SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2001, 03:51 PM   #1
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Default Purge Selinoid

Well after 1 month I called the Saturn retailer and asked about the part. It's in! Made an appointment for next week. We will see if this cures the rattling noise when the car is cold. I will post the results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2001, 07:42 PM   #2
DebsVUE
DebsVUE is on a distinguished road

Yes, please keep us informed regarding this problem. I spoke with my Saturn dealership last Saturday and yes, they are aware of the problem but according to them there is no "fix" yet. I can only hear this noise when the temperature is around zero degrees or colder. I not only am interested if it works, but what they replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DebsVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DebsVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2001, 01:13 AM   #3
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

I am taking mine back in on Friday night, Feb. 2. I have to leave it on the lot overnight in order to prove the problem. This is the second time in 12 months. Why do they not take my word for it? I am getting frustrated with Saturn. This will be first time in my life that I will probably not keep a car for well over 5 years. I am already starting to look around to consider getting rid of my LW1. My patience is running out with GM advertising items that are not available such as the Cargo liner and advertising the wrong gas tank size. Not to mention the headlight stalk running hot. I am going to the Auto show in Toronto next month for the first time in my life. I really doubt if I will keep this car past 3 years. I will probably get rid of it before the warranty expires. Any comments on the Subaru Outback?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2001, 04:08 PM   #4
Spork

Went by my local Saturn store at lunch to pick up some oil filters. Talked to the service manager about the noise, and he is going to have me come in Friday the second as well. He was saying it's the fuel rail clips or something like that. It sounds more like a solenoid to me, but I'll let them try what they think first. If that doesn't work, they can try something else. And yes, it only happens on very cold days.. 5f or colder, and has been sitting a while. I have a 2.2l engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-25-2001, 04:40 PM   #5
ricksLS1
Master Member

I just brought the car in at 5am and it got cold. The service deparment made that determination. I will post the results. Silverplum .. If the headlight stalk is hot why don't they change it? people have had that done numerous times in the posts. Mine is ok. I hope the new part fixes the problem. If not I go to Saturn CAC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2001, 04:41 PM   #6
film52
film52 is on a distinguished road

Please describe the noise. Does the noise increase when you accelerate or race the motor in neutral? I hear a noise in my LS1, 2.2L engine as well, when itís cold. Not anywhere near 5F more like 20-30F after the car has been sitting over night. It seems the noise disappears as soon as the car reaches normal temperature. My noise sounds like a valve tapping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to film52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help film52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-25-2001, 05:40 PM   #7
Spork

Yes, valve tapping is a good description of the sound. I get it after sitting over night or parked all day and it is very cold.. 5F or colder. It is there under load, but foot off the gas and it goes away. After 5-10 minutes and it has warmed up, no more noise.

One odd thing not related that the parts guy mentioned. They re-labled the boxes for the oil filters as the V6 and the I4 filters look similar baut are physicaly different. Apparently a fleet operation of LS's (rent a car I think) bought filters in bulk. Some of the cars ended up with the wrong filters and the engines self-distructed. The boxes now say what specific engine they are for.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 01-25-2001, 10:26 PM   #8
SilverPlumGirl
SilverPlumGirl is on a distinguished road

Thank-you thank-you thank-you for keeping us updated on this
damn problem.

I am happy that this may be solved soon.

This way I can tell my service manager that
there is a solution!!

And I won't get "the look" from the service people, everytime I take my LS-1 back again for another "noise" problem.

They say I just have good ears...I say a brand new car shouldn't
make that sound!

Can't wait for the posting!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SilverPlumGirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SilverPlumGirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2001, 06:32 PM   #9
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Hey folks;

There is possible confusion here. There was a thread over on Tech side of board a little while ago that covered the 2 noises ....one is purge solenoid related and other is fuel line related.

As I remember it,I think it was Sattech who said Saturn had replaced solenoid with revised version that stopped the cold temp clicking noise,but I don't recall if he had TSB number.The other noise was a transfer of injector noise along fuel line which resonated off firewall due to faulty retaining clip (TSB 00T29 issued 5/2000 applies). But suggest you look at the thread for details.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2001, 10:15 PM   #10
sattech
sattech is on a distinguished road

Some solenoids are quieter than others, so replacing it MAY fix the noise. There is no updated solenoid at this time. From what I've been told, Saturn is still working on it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sattech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sattech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2001, 09:38 AM   #11
ricksLS1
Master Member

It took a month to get the part so hopefully it is updated. If some make noise and others don't then they can keep replacing until they get it right. No excuses for this noise Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2001, 12:26 PM   #12
film52
film52 is on a distinguished road

Spork

Thanks for the info. I will have the selinoid checked first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to film52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help film52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread