SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #21
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Window sill trim removal help?

Thanks for the info and link. I'll check out the Richpin vid and yesterday, I was considering the trim tools like you mentioned.

My foam for the mirror was in good shape and was not suck at all. I did add some closed cell foam to that one area that I mentioned, to seal off that gap at the arrows, but it didn't make any difference.

Like you, I was assuming it is that strip along the glass, not making enough contact with the window. However, it looks the same as the other doors and they don't leak. I'll compare them all with a credit card though. Maybe there's a difference that I can't see.

Thinking about that, you gave me a good idea for testing it. I'm going to wedge a thin, but long trip of rubber into the slot (channel) between the glass seal flap and the outer rubber strip. That should add pressure to the seal against the glass. If that keeps water from going in, then I'll at least know what the trouble is.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
AJR
Advanced Member
AJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the roughAJR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Out of clues right now. Can't confirm it is the trim. I wedged popsicle sticks on edge into the gap so the trim would press tightly against the glass and it still leaked. Then I pressed caulk along the vertical edge of that black plastic trim of the mirror, against the glass and it's still leaking.

Then I took a large syringe and directed water down that hole at arrow 1 in my picture and it still leaked into the door.

The funny thing is, I took the passenger side mirror off and that same hole is there, but no water leaks into the door. So that is leading back to a drainage issue.

Floridasl..., when you took your door apart, did you notice any area that looked like it was designed for drainage?

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #23
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No I didn't, but that said I wasn't looking at the issue you have. I was replacing the door check so my activity was at the bottom of the door, not the top.

How does the length of the top trim piece on the drivers side compare to the passenger side?
As far as I can see, the only thing that 'lines up' the position of that trim piece on the top of the door is the location of the hole for the screw at the side of the door. What happens if you move that top trim piece up against the door mirror area?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #24
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

The trim is in the exact same position on both sides. I can't shift the trim in the slightest. I wonder if there is plastic sheeting under the door panel that has been compromised?

Adny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #25
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The plastic liner is stuck to the door panel, but doesn't get near the the trim piece. It sounds like yours is just stuck, pure and simple.
I have no idea where you are based, so no idea on outside temps, but why not run the hair dryer over it, just to warm it up. The part is a mix of metal, plastic & rubber, so a little heat may just loosen it slightly.
The trim piece is basically a horseshoe shape at the top which grips the top of the door. The door panel hangs from the top of the door panel by 2 small locators which sit in 2 slots on the door top edge. The trim piece covers those slots.
As I stated earlier, I too had a hard time trying to move the trim piece UP from the front and achieved success by using that trim tool as a lever at the back (inside of the door window). I also had my son help as well by gripping the bottom of the plastic door panel (all retaining bolts removed) and pulling out slightly at the bottom then pushing up.
You just have to go softly, softly catchee monkey.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #26
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you. I'll be getting a trim tool this week and I'll give it a try. Bottom line is, I'm getting nowhere without removing the door panel to see what's happening inside.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #27
tooter1
tooter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJR View Post
Thank you. I'll be getting a trim tool this week and I'll give it a try. Bottom line is, I'm getting nowhere without removing the door panel to see what's happening inside.

Andy
I had to take mine off a while back and, IIRC you have to slide it one way or the other and it'll pop up.

'03 Saturn ION Level 3 Sedan
'01 Saturn SL2
'00 Saturn LS2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tooter1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tooter1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #28
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter1 View Post
I had to take mine off a while back and, IIRC you have to slide it one way or the other and it'll pop up.
I gave that a try yesterday and I got the trim t slide back and forth by tapping the ends with a rawhide mallet. I still wasn't able to pop it off.

Great idea though. I thought for sure I was gonna get it. I'm sure that will work in a lot of instances though.

I should get some time to finally get the trim tool this week.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #29
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I finally got my trim tools and took the door apart today. Now I'm more confused than before. I expected to find that plastic shield compromised in some way, but it was secure and in perfect shape.

I removed it so I could see into the door and indeed, there are a couple of drains that were plugged, but that has nothing to do with the problem (I did clear them though).

The water drains down that space in the trim (arrow 1, shown close up in a previous post) and runs down and onto the two connections (arrow 2) and then around the speaker (arrow 3). That's where it's leaking inside, behind the plastic, just below the speaker.

The thing is, I find no way of keeping water from running down that spot. The trim on the other side (including mirror) is exactly the same way and no water comes inside.

I can easily create a water tight plastic shield for both the plugs and the speaker and the water will run to the bottom of the door, but I can't help but wonder if water is even supposed to get in there or not.

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside.jpg (106.7 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #30
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's an out of the box suggestion...
Pop the window trim back MINUS the outside door panel. Get a water container that you can control the flow carefully, like a small watering can or something. Roll up the window, then slowly work your way across the top of the door pouring small amounts of water against the window bottom as if it was raining. I would do it in sections and watch where the water flows. You will be able to watch this as you have no exterior door panel blocking the interior view. Finally be especially slow and careful near the mirror which is where you reckon the ingress is taking place. It's not super scientific but it will at least allow you to see where the water goes.
Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #31
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Not so out of the box at all and that's 'exactly' what I already did yesterday. I watched the water run along the trim and down that opening at arrow one and onto the plugs and speaker.

What I don't get is why doesn't it happen on the passenger side when the same opening is there at the end of the trim near the mirror? It's baffling.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #32
floridasl22002

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the water is running along the rubber trim and disappearing down the hole, why not pop a blob of silicone caulk at the end of the trim and that will effectively stop the water disappearing down the hole. The silicone caulk will flex with the rubber window seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #33
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

That can't be done. The trim basically ends, creating that hole and it leaves a small section of exposed glass (between the end of the trim and the mirror). The silicone would have to seal right up against the glass to keep the water out and then I can't open and close the window.

It's almost like it was designed this way because both sides are the same. That's what confuses me. I guess I'll have to try to create some kind of drain that will take the water from that spot and direct it to the bottom of the door.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #34
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Slightly off topic but since it has been brought up here several times on this post.

The front door checks can be replaced without removing the outer or the inner door panels. I've replaced them on 2- L-cars:

Remove the screws at the bottom of the interior door panel. I then used a piece of wood to prop open the bottom of the door panel from the frame. Next, take out the door speaker. The door check can now be removed and replaced going through the opening left by the speaker now removed.

These door checks tends to break if they are not lubed. Give them a shot of WD-40 or similar once or twice a year to prevent binding and the resulting breakage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #35
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
Remove the screws at the bottom of the interior door panel. I then used a piece of wood to prop open the bottom of the door panel from the frame.
I'm confused...do you mean the torx head screws for the outer skin? I don't see any screws along the bottom for the inner panel.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #36
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Making a drain was impossible. So here is what I ended up doing. I used Polyken foil mastic tape and working from the bottom up (like siding), I covered the speaker and then the two plugs.

I cleaned out the bottom edge of the door inside and cleared the drains. I put the trim back on and tried some water and every drop gets directed straight down to the drain at the bottom. While I was in there, I greased and lubed the power window mechanism.

That's just about the only thing I could think of doing. I'll take off the passenger door another time and see what's happening with the water. I want to clear the drains and grease that window mechanism anyway.

Thanks for all the advice. If I come up with any other answers, I'll let you know.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #37
rb6667
Advanced Member
rb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to beholdrb6667 is a splendid one to behold

2004 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2004 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

AJR, the front door panels on both of my 2004 L-Series wagons have Phillips screws at the bottom of the interior door panels. Possibly the earlier years do not have this.

The method outlined earlier allows you to replace the door check only. Nothing else.

Hopefully this will clarify it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rb6667's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rb6667 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rb6667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 PM   #38
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb6667 View Post
AJR, the front door panels on both of my 2004 L-Series wagons have Phillips screws at the bottom of the interior door panels. Possibly the earlier years do not have this.
It turns out that earlier models do have these aforementioned screws (three, if memory serves me correctly) at the bottom of the interior door panel. My car has them and that was from the first year of production.

327,000 miles - Holy canolli!
A dishonest communist and deep state socialists want to be POTUS.
They'll bring us a bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:28 AM   #39
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hmmm, I didn't think my older model had those screws. I didn't notice any when I started looking into my situation. I'll be putting the door back together today and I'll have a closer look.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation
Old 07-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #40
AJR
Advanced Member

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

So I put my door back together and found three extra screws. DOH! I realized my car does have those inner panel screws after all, because I had taken them off.

Oh and my repair started a drought. It hasn't rained once since I fixed it and now there's no rain in sight.

Andy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJR's Reputation