SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2008, 07:01 PM   #1
justinchristie
justinchristie is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Dizzy HELP! Just replaced the valve body, now I have no Neutral/Drive

Hello,

I just replaced the valve body on my SL1, and I started it up, let it warm up for ten minutes, then I got in and put it in reverse (seemed a little stiff going from P to R). Worked fine, no reverse slam at all, shifted immediately.

But then I tried to go from R to N (neutral) and the shifter would budge a little, but would not go into N at all. I tried a little harder and it still wouldn't go. I didn't want to force the issue, so i stopped there.

I had to push it harder than normal to get it to go back from R to P (park). But it did go back into park.

So basically I have P and R, and that is it, since replacing the valve body. I made double sure that the manual valve was install properly. the VB came from Special Forces as well.

Also, I went through the entire process of looking at the input shaft nut - removed the cover, didn't bend the shafts, nut was tight, and I replaced everything. the input shaft nut was fine.

Any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justinchristie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justinchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1
Default Re: HELP! Just replaced the valve body, now I have no Neutral/Drive

I was just thinking this, do you think I need to change the "spring" between the old valve body and the new one?

From what it "feels" like, I think it is a shifting problem, not the valve body.

It shifted fine b4.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help justinchristie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

It sounds like something in the linkage between the valve body and the manual lever. I've heard this several times before. Double check the linkage and make sure it didn't fall out and make sure it's facing the correct way (the rod in the valve body that is). Did I send you a rod with the valve body or did you use yours?

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM   #4
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1

I used mine

I'll rip it apart again tomorrow, and see what is up underneath the cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1

Ok, i took it apart this morning, and everything was still intact

So i took the entire valve body out again and put it on the bench, then I took the old one and put it right beside it. Everything looked identical, but I think I found the problem.

The manual shaft (my old one that I swapped from the original valve body) WILL NOT slide past the park position inside the new valve body. So i thought maybe, by chance the shaft was bent (even though it is pretty thick). I'll try it back in the old valve body, and it work perfectly, it slid back and forth.

So i put it back in the new valve body, and again it wouldn't slide past the R position. So this explains why I couldn't get the shifter to move back into N, D, etc etc.

Very weird, it almost seems like there is a blockage in the hole, but there isn't because I double checked when I took it out again.

So, are the shafts different for valve body's? I have the shaft with the plastic tip at the end - and yes, I made sure it was lubricated with tans fluid before putting it in the VB.

Special Forces, I'm going to put the old valve body back in so I can drive the car, but can I just take apart the top of the new valve body with the new solenoids and dump it on the old one? Or can you send me a new shaft? let me know

--justin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinchristie View Post
Special Forces, I'm going to put the old valve body back in so I can drive the car, but can I just take apart the top of the new valve body with the new solenoids and dump it on the old one? Or can you send me a new shaft? let me know

--justin
Interesting. I haven't seen that before, usually all the rods work. You can't just take the valve body apart and swap pieces unfortunately because there are internal parts I have changed. I have several rods here I have no problem shipping to you. Just tell me the number that is on top of the valve body (it's in a circle and should have two numbers such as 96, 95, etc). Let me know which one it is and I'll send the corresponding rod to you.

Thanks.

Also another diagnostic you can do is putting the new valve body in with the rod and with the pan still off have someone shift through the gears to see what is happening. If it's binding somewhere or it's still simply the wrong rod.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
justinchristie

1999 SW1
1999 SL1

Yep, I had my wife shift the gears with the pan off and it was the shaft that was causing the problem.

I just put the old valve body back on and started her up. Worked just fine. So it was the shaft. Very weird, seems like the shaft has no problem going in initially, but it seems that the hole tapers off at the end, which causes it not to go any further.

I'll get you those numbers. thanks man.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!