SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Keviefriend
Keviefriend is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default CD Changer!

OK here is my deal....

I have an aftermarket CD changer that was in my car when I bought it.

It's hanging from one screw now, and needs to be remounted.
I've seen them in places where one would think they'd skip a lot (Under seats, in consoles, etc), so I got to thinking...
What if I superglued Velcro to it and then stuck it to the back of the seats so that all I had to do is pull the seat down to change the discs? That'd be MUCH easier access for me and my bad back...

Anyone have any thoughts? If I lived in the country, I'd stick it on the dash and be done, but I live in the city, so that won't do...

Any advice would be appreciated

Kev

98 SL2M red loaded+working sunroof 135K miles sold 2011
95 SL1M teal totalled November 08.
99 Yahama Razz scooter

Looking for another under $1k in or somewhat near Minneapolis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keviefriend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keviefriend is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
mac99sl2
Advanced Member
mac99sl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL2
Default Re: CD Changer!

That might work but I would be afraid that one big bump and it would come crashing down, damaging the unit. Another issue is that most aftermarket changers have a knob on the side to choose how its mounted so that the changer will work properly. My kenwood has three choices 0, 45, and 90 degrees. if you constantly change the angle in which it's mounted without changing the angle knob you might run into some issues with the way it plays. I slid mine under the passenger seat so I just reach under and feel for the eject button and bingo. Just my two cents.

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mac99sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mac99sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
Keviefriend

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac99sl2 View Post
That might work but I would be afraid that one big bump and it would come crashing down, damaging the unit. Another issue is that most aftermarket changers have a knob on the side to choose how its mounted so that the changer will work properly. My kenwood has three choices 0, 45, and 90 degrees. if you constantly change the angle in which it's mounted without changing the angle knob you might run into some issues with the way it plays. I slid mine under the passenger seat so I just reach under and feel for the eject button and bingo. Just my two cents.
Well I'm not quite smart enough to figure out how to wire it in such a way that it would work under the seat. Also, doesn't help in terms of bending. Do you have it facing forward or back?

I could bungee it as well or something like that...

99 Yahama Razz scooter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
mac99sl2
Advanced Member

1998 SL
1999 SL2

mine faces back. mine only has one wire (plug) attached to it. What kind is yours and is it an FM modulated (needing to tune to a certain station to use it) one or does it run off of an aftermarket deck? There is only a few inches there under the seat. My kenwood is slimline and only a 6 disc changer so it fits snugly under there. I don't know how often you have passengers in the back seat of your car but you could just face it up right behind the passenger seat using the mounting brackets that (hopefully) should be on it now and you wouldn't have to reach as far down. Most aftermarket changers have brackets that can be moved to a different place on the unit to mount it vertically or horizontally. Another thought is to mount it vertically right in front of the front seat so it's between your legs so you just reach between your legs to eject your magazine. This, of course, depends on how far back you keep your seat (my seat needs to be all the way back or I cant drive) and how big the changer is. If it's a kenwood I have some extra mounting brackets for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #5
Keviefriend

1998 SL2

I have a sentrek 10 disc, FM modulated. The wiring, IDK how it's wired now, so I don't know where to move the wiring to put it anywhere but the trunk.
It's huge, it wouldn't fit. That's why wanted to keep it attached to the back of the back seat...

Between my feet might get wet in the winter/spring. The trunk is the only part of my car that doesn't leak when it rains... I also have the seat all the way back, unless of course there is anyone of size in my back seat

99 Yahama Razz scooter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
mac99sl2
Advanced Member

1998 SL
1999 SL2

I don't know what to say. You could try the velcro/bungee idea but I would put a pillow under it for the first few days to see if it falls. If it is what I think it is it may only be designed to mount horizontally in which case it may not even eject the magazine in an upright position and definitely wont play that way.

I suggest you see how it's wired. You most likely still only have one cable connecting it and you could move it anywhere if it reaches your trunk now. See how the thing reacts to different angles and try it out. if you jack it up you can get a kenwood fm modulated one on egay for like 50 bucks. I have one but the controller wire is cut. Good luck and post up when you decide what your gonna do. I'd like to hear how it went.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #7
Keviefriend

1998 SL2

Well it played at a 90 degree angle. I just had to get it started horizontally, and then let it fall (it's only fallen on one side, so the port side is down and starboard is up).

We'll see.

The problem is that I don't know where the wires go, and as a security precaution I'd rather have it in the trunk than in the car anywhere else...

Kev

99 Yahama Razz scooter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!