SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2018, 05:11 AM   #1
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2
Sad A Dodge Ram Rear-Ended Red Hot.

Dang! Got Rammed!

A Ram Pick-up merged too close from the Median before a stop light, Silverado with a dual-tandem loaded trailer behind him couldn't stop in time, so it was a 3-car chain crash.

I was stopped. My Gal with me has a little pain in her neck.

Can't close the trunk, so it's strapped down to the tow hook.

On a GOOD NOTE:

The rear bumper was flaking bad & not lookin' good. So..... Now I'll get a newly painted rear bumper!!

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: A Dodge Ram Rear-Ended Red Hot.

If the trunk doesn’t latch, you probably need a body shop to pull it back. Close is good enough. You could do the trunk yourself, but the mounts for the bumper need a body shop.

Stoplights are diabolical in their simplicity.
Everyone drives 20% over the posted limit and then we’re expected to stop in the allotted distance? Bollocks! All the stoplights need 20% more yellow

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

Last edited by bumpdraft; 08-25-2018 at 09:57 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Speeding @ 20% over?
When was the last time you were pulled over?
Usually around here, you get to see the regular speeders eventually on the side, getting to work 20 minutes late 'cause they were "just a little over Officer".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Speeding @ 20% over?
When was the last time you were pulled over?
Usually around here, you get to see the regular speeders eventually on the side, getting to work 20 minutes late 'cause they were "just a little over Officer".
45 mph posted x 1.20 = 54 mph actual speed required to keep following car one car length clear following distance.
Math checks out.
I’ve never been pulled over. I do not speed, I get out of the way.
Many years riding dirt bike and road bike.
It feels really stupid being someone else’s air bag cushion, but this is how people drive. This is why the powers-that-be are taking everyone’s steering wheel and gas pedal Half the drivers out there do not deserve a steering wheel

Last edited by bumpdraft; 08-25-2018 at 12:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #5
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcher View Post
I was stopped. My Gal with me has a little pain in her neck.
Get your necks checked out, see a good chiropractor or something. The injuries from being rear-ended do not show up right away and can last a long time. I still have bones moving around and tight muscles from being rear-ended last November.

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #6
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Get your necks checked out, see a good chiropractor or something. The injuries from being rear-ended do not show up right away and can last a long time. I still have bones moving around and tight muscles from being rear-ended last November.
Yes, told her the same thing. I think she's going in Monday.

Trunk is "sprung" fur sure! Upper sides of it are "up & pushed in" more than normal.

If the guy in the Silverado in the back has to pay for it (??), he'll be TICKED! The guy in the Ram (behind me) pulled in between the Silverado & me in WAY too tight of a spot.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2018, 07:47 PM   #7
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

One thing I have to say about the Dodge Ram, it is the perfect vehicle to get rear ended in. A couple of Easters ago we were hit on I90 by some Honda SUV thing. It came right apart. We were fine.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Yes, told her the same thing. I think she's going in Monday.

Trunk is "sprung" fur sure! Upper sides of it are "up & pushed in" more than normal.

If the guy in the Silverado in the back has to pay for it (??), he'll be TICKED! The guy in the Ram (behind me) pulled in between the Silverado & me in WAY too tight of a spot.
Depending on exactly which state you are in determines who gets the bill. Who got ticked by the cops?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #9
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
One thing I have to say about the Dodge Ram, it is the perfect vehicle to get rear ended in. A couple of Easters ago we were hit on I90 by some Honda SUV thing. It came right apart. We were fine.
Yep. I see you also have a '98 SC2.

Mine is the rare "Red Hot" - a Black Top, Black Badges, Black Teardrop II Rims, etc, etc. 5-Speed also.

Absolutely LOVE it & not happy it got "Rammed in the Rear" but the rear bumper was severely Sun flaked. Happy it'll be repainted though....

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
Yes, this is very true. I had a rear-end collision when I was 17. I have some damage that still makes its presence known, when I turn my neck too quickly or I am leaning my head forward for extended periods of time. My initial injury was merely a strained neck, but neck muscles are like your back muscles and not very strong. They also tend to always be in use, which inhibits proper healing.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
This is also true. The 3.7L/4.7L/5.7 Hemi boat anchors are known for snapping engines mounts(made from cheap, cast aluminum) in front end collisions(which destroys the block casting bosses too). So the truck probably just dropped its drive train on the ground, tires and all. The transmission was probably already on its way out, anyway, in typical Chrysler fashion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

The only problem with a Chrysler is the abusive way people drive them.
Transmission Killizas!
————-
To original thread topic: Pictures, or it did not happen.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #13
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Wrench Re: A Dodge Ram Rear-Ended Red Hot.

The back end of my SC2 was "pre-damaged for my convenience" when I bought it.
The trunk latch was very stiff and the paint on the bumper cover was cracked and partially missing in spots.
I quickly discovered that the rear edge of the trunk opening was not remotely straight.
It had been a tow vehicle behind a motor home for most of its prior life and apparently the previous owner had backed into something with it.

I pulled the rear bumper and support structure off.
I then backed it up near a large tree and used some chains and a cable winch like this one- https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ler-63448.html to pull the bodywork straight.
Then I used a sledge hammer and toe dolly to flatten out the remaining wrinkles.
Some paint and elbow grease later and everything aligned nicely again.
Then I put the support and crazed bumper cover back on and drove it that way until summer when I could paint it properly.

Point is- depending upon how bad it is, you can probably pull it out yourself.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #14
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1998 SL2

Any pictures of the damage?

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Transmission Killizas!
————-
It is my understanding, that when you buy a new Chrysler product, the salesman play the Mission Impossible theme song.

Then you get an envelope, with a flash drive for the radio. When you plug it in, a voice calls out: "This vehicle will self-destruct in 30 seconds."(Which is usually about the time it takes for the transmission to start failing.....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Not that this will come as a big surprise, but Chrysler was the last of the "Big 3" to develop a fully automatic transmission.

And while Ford and GM might have only had two forward gears in the 1950s, Chryslers engineers couldn't understand how to design a transmission that had PARK, as the very first Chrysler automatics had only reverse and forward gears similar to a manual and were operated with push buttons.

Seems to me like they finally figured out how to get one made with Park, now they just can't seem to figure out how to get all of the gears to actually work in one direction or the other......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM   #17
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: A Dodge Ram Rear-Ended Red Hot.

My very first car was a Dodge with a two speed slush box.
It had a nasty habit of randomly expelling the poppet spools from the valve body when shifting it from "park" to some other gear.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Wow, sorry to hear about this. Sucks when you take pride in a car (or anything, for that matter) an some other idjit is responsible for damaging it.
Quote:
Yeah, hopefully the RAM buy gets the ticket and has to pay for all 3 vehicles. Without him, there would have presumably been no accident.

OT, just got back from driving from MI to NY, if our minivan makes it another 40k miles, this will be our third Chrysler minivan with an auto trans to make it over 200k miles (and my 6th Chrysler auto trans vehicle).

I'd completely forgotten until now because it's been so long, but my dad bought Chrysler slushboxes exclusively, starting with a Dodge Dart with the slant 6, on to Imperials, Gran Furys, and the like.

He did zero maintenance (he got the oil changed once or twice a year when it was time for the safety inspection, think it used to be twice a year, later changed to once a year) with no transmission issues before trading them in. Engines were usually a little worn by then

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 01:31 AM   #19
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Transmission Killizas!
————-
I don't know, put a good 200k (350k when retired) miles on a ram 3500 pulling 10-14tons of hay, granted it's a manual.

But I wasn't known for being 'nice' when 'ahead of schedule'. Neither was the rodeos.

For me any ram vehicles was like clockwork, at 200k miles replace wheel bearings and that pretty much sums up the whole amount of maintenance if you use true OEM parts, rebuilds or other brand parts always failed after 10-20k miles.

If any user helped you, be sure to rep them.

Late 99 SC2 2.5 Gen, 237k miles

"Well... Now my car looks like a blackbarry." - Medtactics, 2017

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:52 AM   #20
Pitcher
Master Member

1998 SC2

Soooooo..... While I wait.....

The Insurance Companies are trying to decide if the middle Pick-up (The Ram) was responsible for rear-ending me by pulling into too tight of a spot. Or, if it was the White Chevy Pick-up in the back.

Middle Ran guy isn't responding to calls or mailings.

I did an interview & was VERY CLEAR the accident wouldn't have happened if the Ram didn't pull in between. White Chevy guy in the back says the exact same thing.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!