SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
dadwagon
dadwagon is on a distinguished road

Default I made a HVAC Pre-filter

I have the A/C option on my wagon and have been doing all the rehab maintenance required of a vehicle with high mileage as a late-stage owner. This involved cleaning up the engine bay but in the process destroying the HVAC foam/chicken wire filter that is at the upper left when looking at the engine bay. The wire mesh piece fell off the foam and I threw it away not knowing it was an actual GM original. In doing so, I didn't realize the foam that was left behind would soon be sucked in by the blower. When I realized there should be a filter in place at that location, it was too late and the foam had been sucked in and was in two pieces when I removed it from the blower motor. It actually hindered the A/C function significantly and made me open the blower to investigate!

It's at this point I realized the HVAC system needed at least that filter and foam in place to both prevent water and leaves/other debris from entering the blower again. But I'm cheap, don't think I'll get one of these pieces at a junkyard in reasonable condition, and simply can't buy it new from GM.

Solution: I made my own filter and wanted to share the results.

I wanted something simple and didn't mind what it looked like as long as nothing got loose and entered the system, there was a sponge in place to soak up liquids, and there was a cutout in the middle for a healthy flow of air. I ended up taking a simple household sponge and cutting the steel wool off the end and cutting a big square out of the center. I super-glued the sponge to a basic painter's mask, one that let in a high level of particulate and would be just fine for under the hood long-term. I took the metal nose piece of the mask and used it to wrap around one end of the sponge, taking the other end to task with super glue to hold it in place so neither piece could easily come loose.

With this setup, the whole piece can easily be wedged in between the sheetmetal at the A/C inlet and doesn't move much at all. It can also be easily removed, especially if you have the mask side facing down and sponge side facing up, with the metal nose piece of the mask a good place to grab it when it's time to clean and replace. It will easily filter debris and is as close to a cabin filter as possible for this vehicle.

I'll post a picture when I get time away from work and dad-ing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dadwagon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dadwagon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dadwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links