intervals are set to 9 kHz/50 kHz (100 kHz during auto search). AREA SA: When using the unit in South American countries where the FM interval is 100 kHz. The AM interval is set to 10 kHz.

also the troubleshooting section talks about making sure you have the unit set to analog and NOT digital,i don't know if you have any digital(HD) channels in your area! in fact i have never used a stereo that could do HD channels.

good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phillthy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phillthy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phillthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #11
Shuzer

I bought a new harness that I have verified is correct for my car at Fry's (Metra 70-2102) and I am driving home and will set the JVC cable up with that using both diagrams hopefully I can post back with success I will let you guys know, thanks for all the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
Shuzer

Well, I picked up that new wire harness and the first thing I did when I got home was to solder the harness cables to the JVC power cable (while following the wiring diagram) and then once I finished I eagerly fired the receiver up.

Same problem.

Anyone have ANY suggestions? Could it be a bad receiver? I've messed around with all the region settings/etc, it's just not picking up anything. Sound is working beautifully with a CD, though. Could this be an antenna issue? Ugh.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #13
jaysastra04
jaysastra04 is on a distinguished road

i have a opel astra g (model astra before the h), my antenna is powered, no i dont mean it pops up when i turn stereo on, i mean it needs power to be able to pick up the stations better.
im guessing your car is the same and you need to hook up the power wire for your antenna.
good luck,

ps, if all else fails, head over to opelaus.com and ask them, them might be able to help you mate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaysastra04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaysastra04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaysastra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

NO STOP, don't run power to the ion's antenna, the ion is not the same as the astra, the most likely problem is the deck

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
nababbo
nababbo is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

don't you just love it when people shoot from the hips?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nababbo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nababbo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nababbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yeah, and when people just assume that a german car is the same as a german engineered american car, and why would you go to an opel support site for an american saturn?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #17
Shuzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
NO STOP, don't run power to the ion's antenna, the ion is not the same as the astra, the most likely problem is the deck
Ok, so, that's the only other question I have then before I take the deck back.

The JVC power cable has that amp/powered antenna wire, saying it was optional. I had no cable on the factory harness that matched it, so I left it. No stations.

The Metra harness I purchased had the matching wire (not just color wise either, also according to the wiring diagram) so I attached it. No stations. Was this a no-no and should I disconnect it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you don't need the power antenna connected, so yes, I would disconnect it.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #19
Shuzer

Alright. Thanks a ton for all your help I guess I'll take the deck back today and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #20
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you're welcome, hopefully you can find a good working deck

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!