SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Relay > Relay General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
restrec
restrec is on a distinguished road

Question Rear Air Compressor Crazy

When I turn off the engine and wait 10 seconds before exiting the vehicle the rear air compressor starts working. If I open my door or the passenger's door it will stop. If I don't and wait for it to stop it will not, I've tried 8-10 minutes and it keeps running. I verified this because I went out of the vehicle thru the window, went underneath and could see and hear the compressor running, I checked the on/off swith and it was off. I decided to release the electrical harness that goes to it because it makes me crazy at times. Any ideas what's going on and how to stop this ? Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to restrec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help restrec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
restrec is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Rear Air Compressor Crazy

Ummmm, your Relay has ONE (1) ac compressor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by restrec View Post
When I turn off the engine and wait 10 seconds before exiting the vehicle the rear air compressor starts working. If I open my door or the passenger's door it will stop. If I don't and wait for it to stop it will not, I've tried 8-10 minutes and it keeps running. I verified this because I went out of the vehicle thru the window, went underneath and could see and hear the compressor running, I checked the on/off swith and it was off. I decided to release the electrical harness that goes to it because it makes me crazy at times. Any ideas what's going on and how to stop this ? Thanks.
There is only one Air Conditioning compressor. It is engine driven and shuts off when the engine stops running.

You stated that when you open the driver's door or passenger door, it stops. This tells me that whatever is running, is included on the retained accessory power circuit. This allows you to open and close the power windows after shutting the engine off, run the radio (perhaps DVD player too).

I'm not familiar enough with the Relay to know if it has an automatic load leveling (air springs) option. Many vehicles with that option have a small air compressor in the rear to adjust the ride height via air springs. I remember seeing an older Buick that when parked on a hill, would jack the back end up trying to achieve "level".

As long as you it stops when you open the driver or passenger door, there shouldn't be an issue with it draining your battery. If you disconnected the controls for the rear seat A/C, you'll find out when it warms up enough for the back seat denizens to complain because they don't have A/C.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about the air compressor for the self leveling rear springs... not the A/C compressor (the post said nothing about an air conditioning compressor).

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OhioVueBoy is offline   Reply With Quote