SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Rocker1911
Rocker1911 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Running Amplifier wire?

I will soon be adding a pair of subs and amp to my 1998 SL2. I will be using 8ga wire for the amp power wire. How hard is it to get the wire through the firewall? Any body have any advice or pictures of their cable/wire routing? How did you run yours? Under the carpet? Over carpet but under floor mats?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rocker1911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rocker1911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rocker1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
vip3r87
vip3r87 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default Re: Running Amplifier wire?

Hey there, try this :
http://www.caraudiohelp.com/how_to_i..._a_car_amp.htm

Car audio is my personal fav. when it comes to cars and modding. Make sure you have a very good grounding point for the amp, and never skimp out on fuses. Place the first fuse within 6-10 inches of the battery.

Hope this helps, if any problems post back!

In my SC2, I just made the factory hole where the wires go through (from engine bay fusebox to dashboard) larger, and put my 4awg wire through it, then caulked it up!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vip3r87's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vip3r87 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vip3r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker1911 View Post
I will soon be adding a pair of subs and amp to my 1998 SL2. I will be using 8ga wire for the amp power wire. How hard is it to get the wire through the firewall? Any body have any advice or pictures of their cable/wire routing? How did you run yours? Under the carpet? Over carpet but under floor mats?

Is your car an automatic or manual?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
Rocker1911

1998 SL2

auto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Rocker1911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
auto.

Luck for you. Looking at the firewall, to the right of the brake booster and down a little bit there will be a square grommet that plugs a round hole in the firewall. On manual transmission equipped cars this is where the clutch slave cylinder would mount. Pop off that grommet, drill a hole slightly smaller than your power wire, fish a few feet of the wire through then reinstall the grommet.

See the attached picture. Where the clutch hydrolic assembly would go through the firewall is what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: gif slavecylinder.gif (16.5 KB, 133 views)

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Rocker1911

1998 SL2

thanks low saturn! ill have to check that out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

That's where I ran the power wire in my '92 SC. Very tidy and very easy. I ran the wiring under the carpeting becuase exposed wiring looks completely half *****ed. I went through the firewall, under the carpeting and along the floor on the driver's side. You can do it without taking the seat out, but with only 4 bolts holding it in, it's just as easy to take it out. There are some brackets and things on the floor with pass through holes that make routing the wiring easy and neat looking.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
ilovelamp
ilovelamp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Luck for you. Looking at the firewall, to the right of the brake booster and down a little bit there will be a square grommet that plugs a round hole in the firewall. On manual transmission equipped cars this is where the clutch slave cylinder would mount. Pop off that grommet, drill a hole slightly smaller than your power wire, fish a few feet of the wire through then reinstall the grommet.

See the attached picture. Where the clutch hydrolic assembly would go through the firewall is what I'm talking about.
Bingo, do yourself a favor and run it UNDER the carpet as well. Route it down the side,pop up the plastic panels and shove the power wire right down under the carpet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilovelamp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilovelamp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilovelamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
i used the giant firewall hole near the master cylinder that most of your electric goes thru. i just cut a small slit in the boot and ran my wire thru it. after that, it's best to remove the door trim and put the wire under the carpet until you get to the rear seat, run it up under the little plastic padded piece near the door and into the trunk.

be careful; the door trim is held in by pressure clips and are easy to break, especially on an older car.

any route that doesn't go under the carpet is probably a bad idea. it will just look cheap and ghetto...

s3aturnr

edit: i can't believe i just gave audio advice. it's been about 10 years since i've had a decent system in my car...

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 04:39 AM   #10
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

I ran mine straight under the car along the "frame rail" and into the trunk via a grommet hole....

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeranger View Post
I ran mine straight under the car along the "frame rail" and into the trunk via a grommet hole....
I didt that on my 1991 SL2. It ended badly.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:04 AM   #12
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

mine goes under the back seats, under the carpet, under the center console, and up to the head unit. youd never know i had a sub in my car...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsun View Post
mine goes under the back seats, under the carpet, under the center console, and up to the head unit. youd never know i had a sub in my car...

Your power wire? I could see the remote and RCA cables doing that.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 AM   #14
xtremeranger
Advanced Member
xtremeranger is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I didt that on my 1991 SL2. It ended badly.
lol...how badly are we speaking?

2005 VUE Red Line AWD - Tint, Audio, K&N
2006 ION Red Line Competition Package - Stage 2, strut bar, Hurst, Antenna delete, tinted corners, painted headlights

1998 SL2 - SOLD 87K-113K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xtremeranger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xtremeranger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xtremeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeranger View Post
lol...how badly are we speaking?
It was run from the battery, down along the frame rail, over the rear crossmember and into the bottom of the trunk. Somehow something caught it and ripped out of the trunk. Weird that got ripped out and not anything else running under the car.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #16
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

everything that goes from the amp to the battery...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #17
95SC1owner
95SC1owner is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

I just ran a 4 today and well I ran it right where the main wires come tho the firwall I cut the rubber just enought for the wire with black wire loom would fit into the hole above the main wires. it worked out great i was bannging my head thinking where the heck to go with it and a buddy came over and suggested i do it that way. came in the car ran down to the left kick panel and mounted a disubution block so if i add things later it be there, then came right back off it to the back with my power wire, now just got to run the remote and rca cables

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95SC1owner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95SC1owner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95SC1owner is offline   Reply With Quote