SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
mangler66
mangler66 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Drum Brake adjustment help

Hello,

The parking brake on my 2007 manual 4 cyl view has become excessively high, so much that I now have to yank on it almost vertical to get"some" rear braking on a slope (on a steep incline, it would not hold the car...)

I have read everything from the rear brakes adjust automatically on quick stops in reverse, to the rear brakes adjust on quick stops going forward, to they don't self-adjust, you have to use the star adjusters behind the rubber plug...

Since some people seem to be claiming contradictory methods for different years, and are quoting from their manual, I have to assume model year brakes are different in 04, 06 and 07. I am just wondering which model I have. I have tried the quick reverse stop method, and it does not seem to work at all. I do plenty of quick forward stops, so I assume this does not work for me either... My cousin remarked last time he installed my eibachs that my rear drums seemed out of adjustment, and that they should rub ever so slightly on free wheel rotations when they are tight enough. I am pretty sure the star ajustment method will work, but i would like to self-adjust, if possible, as I don't have the car on a lift that often...

Thx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mangler66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mangler66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mangler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
emsvitil
Advanced Member
emsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura aboutemsvitil has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Drum Brake adjustment help

The parking brake cable usually has an adjustment somewhere on it (not the start adjusters)

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emsvitil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emsvitil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emsvitil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The VUE brakes will auto adjust when the car is braked hard enough. That said not all people will brake the right way to adjust the brakes. Sounds like this is what has happed to you.

To manually adjust the brake you will need to remove the drums and turn the adjusting wheel so that the shoes are just rubbing on the drums. Then reinstall the wheels. Pump the brake pedal a couple of times and see how the park brake works. If the lever is still to high then adjust the cable.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

A 2007 VUE? Sounds like some warranty work if I ever heard it.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
mangler66
mangler66 is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Hmm, auto-adjust hey...

My girlfriend suspected I drove like a grandma, I guess it's confirmed...

I still can't believe it though. You expect those adjusters to go with mileage, but I really expected them to work the first year...

So I guess the 2007 is a hard brake forward adjustment vs other years which are hard brake reverse? Looks like I will be spinning some star wheels when I put on the 20s this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mangler66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mangler66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mangler66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
lsuduke
lsuduke is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Mangler, on every vehicle I have ever owned the self- adjusters never worked well, but I know that the way to attempt to adjust them is to but the vehicle in reverse and then apply the brakes, hard braking isn't the answer , hard braking just chews up pads and warps rotors. From the sounds of it you will need to adjust the star wheel when you swap rims, want to spread the shoes as far apart as you can get them and still fit the drum on , if drum wont go back go the other way until it slips on, then if you notice excessive play in the pedal or the lever try slowly backing around a parking lot and applying the brakes a few times that is how it is supposed to be adjust drum brakes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lsuduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The VUE drum brakes are supposed to adjust going forward or reverse. They need a hard stop to activate the adjuster.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
lsuduke
lsuduke is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

ssicarman, if the brakes adjust going forward what stops them form overadjusting as you are going down the road and locking up your wheels as you drive? Just a question, if you know the answer I appreciate the response always willing to learn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lsuduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
gmurdock
gmurdock is on a distinguished road

mangler66
If your is the same as my 06? there is a adjustment slot ( there is a rubber plug covering it). Make sure you put the plug back before you reattach the tire. The best way is to remove the rear tires. It is located near the top of the drum. That is why it is easier to get to with the wheel off. I adjust mine so the wheel is hard to turn with the tire off. Then when I put the tire back on it will spin a little. This should also help with the emergency brake & not as much wear on the front.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmurdock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmurdock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote