SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
TrojanMan
TrojanMan is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 Sl1 P0507

Same ole story, check engine light came on, had autozone hook it up to check errors and got cyl #1 misfire and high idle P0507. I understand that this has something to do with a vacuum condition. Most of what i have read suggest a new gasket on the intake manifold.

I would appreciate the following: Common causes of this error and what steps i can take to determine exactly what is causing it.

Second, will driving the vehicle in this condition cause any permanent damage or cause the car to fail. I'm getting ready to take a long trip with this car and dont want to be stuck on the side of the road.

Thanks!
TM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TrojanMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TrojanMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TrojanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2008, 11:13 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: 2002 Sl1 P0507

Welcome to the Board.

You have read up on it so you know the check is to spray intake cleaner or brake clean at the intake gasket area, engine running. The idle will change. This will confirm what the codes have told. 99% chance that it is the gasket folded in.

Best to replace the gasket before you go on the trip but it should not do serious damage if left. I have seen cars barely run because of this but it is never something that should be left. You have a vacuum leak at the intake. This allows unfiltered air into the engine and sets undesirable PCM adaptives due to the leak.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 2002 Sl1 P0507

If it's the initial cause of the gasket failure you're looking for, it's on the car's title. The fact that it's a 2002 SL1, a third-generation SOHC. During that time, there was a robot at the factory in Spring Hill with a serious drinking problem, that installed several of the gaskets with a crease in them. Somehow, they still managed to hold, but it was only a matter of time until they would fail (right about now, evidently).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote