SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
minnidog
minnidog is on a distinguished road

Question Advantage Extended Warranty?

My dealer tried to sell me a 5yr/75K mile warranty to fix things not covered by GM's 5/100K for my new Aura. $1000 from Advantage.
Claims it's better than an extended warranty from GM.
What are some thought out there?
I had bought one before for a Pontiac minivan (wife's, NO man should drive a minivan, Ha Ha)and it saved me a couple of times.
Minnidog

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to minnidog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help minnidog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
minnidog is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #2
ChuckTheGreat
ChuckTheGreat is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XE
2001 SC2
Default Re: Advantage Extended Warranty?

If the car is still under factory warranty, I always suggest you go with the Manufacturer's Extended Warranty. The aftermarkets are mostly ok but some dealers won't accept them if they have had difficulty getting paid.

Check out saturnextendedwarranty.com

Good Luck!

"If you are gonna lose, lose big, lose early and get the subs in."

www.buysubaruaccessories.com

www.buymazdaaccessories.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChuckTheGreat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChuckTheGreat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChuckTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

OK, so the warranty basically gives you 2 more years and 39K miles of coverage for non-powertrain items. For $1000? A rip off if you ask me. Sure, you MIGHT have more than $1000 in repairs during that two year window, but the chances are slim. Remember, the powertrain warranty covers a lot of stuff.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
OK, so the warranty basically gives you 2 more years and 39K miles of coverage for non-powertrain items. For $1000? A rip off if you ask me. Sure, you MIGHT have more than $1000 in repairs during that two year window, but the chances are slim. Remember, the powertrain warranty covers a lot of stuff.
Look at miles people! The years are not the issue nowadays. Better to go with the longer mileage increment than longer in years unless you really don't get out much.
The powertrain warranty is great but really how many times does the engine/trans go out? Not often. As a sales person I ALWAYS buy the ext. warranty, Hey even at our Honda and Toyota store (Worlds Best Quality [yeah right]) They sell extended warranties 60% of the time.

I say it's worth it up to about 1500 for a longer mileage warranty. My insider tip? Deal on it ask for a discount maybe 200$ maybe 400$. Just get one, they cover rentals and all the non ware items.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYGUY10066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

How many people needed >$1,000 in repairs to non-powertrain items between 36K and 75K miles? Sure, it happens. But not very often.

The only out of warranty repairs I've needed on my VUE were my front wheel bearings, which are now covered under the GM 100K warranty. I just hit 60K.

Get the warranty if you want peace of mind. But remember that it's a gamble, and it's not in your favor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #6
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Front wheel bearings are part of the powertrain ???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Here is what the 100K warranty covers:

Engine

Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

Courtesy Transportation Program

During the warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

Roadside Assistance Program

General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms., whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
SKYGUY10066
SKYGUY10066 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
How many people needed >$1,000 in repairs to non-powertrain items between 36K and 75K miles? Sure, it happens. But not very often.

The only out of warranty repairs I've needed on my VUE were my front wheel bearings, which are now covered under the GM 100K warranty. I just hit 60K.

Get the warranty if you want peace of mind. But remember that it's a gamble, and it's not in your favor.
It is something you can canel with a prorated refund down the road. I tell people to moniter any issues with the vehicle within the warranty and then based on that cancel if no problems exist. Just my 2cents

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SKYGUY10066's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SKYGUY10066 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SKYGUY10066 is offline   Reply With Quote