SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
snostorm
snostorm is on a distinguished road

Default Car stalled and dies when pressing on gas pedal

Hey guys, I have a question. The other day I was driving on the interstate when all of a sudden my car starts to start stalling. When I left off the gas it would run normally, but every time I got back on the gas it would start stalling. Eventually it quit running completely. The car will start fine, but after a few seconds of high idle, the idle drops and eventually stops running. Still, the same thing happens when it does run, as soon as i step on the gas it dies instantly. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I thought water in the gas as I had just gotten gas soon before the incident. I put heet in the tank and there has been no change. Any ideas would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snostorm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snostorm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Car stalled and dies when pressing on gas pedal

Year and model?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

I want to say something fuel system related. however check your spark plugs and make sure they are nice and pretty. you could have a clogged fuel filter. however you did not post your Vitals! so i cant tell you how much it would cost to get a new one.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #4
oseberg
oseberg is on a distinguished road

This is exactly what happened when my fuel filter was filled with junk on my 1980 Corolla.

Gassing it would stir up the junk getting it stuck to the fuel filter until the engine would die. Stopping the engine would let the junk fall down unclogging the filter. Restart the engine and try to drive the car again, and the process repeats.

So I'm going to agree with rc1488 here and go with the fuel filter.

Can you get a pressure gauge to connect to the scrader valve and watch the fuel pressure fluctuate while you gas it from the engine compartment? I mean, do you still experience this problem when you're in neutral not driving the car?

I'm guessing that what you'll see is that the fuel pressure is fine until you gas it. Then you'll see the fuel pressure suddenly drop when it should remain at full pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oseberg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oseberg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oseberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Classic symptom of a severe exhaust restriction, typically a clogged catalytic converter. Put on a work glove, start the engine and idle it, and try to put your gloved hand over the tailpipe. There should be enough exhaust pressure to blow your hand off the pipe. If you're able to overcome the exhaust pressure, it's probably restricted.

Next test is the "tracheotomy" test - remove the front oxygen sensor from the exhaust manifold. This allows the exhaust to breathe out through the little bung hole. It'll be louder than King Crimson playing at a Ramones memorial, but start it up and drive it a SHORT while, as long as you can stand it, but try at least to re-create the circumstances in which you found the power suffering. If this test helps, that points the finger at a clogged cat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
mac99sl2
Advanced Member
mac99sl2 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1999 SL2

I heard that the 3rd gens have can have problems with the clogged cat. I hope for your sake its not ($$$) but check butt pipe and let us know.

Do or do not, there is no try. -Yoda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mac99sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mac99sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mac99sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
snostorm

Sorry I forgot about the details...duh on my part. I have a 99 SL2 with 70K miles on it. I will check on the above mentioned this weekend and I'll see what happens. Thanks guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help snostorm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
snostorm

An update, I removed the O2 sensor over the weekend, it is still doing the same thing, it will initially start, rpm's generally jump to around 2000, then it will die. Should my next step be to replace the filter since that should be the easiest and cheapest?

Is it possible it is electrical, being the computer or some other relay or some other component causing the issue. This problem is rather annoying since it is hard to pinpoint. Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #9
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

On my Saturn it has never happen, but on my Datsun 280 it was a regular happening. BAD AIR MASS METER! The car starts and idles fine. As soon as you try to give it any gas, it just dies. There is a variable resister attached to the air flap door on the mass meter. When you open the throttle body, the air being sucked in is metered by the flapper door. On a bad air mass meter, the door is telling the PCM that there is no gain in air intake while your dumping fuel into the cylinders. It will idle fine because there is a by-pass port on the door for idling and doesn't use the variable resister in the circuit for idling. A easy way to check it is: start the car, let it idle. Take the intake hose off the meter and play with the flapper door. If you can open and close the flapper door while the car is idling and nothing is happing to your fuel mix the meter is bad. If it's good and you force the door open, the car will stall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #10
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

do the fuel filter first and then report back. one thing out of the equation(check off)

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #11
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

I need to correct myself: With a bad air mass meter, when you open the TB you getting tons of air but the PCM thinks you idling. The end result is lots of air with no fuel. The bottom line is, play with the flapper door to see if it has any effect on the fuel mix while idling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 11:35 PM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestar99 View Post
On my Saturn it has never happen, but on my Datsun 280 it was a regular happening. BAD AIR MASS METER!
The S-Series doesn't have one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestar99 View Post
I need to correct myself: With a bad air mass meter, when you open the TB you getting tons of air but the PCM thinks you idling. The end result is lots of air with no fuel. The bottom line is, play with the flapper door to see if it has any effect on the fuel mix while idling.
I had a 280-Z and the correct name is 'air flow meter', containing a flapper door that rotates a pot and closes a micro switch for the fuel pump. First generation EFI system but no similarity to the throttle body or the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Maf sensors are completely different as they don't have a spring loaded flapper valve and a potetiometer. The maf sensor uses a wheatstone bridge circuit with the main part made up of a heating element that glows a dull red in the middle of the tube-like housing. As air flows through to cool off the element, the electronics tries to maintain the current/voltage keeping the element at a pre-determined level. This change in voltage is compared to the static voltage when no air flows and is termed a differential voltage that the ECM uses to find the fuel map for the right air/fuel ratio. I believe the problem you had with the engine dying is caused by the fuel pump switch that needed just a little 'tweak' to keep the switch closed as soon as the throttle was opened. Guess how I know?

My apologies to the OP as the post from stevestar99 needed correction so there will be less confusion.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 01-11-2008 at 12:05 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #14
madpogue

1996 SW2

The S-Series doesn't have a MAF sensor either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 AM   #15
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

Have you checked to see if the IAC, Idle Air Control, is working? I had a very similar problem on my 305 throttle body. The IAC was so gummed up it would hardly move. Its worth a shot.

15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:36 AM   #16
yogi1200
yogi1200 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC1
2004 ION-3 Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Car stalled and dies when pressing on gas pedal

Any SES codes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yogi1200's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yogi1200 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yogi1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
...Should my next step be to replace the filter since that should be the easiest and cheapest?
No. The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to spend about $15 on a fuel pressure gauge. This will allow you to find out if the problem is in the fuel system, which it probably is. If it does show up as a fuel delivery problem then you are faced with a filter, regulator, or a pump. If fuel pressure shows fine, then you are likely looking at an ignition module or sensor (map) problem. There are diagnostic techniques for these as well as all of your components.

You might get lucky by replacing the fuel filter, but what if that doesn't fix it? Where do you go from there? Just continue to throw parts at it until you get to the right part? That's can be a very expensive diagnostic method if you are not lucky.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Just continue to throw parts at it until you get to the right part? That's can be a very expensive diagnostic method if you are not lucky.
Sounds just like what a lot of garage/dealership mechanics do nowdays. Now there are some good ones out there, just getting less and less. The consumer ends up being the unlucky one.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 AM   #19
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek View Post
Sounds just like what a lot of garage/dealership mechanics do nowdays. ..
I'll admit that such a practice does occur even with professional technicians. But the consumer should not pay for service not delivered. If you take your car in for a specific problem, you are paying for expertise to fix the problem. If the problem is not fixed, you don't pay. It's not your fault that the technician isn't qualified or is too lazy to proficiently practice his craft. You pay for a diagnosis and repair. If the diagnosis is bad, then something that didn't need fixing got fixed and you still have a problem. I don't know why people accept this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
I'll admit that such a practice does occur even with professional technicians. But the consumer should not pay for service not delivered. If you take your car in for a specific problem, you are paying for expertise to fix the problem. If the problem is not fixed, you don't pay. It's not your fault that the technician isn't qualified or is too lazy to proficiently practice his craft. You pay for a diagnosis and repair. If the diagnosis is bad, then something that didn't need fixing got fixed and you still have a problem. I don't know why people accept this.
Personally, I think it's a fine line the pros have to walk and I can argue it either way. When the vast majority of the time a particular problem is one thing, if you spend the time it takes to verify that's what it is this time, then you have to charge more to fix it because of the extra time to everybody. If you go ahead and do the repair and you're wrong, you only charge the one guy that actually has a different problem. You also have the situation where the cost of doing the dianostic is equivalent to replacing the part.

When it's DIY, the cost of time is a lot less of a factor. So, there it always makes sense to do as much diagnosis as possible.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote