SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
xXSaturnManXx
xXSaturnManXx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Sorry Another Exhaust Question

I have a 99 sl2 and I just want the exhaust to sound good but not like these riced out civics. Ive asked a local muffler shop and they said just keep everything stock except for the muffler for $160. and a shop a littler farther away said they would do a cat-back(not mandrel bent) for $175-$200 and I called Midas and they said they wont do my exhaust because it won't sound good and he said to get one of those exhaust kits for my car, but I don't really want to pay $334 for that kit. and a friend of mine suggested to put a big resonator and a muffler and it should work. so I was curious if I should just that cat-back from the shop or what should I do. I just want it to sound badass. any help is needed. please and thanks

Car Audio For Life

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to xXSaturnManXx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help xXSaturnManXx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
xXSaturnManXx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Sorry Another Exhaust Question

So this is a question we don't really get that often. Many are modding for performance. But you started with wanting sound. That is cool. It think if that is your goal you can find decent sound at a pretty low price.

First, it is really hard to make a NA 4 cylinder sound bad ass. Some engines you just uncork them and they sound great, not a 4 cylinder. There are points in the rev band that will sound good and they can sound good at idle, but for 80% under acceraltion it will sound like a pissed off lawn mower. It it just the sound that a NA 4 cylinder makes.

But in the spectrum of not great sounding 4 cylinders there are some better than others. Some can sound good, if not great. There are many factors deciding how an exhaust sounds, but if you are wanting a plesant tone I'd suggest slightly larger pipes and quality pieces. I'd avoid bolting a can to your stock pipe as those never really sound that good. I think you have to be very careful to get good sound from a straight through. Even then it has it not so great moments.

There are some pretty high flow muffler make pretty good noises. I've always liked the Dynomax Turbo and SuperTurbo. They are pretty inexpensive and make some nice tones, while still cutting the noise. Will people here you a block away? Maybe not, but the car will sound pretty good.

The biggest secret about getting a car to sound good is to start at the other end of the engine though. Really the noise the most people really like is intake noise. It sounds weird but it is the truth. 4 cylinders make pretty good intake noises. For that reason I'd suggest an intake that will maximize that effect. A short Ram intake is cheap frees up a few horses and will give you something to listen to.

But intake noise is not very loud. Even better reason to run a super turbo type muffler, which isn't too loud. The exhaust won't be too over powering for the intake.

So I guess all of this mumbling should come into focus at some point. Well here we go.

I'd say get the cat back crushed pipes done with a Magnaflow straight through in the middle of the pipe to act as a resonator and a muffler like the super turbo as the final muffler. Don't worry about a tip. It wouldn't be dressy, but it will sound nice and not look like a Pepboys job. I think tips are too often used. Some many use them to dress up a ****ty exhaust, you might as well not be seen as part of that crowd.

Perhaps even before you do that though, I'd suggest buying an intake. The DOHC breathing through an intake makes a nice sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

Iíve changed the exhaust in a few Saturnís before. You can get a really nice sounding exhaust AND a performance boost without the noise.

Neither of these were my initial goals, I just wanted a nice stainless steel muffler and it just so happened at the time Magnaflow had a rebate that made them cheaper than a generic brand muffler.

I didnít change the pipes as theyíre already stainless, but you could bump it up to 2Ē piping (stock is 1 7/8Ē). Do not go bigger than this or it will sound like rice. The mufflers I put on are below.

Cutting off the old muffler in the rear and adding this will give you the sound and a little performance since itís not as restrictive.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1122...agnaflow+11224

If itís still too loud for you, youíll want to add in an additional resonator (right behind the factory resonator). Adding both this resonator and the muffler above will make the exhaust no louder than stock. The tone will just be different as these arenít chambered mufflers.

http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-1044...0444+magnaflow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
xXSaturnManXx

1999 SL2

so pretty much get the 2" piping and that magnaflow resonator then either a superturbo or that magnaflow muffler. and that 2" piping will probably be crushed bent. And it will be cheaper to buy the resonator and muffler then take it to a shop to put everything on then to get them to get a muffler and stuff? and you said to put the magnaflow resonator then stock resonator then muffler? wont that make it super quiet? on a side not I already have a short ram intake. check out my pics if you want.

Car Audio For Life

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help xXSaturnManXx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Nicktheviperman
Advanced Member
Nicktheviperman is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

i have sohc i did a massive intake and a thrush turbo 11 inch case with a 24 inch resnator my car doesnt have one like dohc... but its loud lol i wouldnt go any louder

hmmmmmmmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nicktheviperman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nicktheviperman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nicktheviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

I have a header highflow cat, 2.5 inch pipe, Magnaflow straight as a resonator and a OBX straight twin tip muffler at the end. It is stupid loud and heavier than it needs to be with 2.5 instead of 2.25 inch. But it flows.

The large pipe kills the the insect like buzz quite a bit and the setup is decently deep.

But the setup wasn't too cheap and I think if you were going for sound it isn't great, but it turned out Ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDMBcVwws9o

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
xXSaturnManXx

1999 SL2

in that video that's not to bad sounding. o that shop was going to put a 2.25 crush bent cat back with a magnaflow muffler. im not sure if they were going to put a resonator or not. if I got whats above would it matter if it had a resonator or not? its so complicated

Car Audio For Life

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
cloud819
Master Member

2001 SC2

Perhaps not bad for an uncorked Saturn, but I'd not call it great when compared to a many other cars.

I'd put a resonator in, like the factory did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!