SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
czechers
czechers is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Question Ping? Dealer Service?

I brought my '08 3 door to the dealer almost 2 weeks ago. I needed a lube, oil, filter, and tire rotation at 6K miles.

My little plastic panel in the overhead area behind the lights kept falling down. "Its been fixed". I am pretty sure that they glued or cable tied one of the clips. Now only falls down on the driver side.

I have a ping on accellaration. I have tried regular, premium, mid grade. After religiously getting Mobil I tried Citgo, Shell, BP, and Chevron. Dealer says "We only heard it when we drove between two other cars, not very noticable. There has been a bulletin sent out as this is a new car and high level of concern. At the very least it has been documented. Try Chevron." My receipt reads "Customer claims ping on accelleration. Could not duplicate." Well, to me that says... "You're hearing things... and even if you're not, prove it in 37K miles when your engine self-destructs."

My tail light was cracked on the inside at delivery May 29th. This was the first time that I brought the car in, so figured I would get it taken care of. "We have a four door tail light in stock, but not yours. We should have it in 2 or 3 days." Well, two weeks later, nothing.

Don't get me wrong. Still love the car. Hate the hour trips without my iPod (see, even my KIA came with an imput jack, and I spent 18 months putting music onto my iPod... I am a total music lover!) Thought the stereo would be an easy upgrade with a euro unit... ooops. Although I did find a Pioneer one, that will fit, with a Euro adapter made by Pioneer specifically for the Astra.. $900 well spent... I forgot about the damn OnStar that I am hooked on and the turn by turn directions that I have used 100 times from Orlando to Tampa to Miami. But ok, fine.

Feeling like I got better service at Kia, to tell the truth. Anyway, now that I have gotten a little venting out of the way, anyone else having a PING issue?

2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Ping? Dealer Service?

Quote:
Don't get me wrong. Still love the car. Hate the hour trips without my iPod (see, even my KIA came with an imput jack
Actually, you should be able to get an accessory jack wire installed without all that mess and keep the OEM radio. There is a plug-in wire that goes in where the radio antennae enters the radio, then you plug the antenna in that. Supposedly works great and should be under 70. installed at most auto audio shops.

As well, and not perfect, I am currently using the MP3 FM modulator that I posted earlier, not bad sound. Belkin and Scoche also make FM modulators that are pretty good quality.

Lastly, and I have said this over and over, NOT all Saturn shops are alike. Even if you have to drive an hour to get to a better shop, do it if they are better. It is worth the piece of mind as well as the health of your car.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
czechers
czechers is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I thought about those wired modulators. But the Pioneer adds navigation, bluetooth, IPod control, XM and Sirius built in, and a backup camera. This is a car that I plan on keeping for a long time... well, at least the six years of my loan, LoL. I took $11K negative equity from my Sportage onto this loan when I traded it... so I don't have a choice! I would like to have these things. I always said I wouldn't buy a car without them (well, the backup camera I couldn't care less about...), but alas, I liked so many other things about it! XM m akes this antenna booster for a plug and play that wraps around your FM antenna and plugs into the power cord... works great in my Astra for flawless sound without messing with the wiring... but still doesn't help the IPod problem, and I don't like having all these things cluttering things up... the big power adaptor, and the XM unit sitting in the change thing!

2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #4
JJ05Redline
JJ05Redline is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechers View Post
Feeling like I got better service at Kia, to tell the truth. Anyway, now that I have gotten a little venting out of the way, anyone else having a PING issue?
Yeah some dealerships are not very knowledgable, I deal with an incompetent one myself, service staff is pretty good, but the mechanics are just monkeys in disguise IMO.

I too experience knocking and pinging, and type/brand of gas does not make a difference...my car is a little hesitant lately and I am hoping it is not the same problem I dealt with over the summer (waited almost 2 months for a part). So fear not, you are not alone in experiencing some Saturn woes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JJ05Redline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JJ05Redline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JJ05Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I get spark knock too. Very noticeable with regular, less so with premium. I think the plug heat range is too high so I was going to knock it down a range or two to see if that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
captainzerocool
captainzerocool is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechers View Post

My little plastic panel in the overhead area behind the lights kept falling down. "Its been fixed". I am pretty sure that they glued or cable tied one of the clips. Now only falls down on the driver side.

Same here. I finally pulled it off and bent all the plastic tabs out.

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/captainzerocool/astra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captainzerocool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captainzerocool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #7
spokethedog
spokethedog is on a distinguished road

Did you ever figure out what that pinging noise is from? I have the exact same problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spokethedog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spokethedog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spokethedog is offline   Reply With Quote