SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
SaturnSudbury
SaturnSudbury is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Checkered Flag MPG Ratings Now Out In My New Canadian Brouchure just in today!

MPG (Note:Imperial Gallons not the U.S Gallon)Rating Are In My New Canadian Brouchures just in the dealerships today!
08 ASTRA Listed at 34 City and 43 Hwy (1.8l Auto Trans)
08 ASTRA Listed at 33 City and 46 Hwy (1.8l Manual Trans)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSudbury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSudbury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: MPG Ratings Now Out In My New Canadian Brouchure just in today!

Converted that would be

Auto: 28/36
Manual: 27/38

I think Canada tests the vehicles differently. These numbers are higher than the rumored US Astra mpg I've seen.

I heard that the ratings are 24/30 (auto) and 24/32 (manual).

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Is that Imp. Gallons and KM or miles?

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

That seems a little low for a 1.8L, The 2.2 ecotec was rated at 35 mpg's for the manual.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #5
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

U.S.

5 door XE auto 24/30
5 door XR auto 24/30
3 door XR auto 24/30

5 door XE 5spd 24/32
5 door XR 5spd 24/32
3 door XR 5spd 24/32

Thats with the new U.S. government rating system that started in 2008. So what ever you remember from back in the day has nothing to do with today.

Last edited by SaturnSdn; 12-10-2007 at 11:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #6
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

That's it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #7
strangebrew
strangebrew will become famous soon enough

A little engine, a slow car, and not very fantastic gas mileage? I see a winner here!

I really like the looks of the car, but with that engine and no aux input, no thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strangebrew's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strangebrew reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviation View Post
That seems a little low for a 1.8L, The 2.2 ecotec was rated at 35 mpg's for the manual.
The 2003 ION manual was rated at 26/33 using the old EPA test. The new test rates it as 22/30, so the Astra does get better rated mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangebrew View Post
A little engine, a slow car, and not very fantastic gas mileage? I see a winner here!

I really like the looks of the car, but with that engine and no aux input, no thanks.
The Astra doesn't really excel in speed or mpg, but what's important is if it is powerful enough in real-world use and if the mileage is sufficient in actual driving.

We can stare at the numbers all day long, but it's not the numbers that matter. I don't care if my car is rated at 50hp and 5mpg; what I care about is if it is fast enough for my tastes and if it gives me adequate mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: MPG Ratings Now Out In My New Canadian Brouchure just in today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
The Astra doesn't really excel in speed or mpg, but what's important is if it is powerful enough in real-world use and if the mileage is sufficient in actual driving.

We can stare at the numbers all day long, but it's not the numbers that matter. I don't care if my car is rated at 50hp and 5mpg; what I care about is if it is fast enough for my tastes and if it gives me adequate mileage.
Shame on you, spencerb. Facts and logic have no place on an internet forum.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #11
spencerb
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Shame on you, spencerb. Facts and logic have no place on an internet forum.
Sorry, that's the engineer in me coming out!

If we only considered facts and logic, forums would probably see a 50% reduction in posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
strangebrew
strangebrew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post

You realise that you basically agreed with my post with one sentence you had. "What I care about is if it is fast enough for my tastes."

I have no problems driving a slow car IF it will give me exceptional mileage. Take the VW Jetta Diesel. Those things are slow, but I get great mileage. But with the current engine, you aren't gaining any mileage particularly over the Ion and it is actually slower. From the reviews it handles like a charm. But I don't really want to drive a slower car and not get very good mileage, especially considering I live in the mountains and sometimes need to pass quickly.

But by all means, if it works for you, it works for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strangebrew's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strangebrew reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #13
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
U.S.

5 door XE auto 24/30
5 door XR auto 24/30
3 door XR auto 24/30

5 door XE 5spd 24/32
5 door XR 5spd 24/32
3 door XR 5spd 24/32

Thats with the new U.S. government rating system that started in 2008. So what ever you remember from back in the day has nothing to do with today.

I think either the prius or yaris, went from 60mpg's to around 42 mpg's. Oh well, so much for the imports.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 AM   #14
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

SaturnSudbury;

A bit off topic here,but have you taken a close look at the speedo in that brochure?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #15
SaturnSudbury
SaturnSudbury is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

This may Explain Why the Fuel ratings have dropped on most stickers for 2008
taken from http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/420f06009.htm

Regulatory Announcement: EPA Proposes New Test Methods for Fuel Economy Window Stickers For 2008 MY

Background / Current Tests and Methods
The Proposed New Methods to Determine Fuel Economy
How Fuel Economy Estimates Will Change from Today's Labels
Laboratory Tests Reflect Real World Conditions
Fuel Economy Label Design
No Impact on CAFE
Public Comment
For More Information
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is proposing new test methods for calculating the fuel economy estimates that are posted on the window stickers of new cars and trucks. The city and highway miles per gallon (MPG) estimates help consumers compare the fuel economy of different vehicles.

Although no single test can ever account for the wide variety of driving conditions and styles, EPA’s proposal will bring the MPG estimates closer to the fuel economy consumers actually achieve on the road. The new MPG estimates will take effect with model year 2008 vehicles, which will be available in dealer showrooms in the fall of 2007.

Background / Current Tests and Methods

The city and highway MPG estimates have been provided to consumers since the 1970s as a tool to help shoppers compare the fuel economy of different vehicles. Currently, EPA relies on data from two laboratory tests to determine the city and highway fuel economy estimates. The test methods for calculating these estimates were last revised in 1984, when the fuel economy derived from the two tests were adjusted downward—10 percent for city and 22 percent for highway—to more accurately reflect driving styles and conditions.

The city and highway tests are currently performed under mild climate conditions (75 degrees F) and use acceleration rates and driving speeds that EPA believes are generally lower than those experienced by drivers in the real world. Neither test is run with the use of accessories, such as air conditioning. The highway test has a top speed of 60 miles per hour, and an average speed of only 48 miles per hour.

Since the mid-1990s, EPA's emission certification compliance regulations have required the use of three additional tests which capture a much broader range of real-world driving conditions; specifically: high-speed, fast-acceleration driving and the use of air conditioning and colder temperature operation (20 degrees F). Not only do these conditions impact the amount of air pollutants a vehicle emits, they also have a significant impact on a vehicle’s fuel economy. However, they are not currently required to be used to measure fuel economy.

Top of page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Proposed New Methods to Determine Fuel Economy

EPA is proposing to incorporate these tests into the methods used to determine the fuel economy estimates posted on the window stickers of new cars and light trucks. For the first time, the EPA fuel economy estimates will reflect vehicle-specific data from tests designed to replicate three real-world conditions that can significantly affect fuel economy: high speed/rapid acceleration driving, use of air conditioning, and cold temperature operation. Previously, these conditions were accounted for by across-the-board adjustments, rather than by vehicle-specific testing.

EPA is also proposing that the fuel economy estimates reflect other conditions that affect fuel economy, such as road grade, wind, tire pressure, load, and the effects of different fuel properties. The fuel economy for each vehicle model would continue to be presented to consumers as city and highway MPG estimates.

Auto manufacturers would be required to perform the fuel economy testing specified in EPA's proposal. In the 2008 model year, the new methods would be used to determine the estimates. In 2011, a provision would take effect that would require manufacturers to perform additional cold temperature, air conditioning and/or high speed/rapid acceleration driving tests for some vehicles that may be more sensitive to these conditions. The additional testing would ensure that the fuel economy of those vehicles is more precisely captured. EPA is proposing to delay this additional testing until 2011 in order to provide enough time for manufacturers to plan for the added testing responsibilities. Nevertheless, beginning in 2008, the fuel economy for those sensitive vehicles would still reflect enough of the above effects such that consumers can make good comparisons.

Top of page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How Fuel Economy Estimates Will Change from Today s Labels

Under EPA’s proposal, the new fuel economy estimates would be lower for most vehicles. This is not because auto makers have designed the same vehicles to be less fuel efficient—it is because our new test methods take into account factors that have been missing or not fully accounted for in the current tests. Because some vehicles are more sensitive to these factors than others, the impact of the proposed changes will vary from vehicle to vehicle. The city MPG estimates for conventional (non-hybrid) vehicles would drop on average by about 10-20 percent from today's labels, while the highway estimates would drop by about 5-15 percent, depending on the vehicle.

For hybrid vehicles, the city MPG estimates would drop 20-30 percent from today's labels. For highway MPG estimates, the change is about the same as for conventional vehicles. The nature of current hybrid technology—the addition of a battery as a second source of on-board power, sophisticated control systems, and sometimes a smaller engine—makes a hybrid’s fuel economy more sensitive to certain factors, such as colder weather and air conditioning use. However, many hybrid models will remain among the most fuel-efficient vehicles on the market.

Top of page

Laboratory Tests Reflect Real-World Conditions

It is essential that EPA’s fuel economy estimates continue to be derived from controlled, repeatable laboratory tests to enable a standardized or “level playing field,” comparison between all vehicle models. However, the underlying calculations proposed to determine the estimates are based on data from real-world driving behavior and conditions. Laboratory testing also preserves EPA’s ability to confirm the results of manufacturers’ testing.

Auto makers will continue to be responsible for performing the fuel economy testing and calculating the label MPG estimates. EPA will continue to confirm the manufacturers' test results by performing audit testing at its National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Since everyone drives differently and under varied conditions, there is no test that could perfectly predict the fuel economy that every driver will get. With any estimate, there will always be times when a driver’s actual fuel economy will be higher or lower. However, EPA’s proposal will do a better job of bringing the estimates on the window sticker closer to people’s real-world fuel economy experience.

Top of page

Fuel Economy Label Design

EPA is also proposing to revise the format and text of the fuel economy window sticker that appears on new automobiles. This is being done to more clearly convey the fuel economy information to consumers. The proposal includes four label options under consideration. The label options are also available at www.epa.gov/fueleconomy.

Top of page

No Impact on CAFE

EPA’s proposal has no impact on the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) program. There are separate regulations concerning the test methods and procedures to determine the fuel economy values under the CAFE program, which is administered by the Department of Transportation.

Top of page

Public Comment

EPA is providing a 60-day comment period on the entire proposal, including the new fuel economy testing methodology and label redesign. Also, EPA will hold a public hearing after the proposal is published in the Federal Register. For more details about how to comment or to attend the public hearing, please see the Federal Register notice or go to www.epa.gov/fueleconomy.

Top of page

For More Information

You can access documents on this rulemaking on EPA’s Office of Transportation and Air Quality Web site at:

www.epa.gov/fueleconomy
For further information, please contact the Assessment and Standards Division at:

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of Transportation and Air Quality
2000 Traverwood Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Voice-mail: (734) 214-4636
E-mail: asdinfo@epa.gov

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSudbury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSudbury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSudbury is offline   Reply With Quote