SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 12:58 AM   #1
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Thumbs Down My car is melting!! Well, not really!

I have a 2001 SC2 and have ruined a number of my clothes because of it. When it is hot outside a black sticky gooey grease becomes liquid on the inside of both doors. There is a little black strip on the inside of the door frame that is held on with this grease/ glue (or hwatever it is). The grease is right where people touch the doors and gets on your hands and then on whatever else you touch. The grease won't come out of some of my lighter clothes and is all over my car's interior. Has anyone had this problem? If so what can be done? Also, when I was at the car wash the other day my front Saturn emblem came right off my car with the high pressure wand, it looks like my car doesn't have a nose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2002, 01:34 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Under 36k miles? Have it fixed under warranty. (bumper to bumper) Over or want to do it by yourself? Leave the car in the sun or warm the area with a hair dryer and then pull up on the weatherstrip and wipe off the excess glue with a towel. There are available solvents which will dissolve the adhesive you are referring to but they can damage paint and or plastic if not used carefully. The warm adheasive can be wipe off with a coarse towel and a little aggressive rubbing...don't take it all off..just the excess you need some to secure the rubber weatherstrip.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2002, 12:44 PM   #3
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

I see what you mean, the inner black strip on the door frame gives me black underside elbow sometimes too .....but this area tend to collect dirt/dust and with the nature of this black soft rubber I doubt if there's an ultimate way to clean this strip up completely.

Since it's soft rubber, don't use any solvent to clean it. Instead, try to use water to wipe off the dirt first and apply some rubber dressing like Armor all to keep it from cracking over prolonged sun baking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2002, 02:36 AM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Are you talking about the plastic B pillar trim at the rear of the door? I had to clean up a 2002 SC2 last week for this crap... just use some lighter fluid on a rag to wipe it off, but don't get it on the exterior panel.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:29 PM   #5
slv01sc2
slv01sc2 is on a distinguished road

Yes I'm talking about the B pillar. I think it's the B pillar, it's the area right behind the shiny black paint on the outside of the door. The black stuff is like hot tar, it gets all over everything. Does anyone know if Saturns are known for the emblems to fall off. My nose emblem fell off and my right passenger side fender emblem is also loose. Thanks to everyone for their help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slv01sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slv01sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2002, 01:33 PM   #6
dulce75
dulce75 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL

my emblem fell off about 2 weeks after I took delivery of my car (the passenger-side one) while, yes, at a car wash.

Of course, I just went in and got it replaced - they said it looked like the screw was loose or something.

Haven't lost any since, and have been to the car wash several times.

No big deal, but a minor annoyance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulce75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulce75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2002, 09:48 AM   #7
MysecondSaturn
MysecondSaturn is on a distinguished road

Default Black gouwie stuff

Just got out of the dealer for exactly the problem you are talking about....black stuff on the door then everywhere on my hands and clothes, a real pain. They cleaned it off and took off the excess "glue" ....it was all on guarantee. Much better now.
I have a question for you now. I have an SC2 2002, and ever since I got it, Jan.2002, I here a soundwind coming from the driver's window, between the main door and the third door. I don't feel the air I just here it ( starts at 60 kph ). The dealer tried changing the weather strip all around the door, but didn't change a thing.
Do you have that problem too?
Thanks,
Angie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MysecondSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MysecondSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2002, 02:47 PM   #8
dulce75
dulce75 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
1998 SL

I know I don't have either the gooey problem or the sound problem. Of course S-series Saturns aren't quiet cars (don't know about the L and the Vue, never been in them) and I generally fail to notice these things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dulce75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dulce75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread