SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #1
DMVue
DMVue is on a distinguished road

Default 3.5 l coolant temp sensor

Anyone know how to check it to see if its working properly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DMVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DMVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DMVue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 3.5 l coolant temp sensor

Yes, if you know where its located and can use a multimeter then copy/print the data table from post #6 ; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...coolant+sensor. If the engine starts up, runs a slight high idle during warm-up and gradually returns the rpm's back to a normal idle within 10-15 minutes of driving then the coolant sensor is operating properly. You can always replace it if its inexpensive.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVue View Post
Anyone know how to check it to see if its working properly?
What makes you think it's not working properly?

Most of them hover around 3/8's and show little movement. There is variations in temperature that I monitor with my ScanGuageII, that don't show on the temp guage.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:17 PM   #4
DMVue
DMVue is on a distinguished road

Well for one, the gas mileage sucks big time 15.5 -16 50/50 city hwy driving and for two, the temp gauge reads at 1/4 mark when the engine is cold. I know some will say that I need to check the gauge but the sensor is easier to trouble shoot. I have had 2 SES lights come on for a split second but I guess it was not enough for Autozone to pull on their code reader. I am going Tomarrow to have a shop check it with a Tech II. Its probably just all in my head that my mpg is bad. Its been about 20-35 degrees F here in MI. I have been running my vents one notch off the floor and I have been babying the gas. The VUE has 90k miles on it with fresh trans fluid, original plugs and original O2 sensors. The Oil change that I have was accidentally done with 5w30, but not by me(don't know how someone could screw that up seeing as it says 5w20 RIGHT ON THE CAP . wheel allignment is perfect and tires are filled to 32 psi with nitrogen. Anyone see why I should not be getting 20+ mpg? Am I overlooking anything? I do know my way around a car pretty well so I am open to checking anything myself. sorry for the long post.

Dan in MI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DMVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DMVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DMVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 AM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Tire pressure should be 35 PSI.
Won't make a big difference on the MPG but every little bit helps.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
Vue&SL1
Vue&SL1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well for one, the gas mileage sucks big time 15.5 -16 50/50 city hwy driving and for two, the temp gauge reads at 1/4 mark when the engine is cold. I know some will say that I need to check the gauge but the sensor is easier to trouble shoot. I have had 2 SES lights come on for a split second but I guess it was not enough for Autozone to pull on their code reader. I am going Tomarrow to have a shop check it with a Tech II. Its probably just all in my head that my mpg is bad. Its been about 20-35 degrees F here in MI. I have been running my vents one notch off the floor and I have been babying the gas. The VUE has 90k miles on it with fresh trans fluid, original plugs and original O2 sensors. The Oil change that I have was accidentally done with 5w30, but not by me(don't know how someone could screw that up seeing as it says 5w20 RIGHT ON THE CAP . wheel allignment is perfect and tires are filled to 32 psi with nitrogen. Anyone see why I should not be getting 20+ mpg? Am I overlooking anything? I do know my way around a car pretty well so I am open to checking anything myself. sorry for the long post.

Dan in MI
15.5-16 mpg seems low. Where I live we have been a deep freeze for a couple of weeks now (-10F overnight and a highs consistently around +15F during the day) and I just filled up today and got 20.5 with 100% city driving. On my last tank I got 22.3 mpg with mostly city driving. Of course, the only way I can get even the 20.5 is to baby the throttle and keep it under 2,000 rpms always. When I first got the VUE 3.5 I thought it was a lot of fun to keep my foot in it (which it was) and I got numbers similar to yours.

2000 SL
2006 VUE 3.5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue&SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue&SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue&SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Dan in MI
Your problem is temperature. Any vehicle will drop when the temps go down. I get around 25MPG in warm weather, but drop to about 20 in the cold. I'm also convinced that as gas prices go up, my mileage is going down. The quality of what you're getting varies a lot - without your driving style changing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote