SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 03:44 PM   #1
saturnguy
saturnguy is on a distinguished road

Default 5 speed LS

Hello everyone, I havent been here for awhile. My ballon is up on my 97 SL2 5 speed. I just ordered a 2001 L200 black on black with a 5 speed. We have only had one at my retailer and it got dealer traded. Only got to drive it around the lot. So my question is anybody that might have one how do you like it? How does it shift? Hows the performance with the 2.2 liter and 5 speed? Thanx for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2000, 06:04 PM   #2
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hey there. Just bought a Red/Gray 2001 L100 5 speed with the 2.2 litre engine. It's great. Acceleration is strong, not overwhelming, but very adequate. The shifting is buttery smooth. It's a great car. You will be pleased with yours. I am in the process of breaking it in, so I don't know how much gas it is going to use later on, but I have heard that they get pretty close to the EPA rating on gas mileage.

If you are used to a car with a V6, you may be disappointed, but I came from a 1988 Saab 9000T, so it is allright.

The best features of the car are its overall balance of ride, handling, space, and performance.

You will love the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2000, 06:51 PM   #3
Big Steve
Big Steve is on a distinguished road

I've had my L200 for about a month. Done 1900 miles and getting 28.5-30 in mixed driving. I love the 5 speed but when I get back into my Chev pickup, it seems to shift like a truck The Saturn is smooth and responsive. Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Big Steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Big Steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2000, 09:30 AM   #4
white_base_LS
white_base_LS is on a distinguished road

The clutch is light and smooth. The transmission shifts beautifully. I can't imagine ever having an automatic in this car... the 2.2 liter engine has plenty of power down low, and the manual trans compliments it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white_base_LS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white_base_LS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2000, 05:01 PM   #5
abkaiser
abkaiser will become famous soon enough

Just out of curiosity, how much extra grunt do you feel, compared to a 5-speed Sx1 or 2? (Assuming you've had the chance to drive a 5-speed LS and a 5-speed Sx1/2.)
...Just wondering what the difference was, if any. Would it be a noticable performance jump to move from, for example, an SL2 to a LS?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abkaiser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abkaiser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2000, 11:29 AM   #6
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2

Well let's see: (Assuming a stock configuration)
<pre>
Item SL2 L200 L300
-------------------------------------
HP 124 135 182
TQ 122 142 190
0-60 9.0 9.5 8.2 (OEM)
Weight 2399 2965 3182
</pre>
I'll post 1/4 times later. I have to find them online.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2000, 12:04 PM   #7
film52
film52 is on a distinguished road

I had a í93 SL1 5 spd, went to a LS 4 cyl 5spd. For me there was a great deal of difference in the power (my SL had 90 horsepower). I like the 5 speed and the way it shifts, the throw is short and precise. The car also has plenty of power for me; I can accelerate at 70-75 with out any problems. No it will not pin me to the seat when I floor it but I cannot imagine a need for a 6 cyl in this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to film52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help film52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2000, 02:53 PM   #8
cdavidhess
cdavidhess is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

I am a previous owner of an SL2 5 speed, and I presently own a 2000 LS1 5 speed. I would judge acceleration to be about the same on the two cars. I think the LS 5 speed shifts like a dream and highly recommend it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cdavidhess's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cdavidhess reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2000, 05:57 PM   #9
TorontoLS2
TorontoLS2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TorontoLS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TorontoLS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2000, 06:03 PM   #10
TorontoLS2
TorontoLS2 is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I purchased a LS1 (4 cylinder 5-speed) a year ago, drove it for a week and found it underpowered. THe dealership switched me to a LS2 V6 (only came in automatic) and I just love it! The car feels like a much more expensive car - good value I think - and I really appreciate the extra power. The 4 cylinder is fine, I guess my expectations were a little high. Good luck with your new car - I bet you will love it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TorontoLS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TorontoLS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2000, 11:40 AM   #11
film52
film52 is on a distinguished road

When I bought my LS 5 spd I gave my SL1 5 spd to my daughter. Yesterday I put about 120 miles on the SL1, about half in traffic. It sure easier to move up from the SL to the LS than the other way around. Driving to work in the LS this morning I had to play with all of the gadgets, seat heaters (itís cold in GA this week), cd ect and of course floor it when I could.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to film52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help film52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread