SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Does this oil filter look normal?

This is out of a 2005 Ecotech and a Purolator brand filter. I do not remember it being distorted like this last time so I'm wondering if it is something to be concerned about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P0001906.JPG (164.0 KB, 199 views)

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Does this oil filter look normal?

they just get like that sometime. i dont know why but ive had that before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

yes, I've had that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, the filter is intentionally long to allow it to seal and filter correctly because of the capped type housing IMO. there could be other reasons, too, but it is right, and it is intentional.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

No it's not normal, and if you snap the oil filter into the cap and install the filter and cap as one piece I think you'll find that will not happen again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Normal.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I guess the five ION's around here are abnormal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

normal

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadIon View Post
I guess the five ION's around here are abnormal
all 3 2.2 ecotecs I've owned did this.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 AM   #10
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

and I should add I do snap my filters into the cap.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Thanks for the pic. Haven't needed to inspect my filter before and noticed that condition... Good to know for future reference.

Has anyone noticed if some filters tend to do this more then others? (Ones that are potentially longer then "standard"?)

The logic of having some extra length so that the filter crushes or seals when the cap is installed makes sense. Would it also make sense that some excessive "twisting" or that a weaker/less firm filter cartridge might show more of this stress then others?

Not that many would remember this but the first few filters for my 2003 ION were of a "Zig/Zag" pattern and appeared more robust then many of the straight pleat versions that came later (For 2004 and later IONs the Zig/Zag filter wasn't compatible, yet the straight design used in 04+ models do work in the '03s)

I'd suspect that design wouldn't show that type of "damage" or that maybe a more "heavy" filter material might reduce that kind of appearance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2

Thanks for all the replies and it looks like something not to worry about. I maintain two Ecotecs so I will closely examine the filters next time and will also try NAPA filters to see what they look like.

97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Greg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Greg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
danbosko
danbosko is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah, it looks normal for 8k miles, after it get's gummed up and starts imploding!
Seriously, I have an ION and a Cobalt that use this same filter. Change my own oil. Some things I've noticed over 9 yrs.:
STP filters suck!
Bosch ain't too bad.
Fram's are resonable.
AC Delco seem pretty consistent and standard.
Puralator Golds look pretty nice, I just tried one last change.
You can read the product literature on the sides and see how much ppm they are supposed to filter out, but even looking at them you can sense some are more dense and of a better filter medium than others. I also put a puralotor standard one in my cobalt last change. I'm not expecting the best results. I'll change at 3k on the dot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danbosko's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danbosko reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danbosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

why don't you use the OLM?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

The vertical squeezing or compression of the pleated filter element is 100% normal. In the 9 years I've been changing Ecotec filters every one of them comes out squeezed like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbosko View Post
Yeah, it looks normal for 8k miles, after it get's gummed up and starts imploding!
Seriously, I have an ION and a Cobalt that use this same filter. Change my own oil. Some things I've noticed over 9 yrs.:
STP filters suck!
Bosch ain't too bad.
Fram's are resonable.
AC Delco seem pretty consistent and standard.
Puralator Golds look pretty nice, I just tried one last change.
You can read the product literature on the sides and see how much ppm they are supposed to filter out, but even looking at them you can sense some are more dense and of a better filter medium than others. I also put a puralotor standard one in my cobalt last change. I'm not expecting the best results. I'll change at 3k on the dot.
I think an oil analysis is much more accurate than what your eyes can pick up as particles on the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #17
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
The vertical squeezing or compression of the pleated filter element is 100% normal. In the 9 years I've been changing Ecotec filters every one of them comes out squeezed like that.
9 years? I thought the engine was barely 8 years old? anyhoo, that many years of experience trumps road's

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

The 2.2LT Ecotec came out with the 2000 model year L-series.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #19
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

oops, wonder where I got 02 from...

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
RoadIon
Advanced Member

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Ok because I have never seen this crushed filter syndrome on any of the ION's from around here to include 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4L I thought I'd wait till I had a chance to do an oil change.

This video is of my neighbors 2007 2.4L ION sedan. I changed the oil for him the last time. Now that he was ready for another I thought I'd get my camera out and give you believers of crushed oil filter is normal something to think about.

Only two reasons for that filter to be crushed, can you guess what they are?
If not, thats why you think it's normal.

One of the links are sure to work for you, but you have to click on it.

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/a...terRemoval.flv

http://s858.photobucket.com/albums/ab143/RoadIon/?action=view&current=24OilFilterRemoval.flv

Last edited by RoadIon; 02-15-2010 at 04:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!