SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Laeron
Laeron is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Adding a Front License Plate Mount

So here in Missouri, having both of a front and rear license plate is required, and it does need to be mounted in the front, not just placed on the dash. I know this from personal experience when I tore the front mount off of my Bronco and thought it was NBD.

Issue is the SC2 I bought was manufactured in Kansas, and the owner lived in Kansas, so it wasn't built with a mount on the front and nobody thought to add one.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good aftermarket front license plate mount for an SC2, preferably one where I don't have to tap screws into the bumper or something like that. Usually cops here don't pay a huge amount of attention, so I should be a good for a little while, but best to get it done soon.

1994 5.8l Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer: Project
2001 DOHC SC2: Daily

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laeron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laeron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Laeron is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Adding a Front License Plate Mount

Errr, if you don't tap screws into the bumper, what pray tell are you going to attach the plate mount base to?
There is no other good place to do it.
Last march I bought a car from NC (no front plate in that state), and brought it home to VA (need both plates to be legal).
Purchased a plate mount from Walmart for a few dollars, autozone provided stainless steel tappers, and looks great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Happy Re: Adding a Front License Plate Mount

Dupe post

Last edited by onlinebiker; 11-01-2018 at 08:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Happy Re: Adding a Front License Plate Mount

An SC2 manufactured in Kansas???

Wow.

That' s pretty rare.

Ya better keep that one.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

You'd have to find a bracket that mounted from underneath the bumper however you'd still need to tap screws into the bumper. They would be on the underside and not visible should you ever remove the license plate.

Here's one I found for an example. Here's a link to the website and some photos below >> https://skenebrackets.com/index.shtml

The other option is to mount with adhesive strips. Trim adhesive would likely work well for this purpose.

This website shows a few designs that are out there >> https://www.licenseplatebracketcentr...bracket-front/

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4_FLPB-side-low_2de076d9-1a5a-415c-b706-4bc0c1c41ce9_900x900.jpg (69.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: png product_1024x1024.png (68.2 KB, 61 views)

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laeron View Post
So here in Missouri, having both of a front and rear license plate is required, and it does need to be mounted in the front, not just placed on the dash. I know this from personal experience when I tore the front mount off of my Bronco and thought it was NBD.

Issue is the SC2 I bought was manufactured in Kansas, and the owner lived in Kansas, so it wasn't built with a mount on the front and nobody thought to add one.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good aftermarket front license plate mount for an SC2, preferably one where I don't have to tap screws into the bumper or something like that. Usually cops here don't pay a huge amount of attention, so I should be a good for a little while, but best to get it done soon.
The front mount is held on the bumper cover with large pop rivets. You can not find or buy the rivet gun. You can go to a JY and get the front mount and attach it with PLASTIC nuts and bolts though. The OEM rivets are also plastic so removal is relatively easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Stick the plate on with double-sided foam tape until you find an O.E. bracket in a salvage yard. Until you mount the O.E., put a safety (string) on the plate so it won’t fly over the windshield the next time you bump draft.

At least on the 2nd Gen., there are small “divots” in the bumper cover to show you where to drill

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:39 AM   #8
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: Adding a Front License Plate Mount

Or you could do what I did (see photos).
I had the same issue as the OP (no front plate or bracket when I bought my SC2 which is just begging to be stopped by the police in this state).
So I mounted a license plate bracket using plumber's strap iron and it lasted for years.
But later I 3D printed some plastic brackets from ABS and they were both quite rigid and quite strong.
I designed them to hold the license plate slightly away from the bumper cover so as not to mar it.
The plate bracket I used is no longer available as far as I am aware, but this one is similar enough-
https://www.walmart.com/ip/68148-Fro...rsal/434754898
You could also use strap iron or aluminum and mount the plate bracket in a similar manner.

If anyone wants the .stl files for the brackets I'll be happy to post them.
But really, it's just the idea of how to mount the plate that I am trying to present.

This setup worked out quite well, lasted for years, and is still installed on the car with its new owner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSCN7534.JPG (63.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _DSCN7559.JPG (29.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg _DSCN7560.JPG (50.2 KB, 9 views)

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

Last edited by DIYguy; 11-05-2018 at 12:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

All this work and money put into simply bolting a license plate to the bumper...I don't get it. Just be a bit more careful about over-tightening it than you normally would be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #10
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I want a revolving license plate bracket for these new photo tolls on the highway. The technology is at least 54 years old.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I want a revolving license plate bracket for these new photo tolls on the highway. The technology is at least 54 years old.
I saw those on the way to the show. Tolls are getting rediculious. They were like every 10 miles for a good 50 miles or so

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:52 PM   #12
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Even good ole Virginia has gotten the excessive toll bug.
I66 nearby DC adjusts the toll based on traffic load.
The fee may change from like $10 to around $48 just on a computer model whim, and that's the 2 axle price! Outrageous!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #13
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

^^^^ Yep! That same road (Mass Pike) made me think of it - you just have to be sure you don't miss a camera while your actual plate is showing or else the watchers will put 2 and 2 together up and put you in jail.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

The stock bumper cover should have holes, where the mount is supposed to be mounted or they may need to be drilled into the cover.

Your mount will bolt into the bumper, if you want the job done correctly. They make aftermarket kits, which also bolt to the bumper cover.

Like Nuc stated, the original rivets are plastic, and are easy to drill out. If you want an original, you will have to get one from the generation of SC2 to match yours.

SL/SW license plate brackets are a different Saturn P/N than SC models, due to different bumper covers being used.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote