SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
derrickweber
derrickweber is on a distinguished road

Default oil in my coolant resivore

i have oil in my coolant resiore an im not sure what it is from. my car is running jus fine there is lil crack n my coolant resivore so i have to add coolant about once a week. but last time i checked it there was black stuff in it so i put my finger in it an it was oil an smelled liked gas. i jus checked my transmisslon fulid an it is a milkiey pink color but my oil is jus fine its not chocolatly like a blown head gasket would be so im stuck any help would b great thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to derrickweber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help derrickweber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
derrickweber is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: oil in my coolant resivore

Based on the assumption that you have a SOHC motor, and of course it's only an assumption because you didn't provide any information as to what you're working on, you have a cracked head. Very common with SOHC motors. You'll need to replace the head and thoroughly flush the cooling system with degreaser to get all of the oil out of it. When I worked for Saturn I always flushed the cooling system before removing the cracked head so the system was clean before reassembly with a new head. Also not a bad idea to replace all of the hoses and the thermostat while you have it apart.

One more thing... r-e-s-e-r-v-o-i-r.

Search the forum for cracked head, you'll have all of the information you need.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1

If the transmission fluid is getting into the coolant, the transmission cooler may be leaking into the rad or vice versa.

Chocolate coolant reservoirs are usually a cracked head on SOHC and quite depressing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE

I had lots of problems with with '95 thru '97 DOHC engines. Porous heads (defective castings?) were the problem and the milkshake in the coolant bottle was the result. Like Squareback said, more information will yield better results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

[QUOTE=Tommie;1947679]If the transmission fluid is getting into the coolant, the transmission cooler may be leaking into the rad or vice versa.

Triple check your ATF and if it is milky pink through and through then you may luck out and only need a new radiator. Of course you will have to completely drain out the old ATF, which would require multiple drain/refills. You should not power flush the auto trans.

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by el diablo viejo View Post
Triple check your ATF and if it is milky pink through and through then you may luck out and only need a new radiator. Of course you will have to completely drain out the old ATF, which would require multiple drain/refills. You should not power flush the auto trans.
Yes to the multiple drains & refills, but in this case OP should also drop the the tank to pour out & scrub any leftovers. No point doing all the work this car seems to require only to leave behind some coolant-contaminated ATF that could further shorten the Transmission's life.

My next thought would be that driving a few miles with a can of TransTune before the first drain might dilute the contaiminated fluid and lower the viscosity so more of it would run off surfaces and collect in the tank for draining. Is that a sound theory? Or is there any risk of harmful reaction from introducing TansTune to the ATF in the presence of coolant?

'94 navy blue SC1 from 04.2004 to 04.2011 which retired undefeated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote