SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Wheel bearing source

I think I need a wheel bearing.
From my recent clutch experience, I want OEM parts.

Anybody have any recommendations? Does Rock Auto have OEM parts? Or should I order from a Saturn on-line source?

Also, would a bottle jack and frame be adequate to press in the new one, that way I could do it at home. Or do you need a larger press.

Thanks!

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Wheel bearing source

Bottle jack definitely isn't gonna cut it. To save money you can remove the spindles yourself and take them somewhere to have the bearings pressed. Unless you have a shop press in your garage, don't attempt to do this yourself, you will destroy the bearing. The bearing doesn't necessarily need to be Saturn, a good quality BCA/National or Timken bearing is more than adequate. I used the Timken when I did the front bearings in my sister's '97 SL2 and I got the kit with the new hubs also. No problems yet over a year later and about 15K miles.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Thanks

Bummer though. I plan to pull out the whole strut so I don't disturb the alignment, a little harder to tote around town.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Pull the spindle as youll regret it later

Also there isnt much play in the stock struts regarding camber. Ive done all my cars except my '97 (after market struts) by eye with no issues.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Hmmmm
Saturn parts.net $97.34 each

Rock Auto
Timken $27.79
BCA $38.79

Quite a disparity!

So, would you go with Timken or BCA (or doesn't it matter)?

I understand ya might as well do both front bearings......

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I think BCA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:20 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Mark the location of the strut relative to the knuckle with a paint pen. This should get the camber close enough. Mark at top and bottom, to be sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 AM   #8
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Mark the location of the strut relative to the knuckle with a paint pen. This should get the camber close enough. Mark at top and bottom, to be sure.
Why get it close enough when you can get it dead on? He's doing it the correct way to ensure he won't change any alignment specs. Not to mention how much easier it is to undo the 3 strut mounting nuts as opposed to the strut to spindle bolts. I always take out the strut/spindle as an assembly, press the new bearing(s) in and reassemble as a unit. It's simply easier, and no chance of needing an alignment when you're done. Not really any more difficult to bring to a shop to have it pressed, just a little heavier is all. I used the Timken bearings myself, but wouldn't hesitate to use the BCA/National either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Pull the spindle as youll regret it later

Also there isnt much play in the stock struts regarding camber. Ive done all my cars except my '97 (after market struts) by eye with no issues.
Why would he regret it later? Because he doesn't have to shell out $70 to get his car aligned afterwards?

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Why get it close enough when you can get it dead on? He's doing it the correct way to ensure he won't change any alignment specs. Not to mention how much easier it is to undo the 3 strut mounting nuts as opposed to the strut to spindle bolts. I always take out the strut/spindle as an assembly, press the new bearing(s) in and reassemble as a unit. It's simply easier, and no chance of needing an alignment when you're done.
It wouldn't be dead-on if s/he (or any PO) has ever had the caster set by expanding the three top-mount stud holes. S/he'd be in the very same boat wrt. the alignment (either mark and get it "close enough" or re-align).

But yeah, we're talking 30-ish ft-lb vs. 100+ for the fasteners. We all have our strengths and weaknesses; some folks are stronger at wrestling high-torque fasteners, and others stronger at lifting/carrying more weight. Six of one.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

I had the car aligned once so far. From taking off the left strut recently, the mounting holes are not oversized.

Plus, I used a silver magic marker and traced around the washers, on the strut tower, before I removed the strut. A small error there doesn't matter much. A small error on the "knuckle" bolts matters more, due to the geometry of the suspension.
As my HS algebra teacher would say, I would rather "let sleeping dogs lie" (and not touch the two large bolts and nuts).

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
92SL1Mann
Advanced Member
92SL1Mann is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1
1996 SC2

ha the Timken ball bearings themselves are made down the road in St Thomas! When I did mine i didnt want to wait for rock auto so i went to the parts store. they were in between OEM and rock cost wise. think they were TRS or something....12,000km ish on them so far still good

1992 SL1, 376,000Kms
1996 SC2, 243,000Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SL1Mann's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SL1Mann reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SL1Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
I think I need a wheel bearing.
From my recent clutch experience, I want OEM parts.

Anybody have any recommendations? Does Rock Auto have OEM parts? Or should I order from a Saturn on-line source?
I just go to the local auto parts store and get what they have. In fact I'm dropping off some knuckle/hub assemblies tomorrow after work for some new bearings. $20 each for the bearings and $40 for the set to press them.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote