SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
amyseverson
amyseverson is on a distinguished road

Default Poor Fuel Mileage

I purchased my 2007 Aura 3.5 XE brand new in November 2006. I have around 5,600 miles on it and am disappointed with the mileage I'm getting. I use 89 octane fuel and have been experiencing 15-17 mpg during early winter driving conditions. I don't know if this matters or not, but I only travel around 3-6 miles to and from work per day. The dealership has told me that there is a "break in" period, but not really giving me an approximate odometer reading. I've read on several posts that the range could be from 3,000 to 10,000 miles. I have been resetting the trip meter and the mileage calculator on the last few fill-ups. Should I be leaving the settings for a few fill-ups or manually calculate the mileage? This car was very exciting for me in the beginning months, but now seems to be a disappointment. It's beginning to irritate me that my husband's 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Diesel with a 12,000 lb. winch and a lift with bigger tires is getting better mileage than I am!!!!! P.S. I do LOVE the seat heaters though!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amyseverson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amyseverson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amyseverson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
ronjohn
ronjohn is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Poor Fuel Mileage

popular topic on this board. I'm very disappointed in the gas mileage of the XE - I have 15,000 miles w/ 18 MPG - granted mostly driving around town (30-50 MPH) and w/ the AC on, (I live in FL).

This is my first V6... figures gas prices hit an all time high - if the Aura was available w/ a V4 I would have bought that, but it sure is nice having the extra power...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronjohn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronjohn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

cold is worse for mileage plus 3 to 6 miles to work the car never hardly warms up. i dont think that is bad mileage considering the conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
amyseverson

I should add that I do typically put on around 50 - 75 miles per week (includes the round-trip to work).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amyseverson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-12-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

With those short trips and winter temperatures,your engine is barely getting up to normal operating temperature before you shut it down. you are lucky to be getting the mpg that you are !!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
humfrz
humfrz is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyseverson View Post
.......... and am disappointed with the mileage I'm getting.....
Hi Amy........

I suggest that on some nice day, you fill up your car's gas tank and take a long drive (200-300 miles), then re-fill the tank and hand calculate your fuel mileage. Hopefully it would be in the high 20ís, which would indicate your engine is running fine.

humfrz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to humfrz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help humfrz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:37 AM   #7
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

It seems true that there is a brake in period but not any specific miles. Better to get some long high speed miles on it. I was getting 17 and 24 till I took my first road trip of 1500 miles. I saw 30 MPG for one tank on that trip then it dropped to 26-27 till my second trip of 900 miles which averaged 30 MPG. now I am getting 21 and 30 city/Highway.
All this means is you got to drive it to brake it in and the mileage will get better. My Aura is the XR 3.6 but I just read a post yesterday that stated a guy with an XE is getting 35 on the highway.
So, take a few days off and head south to warmer climes and put some miles on that beauty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
JA4CK
JA4CK is on a distinguished road

I am getting 11 MPG here in Miami. I complained about this to the dealer who replied "that's in the normal range"! My commute is short, less than 2 miles most days. I got much better milage on my Jaguar, which was also rated 19 MGP in the city and I got 19 miles, as advertised. I have about 4,500 miles and took a 700 mile trip, which didn't help any.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JA4CK's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JA4CK reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JA4CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
netray
netray is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I Have a 2008 Aura XE 3.5L V6 with 2,000 mile on the car and I am getting between 23 and 25 mpg in the city and 32 mpg on the hightway with snow on the roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to netray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help netray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
netray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

No one here knows how you drive in that brief commute. Your fuel economy is relative only to how you drive and the conditions you drive in. Anyone's opinion on whether that is good or bad is made without the benefit of facts other than what your DIC is reading out and that's hardly enough information to say. Based upon the same criteria, my opinion is that you're getting outstanding fuel economy. And your husband is getting terrible economy.

You will also not get the best fuel economy on such a short commute. As has been stated already, the trip length is too short for the engine to fully warm up (not talking about just the coolant temp, but all metal components) and reach optimal efficiency.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
respawn22
respawn22 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I've had my XR for a few months now and I've put almost 10,000 miles on it. I typically average about 24mpg on the highway (40 miles typical) and once I get into the city it kills my mpg and I drop to around 21 or 22. I took a trip from Ohio to DC this year and averaged about 26mpg. Honestly I drive the car hard. I've got a lead foot and I'm not afraid to use it.

The gas mileage your currently getting will probably not change much.

I would look at it this way - your short commute to work and the fact that you only put a grand total of 5600 miles on the car in over a year the gas mileage shouldn't matter much at all and here's why -

5,600 miles divided by 17mpg = 329 gallons of gas x $3.00 a gallon = $988 in fuel for the year.

5,600 miles divided by 25mpg = 224 gallons of gas x $3.00 a gallon = $672 in fuel for the year.

For a grand total savings of $316 a year... or an additional $26 a month.

I had a 2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4 that averaged a grand total of 17.5mpg at best on the highway and in the city around 16.

Lets say you were to trade in your car for a car that got 30mpg in the city and they offered you $2000 less than you owed on your Aura and you took the deal - the 30mpg car would save you $428 a year in fuel at $3.00 a gallon and it would take you almost 5 years to just break even from the $2000 loss you took.

I hope that puts it in perspective for you. Being disappointed about a great car over a $26 savings a month hardly seems worth it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to respawn22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help respawn22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
respawn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
justVUEit
justVUEit is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2002 VUE 2.2L

Any large heavy car with a 6 cylinder engine is going to get poor mileage with this short of a commute in winter, especially if there are any stop lights. I'd get as low as 21 mpg in my '97 SC2 5 speed, and that was a small light car.

Even a hybrid will get poor mileage under these conditions since the engine will run full time (no battery power) until the catalyst warms up, which will never happen in winter in a commute this short.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justVUEit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justVUEit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justVUEit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 PM   #13
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Why are you using 89 octane? It only needs 87. Save yourself some money. You're not gaining anything by using 89 so just put regular into the tank.

Quote:
I purchased my 2007 Aura 3.5 XE brand new in November 2006. I have around 5,600 miles on it and am disappointed with the mileage I'm getting. I use 89 octane fuel and have been experiencing 15-17 mpg during early winter driving conditions.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Chevy_Rules
Chevy_Rules is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA4CK View Post
I am getting 11 MPG here in Miami. I complained about this to the dealer who replied "that's in the normal range"! My commute is short, less than 2 miles most days. I got much better milage on my Jaguar, which was also rated 19 MGP in the city and I got 19 miles, as advertised. I have about 4,500 miles and took a 700 mile trip, which didn't help any.
On that short of a daily commute( if it is less then 2 miles why don't you take a cab to work?) I am not surprised you're getting that low of mileage. The car is barely warmed up so it isn't working at optimum temperature to get the best efficiency possible. So why the Jaguar got better MPG( and as advertised no less) on the same route does have me intrigued though.

BTW, what was the MPG on the 700 mile trip?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chevy_Rules's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chevy_Rules reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chevy_Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I have a fairly short commute and was getting around 15 all city driving. After it hit around 6000 miles my fuel mileage started creeping up and I now get high 18's to low 19's. On the highways it gets 27 to 29.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

As several owners here have stated, in addition to the break in the way you drive can also really affect the mileage. I once owned a Toyota MR2 with 1.6 L engine, and the mileage ranged from 22 to 35 mpg depending how I drove it.

Also, I've owned two Saturns and the mileage started peaking about 20,000k, not 10,000.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #17
88Nightmare
88Nightmare is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 Aura, had it for exactly a year now, its got 10,500ish miles, and with mostly city driving, its getting mid to upper 18's for fuel mpg. My 2006 silverado that weighs about 5,000lbs im sure with a 5.3 V8, with 37,000 miles gets about 16mpg in the city, about 20mpg with straight freeway driving

_]2007 Saturn Aura XR
Black on Black
_]2006 Chevy Silverado LT 4x4
HPTuners reflash
_]1989 Chevy Camaro RS
http://www.clocksoffracing.com - For All Your Speed Needs :D

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 88Nightmare's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 88Nightmare reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
88Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:50 AM   #18
amyseverson

Glad to hear all the advice. We DO like the car, it's very sharp looking. Get comments all the time on it. (And again, the cloth heated seats!! ) Moved up to this from a Saturn ION. I just thought it would be doing a little better MPG, since you hear alot about it in the advertising. We haven't taken a long highway trip with it yet, which we should really do so we can see how it does there. Be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
Based upon the same criteria, my opinion is that you're getting outstanding fuel economy. And your husband is getting terrible economy.
Have to say my husband & I both disagree with this statement. Doesn't quite make any sense. He's a big performance/diesel enthusiast, I'll let him explain:

Hi everyone! I'm Steve, Amy's husband. I'm glad we came across this site last night. It's always interesting to get input from others on things. I spend time on diesel truck forums all the time, knew there'd have to be a site for the Aura!

I would have to say the comment doesn't make sense Gerry about her mileage being "outstanding" and mine being "terrible". According to stats I researched on the Aura, the '07 has a curb weight of 3,647 lbs. It's rated for 224 HP/221 Lb-Ft of torque. It's 0-60 time is 8.1 seconds. It is streamlined and relatively low to the ground, with I'm sure good airflow dynamics. And for this comparison, Amy gets 16 MPG city.

My '02 Superduty CrewCab weighs just shy of 8,100 lbs. as it sits right now. Yep, that's eight-thousand pounds (yes, it's been weighed on a scale) It is 7' 10" to the roof (it's lifted) and rides on 35" tall tires. So you could call it tall and boxey. When Amy drives it she refers to it as a school bus. I have performance tuning in the engine and some other mods, and it's putting out around 380 HP right now, and 650 Lb-Ft of torque. It will beat the Aura (and many imports who have tried) in 0-60+ times. (I have a heavy right foot most of the time too) It is very surprising to see, but when the turbo is wound up, see-ya! I drive about the same distance to work, and most of the time if we are running around town with the kids it is in the truck. I also get right on 16 MPG city, and can hit 20MPG highway. I continue to get 16MPG when pulling our 9,000 lb. camper on trips as well. So while this truck was in no means built for good MPG, I will never complain about what I'm getting with it, for all that it does. And I can't see how 16MPG can be "outstanding" in a car with a rep for good MPG, and on the other hand "terrible" in a large truck where you'd look at it and never think it would get that???

Anyhow, we do enjoy the site so far and look forward to tips from other owners. Once the car reaches about 10,000 miles, I do plan on switching it to synthetic oil, which usually makes a little difference too. Has anyone tried the K&N air filters for theirs yet? Those usually help a little too. I have a complete cold air intake system on the truck, but I see they don't make those for the Aura yet, only the filters.

Thanks, we look forward to hearing more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #19
psirix
psirix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would have to say the comment doesn't make sense Gerry about her mileage being "outstanding" and mine being "terrible". According to stats I researched on the Aura, the '07 has a curb weight of 3,647 lbs. It's rated for 224 HP/221 Lb-Ft of torque. It's 0-60 time is 8.1 seconds. It is streamlined and relatively low to the ground, with I'm sure good airflow dynamics. And for this comparison, Amy gets 16 MPG city.

My '02 Superduty CrewCab weighs just shy of 8,100 lbs. as it sits right now. Yep, that's eight-thousand pounds (yes, it's been weighed on a scale) It is 7' 10" to the roof (it's lifted) and rides on 35" tall tires. So you could call it tall and boxey. When Amy drives it she refers to it as a school bus. I have performance tuning in the engine and some other mods, and it's putting out around 380 HP right now, and 650 Lb-Ft of torque. It will beat the Aura (and many imports who have tried) in 0-60+ times. (I have a heavy right foot most of the time too) It is very surprising to see, but when the turbo is wound up, see-ya! I drive about the same distance to work, and most of the time if we are running around town with the kids it is in the truck. I also get right on 16 MPG city, and can hit 20MPG highway. I continue to get 16MPG when pulling our 9,000 lb. camper on trips as well. So while this truck was in no means built for good MPG, I will never complain about what I'm getting with it, for all that it does. And I can't see how 16MPG can be "outstanding" in a car with a rep for good MPG, and on the other hand "terrible" in a large truck where you'd look at it and never think it would get that???
All I can say is I'm extremely jealous of your miracle truck gas mileage. I drive a 2006 Dodge Dakota right now as I'm anxiously waiting for the lease to be up so I can pull the Aura out of the garage. However, your truck is amazing to me. My Dakota is rated 15mpg city and 20mpg highway. I drive 63 miles to work one-way, (40+ miles is freeway driving), and I can only get about 18mpg out of the thing. I want your monster truck with it's awesome gas mileage, and I'm very jealous

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to psirix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help psirix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
psirix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #20
amyseverson

Well the truck's mileage isn't really a "miracle". It's because it's a diesel engine. We had an '01 F-150 Crewcab that was the 5.4 gas engine, and it was lucky to get 10-12 ever. Pulling our camper it got about 6!! It was awful. That's why we traded it in, and went specifically looking for a diesel engine, for their ability to tow well and maintain ok mileage. Many diesels are getting better mileage than this even, but that's without all the modifications done to this truck. But like was mentioned above, you don't own a truck like this specifically for mileage. It was definately nice to see though, after the gas engine truck was about breaking us on camping trips.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!