SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Breaking news - S Series saves life!

Well, maybe it's not "breaking" news, but a good story nonetheless.

I was at one of my clinic stops, and the nurse had a moderate sized package for me to pick up. I said to her that I can't take things that wont fit in my car. She asked what I drove, so I told her a Saturn. She then said, "I had a Saturn once. I totaled it." I asked how, and she told me about driving too close and bad things involving brake lights happened. She said that she was lucky to be alive. I asked her if she knew why she was alive. She said, and I quote, "Because I was driving a Saturn." I smiled and said, that's exactly right. Don't let anyone tell you they aren't safe. I think it's because of their size.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgordon1100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: Breaking news - S Series saves life!

Sweet!

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #3
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Wasn't one of the the first real tests of air bags a head to head front end crash of pair of Saturn back in the early 1990s.

Local police show up, looked inside the wrecked cars for bodies, and none thee. They couldn't believe that the two drivers were sitting at the edge of the nearby woods in the shade chatting away with not much more than airbag rash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
Xkontour98
Xkontour98 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

I worked at a Saturn dealer in the late 90's and you would not believe the stories I have heard from S-series owners. One lady in an older SC hit a train head on, both her and her daughter walked away. Another hit a Ford Probe head on at 55mph and walked away. These cars are amazing, at least head on they are!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Xkontour98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Xkontour98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Xkontour98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xkontour98 View Post
I worked at a Saturn dealer in the late 90's and you would not believe the stories I have heard from S-series owners. One lady in an older SC hit a train head on, both her and her daughter walked away. Another hit a Ford Probe head on at 55mph and walked away. These cars are amazing, at least head on they are!
I knew that when I got into my rear end collision. My history goes like this. First car, I knew there was a one and a two and the two was faster. Diff Pin popped, and it was time for a new car. Second one, started doing maintenance and learning about the car. Not a problem with it, except the coil packs on a rainy night. Got into the accident and felt like the car is pretty safe. Now my third car, it popped the pin, but I got the car fixed for a minimal amount of money. With the new tires installed, I feel like this is the safest car I've ever driven in. I should have had those new tires before the winter, my error in judgment. The car handles and grips the road like a champ. I got the tires used, and now I know what I like. I've replaced tires with wal-mart's cheapest douglas tires before, but I've never had grip, like with these Turnazas. They are 205's, I'm sure that makes a difference. I'd never have tried them if I hadn't gotten them for a good price. Ok, I'm going off on a tangent here. The car is safe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mgordon1100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

don p...actually it was two late 80s chryslers. i also remember a case in the very early 80s of a head on in colorado car vs semi. cop was ready for the body but the 74 olds had airbags which were still pretty unusual at the time and the older lady walked out of the car on her own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #7
orangekid13
orangekid13 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

been there done that
stopped behind a tacoma, avalance 40+mph never applied brakes
http://www.orangekid13.com/wreck
September 14 2005

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to orangekid13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help orangekid13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
orangekid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
banditkaine
banditkaine is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid13 View Post
been there done that
September 14 2005
your car is lower then mine =0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banditkaine's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banditkaine reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banditkaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #9
lexinva
lexinva is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
but the 74 olds had airbags which were still pretty unusual at the time
Oh come on... you mean the driver was an old bag? We barely had seatbelts back then!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lexinva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lexinva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lexinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
myolbug
Advanced Member
myolbug will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid13 View Post
been there done that
September 14 2005
I in no am trying to belittle your accident, but I think this pic:
http://www.orangekid13.com/wreck/ima...C03068_JPG.jpg
looks like a really cool way to design a car. Not crunched up, but with the blunt rear end and the tires positioned there in relation to the body. The back seat area would have to be open space, maybe a hatch back?

If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to myolbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help myolbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
myolbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
zTagged
zTagged is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myolbug View Post
looks like a really cool way to design a car. Not crunched up, but with the blunt rear end and the tires positioned there in relation to the body. The back seat area would have to be open space, maybe a hatch back?
Therein lies a problem: Crumple zone. Without the trunk area, what's going to get smashed? The passengers in the back.
It's a good idea, but that crumple zone space in the trunk is a necessity.

Edit: Nevermind, I got what you're saying. No backseat! But then functionality is out the window.. Oeh I'm tired.

Last edited by zTagged; 04-11-2008 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: HURR DURR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zTagged's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zTagged reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zTagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zTagged View Post
Therein lies a problem: Crumple zone. Without the trunk area, what's going to get smashed? The passengers in the back.
I think the design would just eliminate a back seat all together. It would be like a two seater roadster, but with storage space.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:02 AM   #13
myolbug
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
I think the design would just eliminate a back seat all together. It would be like a two seater roadster, but with storage space.

Yeah, what he said!!

If it is OK to disarm law abiding citizens to reduce crime, then it stands to reason to disarm the military to prevent war!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help myolbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
05vueblue
05vueblue is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

I worked for a dealer that was next door to a Saturn dealer. They had a car in the back of the lot that was totaled. They actully bought the car from the insurance company to show buyers this car. I talked to the owner of the car that wrecked it, he was drunk and at a high rate of speed rolled it. This car was said to have rolled 16 times the last few rols were end to end! It was amazing he lived only had a broken leg. I used to tell that story all the time. This was about 96 97 time frame. Wish I had pictures....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 05vueblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 05vueblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
05vueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by myolbug View Post
I think they call them Honda civics....

Kevin

www.kevinomura.com/saturns our Saturn family.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #16
myolbug
Advanced Member

1998 SC2

No, nothing along those lines. Actually thinking of something closer to a BMW Z3 Coupe. It could be made to look really cool, and not be an average everyday generic invisible car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #17
kingvandal
kingvandal is on a distinguished road

Man, that's a saturn for ya. My mom was sitting at a left turn and got hit at like 35 or 40 by a 95 Chevy full size truck. My kids where in the back and it knocked my sons glasses off his head and into the front seat floor. (I Can laugh about that now) All where good to go. Walked away with no injuries.

Also attached is a picture.. All I want to know is what is that thing being held up in someones hand? There is a big red arrow pointing to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02250019_jpg.jpg (81.0 KB, 32 views)

R.I.P My Loveing 1996 Ford Taurus... Death to Uninsured Motorists!!!!!

1997 Saturn SL-1 SOHC. Stock everything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kingvandal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kingvandal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kingvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

just to defend myself from a couple of posts up yes the 1974 olds toronado had dual multi stage airbags as an option. i always thought it was a car ahead of its time...front wheel drive, high mounted brake lights and airbags.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 PM   #19
redcannon
redcannon is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Jesus all this talk about airbags, it's weird for me to think that there was a time when they weren't in every vehicle.

goodness, my youth is showing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redcannon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redcannon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
mgordon1100

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcannon View Post
Jesus all this talk about airbags, it's weird for me to think that there was a time when they weren't in every vehicle.

goodness, my youth is showing.

You think that's something. There was a time when there weren't seat belts in cars. When I grew up, there weren't even bucket seats. Front bench seats with lap belts only.

evilness, my age is showing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!