SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #21
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Viberation Between 40-65 Mph

It seems to me that it is time for road force balancing and alignment. If this doesn't work,tell dealer to replace steel wheel/tire combo with alloys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #22
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Since you have had wheels and tires replaced. Next think to look at is the front rotors and spindles. From your description of vibration and shimmy I would venture a guess that one rotor is warped or not installed correctly on the spindle.
Test: while driving at 40 MPH very lightly press the brake pedal. If your foot feels a thumping sensation the rotor is most likely warped or installed incorrectly. If it feels smooth but the vibration/shimmy is still present it is more likely to be the spindle itself. This is because the spindle and calipers are mounted together, separate from the rotors (obviously).

If it is worse than that, get them to replace the car under the lemon law.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #23
davisindy
davisindy is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

The rotors need not be warped enough that you can feel the vibration thru ther pedal to cause an oscillation between 40-65MPH.

Been all thru this with a 2007 Chevrolet product.

2007 Aura XR
2005 Vue AWD V6
1965 Riviera Gran Sport
1968 Skylark Gran Sport
1971 Estate Wagon
1987 Reagal T-Type

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davisindy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davisindy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davisindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #24
AURAXEX2
AURAXEX2 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Update: Well that did not work,putting '08 rims and tires on. What a surprise!

Now that we have had 8 sets of wheels and tires on.

They have force balanced them also
They have replaced the spindles and hubs and rotors

Saturn has had the car 11 days now..just on this one trip..for a total of 26days out of 40 days of ownership

My patience is now are running thin...very thin.

Atleast i'm driving an '08 cadillac CTS,for a rental! (what a great car)

2007 Aura XE white
2007 Aura XE silver
2007 Aura XE techno grey (exchanged)
2007 Aura XE berry (exchanged)

Past:
2003 L200 blue
2003 Vue Cvt4 white
2002 Vue AWDV6 orange
2001 L200 silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AURAXEX2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AURAXEX2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AURAXEX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #25
AURAXEX2

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE
Happy Re: Viberation Between 40-65 Mph

Update:

The Car Is Being Replaced. Its Still There At The Dealership,they Do Not Have A Clue What Is Causing The Viberation,some Think It Is The Driveshaft.
Items Replaced:
Tires--7 Sets Of Wheel/tires Combo's
Hubs/spindles
Rotors

But General Motors Agreed To Take It Back.

They Found Another One Identical To My Car In Another State And Its Being Shipped/trucked In,so I Pick It Up Tuesday Nite!

The Dealership Has Bent Over Backwards In My Case And Truly Cared Enough To Help Me Out.

2007 Aura XE white
2007 Aura XE silver

Past:
2003 L200 blue
2003 Vue Cvt4 white
2002 Vue AWDV6 orange
2001 L200 silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AURAXEX2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #26
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. I assumed they would eventually have to replace it. At least you didn't have to go the lemon law route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #27
szampino
szampino is on a distinguished road

Any chance on getting an update to this? Did the new car work out?

I've got the same issue.

I've experienced the same problem however I am out of my 30 day 1000 mile vehicle give back. I haven't pushed it becuase I took out other Aura's and experienced the same shimmy just at different intensities. Can you please give me an update on your new vehicle? I'd like to see if you still have the problem. Is this a design flaw?

The dealership is suggesting that it is 'Flat Spotting' on the low profile tires?

Let me know what you think.

I'm leasing an 2008 Aura XE coming from a Nissan Maxima. I'm thinking I made a poor choice, It was a tossup between spending a little more for a Camry or spending what I wanted on the Aura. I'm thinking I may have just 'Gotten' what I paid for. Could use some encouragement from any one out there that the shimmy/shake can be fixed.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to szampino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help szampino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
szampino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #28
AURAXEX2

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

UPDATE:

Picked up the exchange Aura XE on Tuesday nite, and General Motors/Saturn were right, the got me the identical car with the identical problem.

The only common thread i have found is both of them were manufactured in October of '06.

Vibrates at 50-56mph to 75mph...

Alot of you fans have emailed me to ask me what does it do, the symptoms.

As you drive up to speed and hit 50mph the entire car will start to shake and it gets worse until about 60mph,calms down alittle,then at 68 to 73 it is real bad. The steering wheel shakes,the passenger seat is shaken. Remember our roads in Florida are very,very flat and very smooth. So you set your cruise control at 70mph and the car starts is shaken and dancing its the most annoying driving experience.

They suspect something with the driveshaft??

But the dealership is contacting Saturn to replace it with another one,so i will keep ever one up to date.

ps..Remember i bought two on the same day and the white one is perfect. and it was manufactured in Aug '07.

2007 Aura XE white
2007 Aura XE silver

Past:
2003 L200 blue
2003 Vue Cvt4 white
2002 Vue AWDV6 orange
2001 L200 silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
softwheat
softwheat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURAXEX2 View Post
As you drive up to speed and hit 50mph the entire car will start to shake and it gets worse until about 60mph,calms down alittle,then at 68 to 73 it is real bad. The steering wheel shakes,the passenger seat is shaken. Remember our roads in Florida are very,very flat and very smooth. So you set your cruise control at 70mph and the car starts is shaken and dancing its the most annoying driving experience.

Hey everyone just wanted to keep in touch with everyone and give an update with everyone out there, I just want to let everyone know that the vibration that I am having is comming from the back of the car due to the fact that your butt will vibrate with the seat along with the passenger side seat, if you are in the back you can really feel it I have heard from some passengers that I have picked up. What happened is my dealership replaced two bad tires that were tested on the force gage, still didn't feel like it did the trick so it went back in time and time agian until I just said screw it. So turns out I had the tires replaced at 2894 miles and I have been driving it for a couple months at 4210 miles the vibration is going away, please keep in mind that it is not total 100% more like 72% gone, I think what needed to happen is for the tires to wear evenly on their own after the fact of them being changed. But I actually experience a smooth ride and will catch myself speeding in 45 mile zones where I am going 65 on accident, I haven't felt that sense I got out of my other car I had. I have no idea if this is a break in on the aura or what have you, I will continue to keep in touch and let you all know if we get a 100% turn around!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to softwheat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help softwheat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
softwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #30
Johnny84
Johnny84 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2009 VUE 3.6L

After I got my 08 Aura XE I noticed a very slight but annoying vibration from about 45mph up. I found this thread and began to be a bit concerned.
I called the dealer and they got me in right away and ordered me four new rims. They said my 08 was one of the first ones they got in back in August and that the tires were a bit out of shape from sitting all that time. They put the new rims on and said the tires still needed to get some miles on them to work them back in. The rims cut the vibration in half but it was still annoying at times. I wasn't sure about this at first but it has been 3.5 weeks now/1000 miles and the Vibration has gone away completely. I'm glad mine was just a simple thing. I love the car and would hate to have any complaints.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Johnny84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Johnny84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Johnny84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:24 PM   #31
AURAXEX2

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Update:

Saturn Agreed To Exchange It Again And This Time I Drove The Car For A Weekend Before I Signed. Rides As Good And If Not Better Then My White One. Yippie,finally A Car That Rides Like A Car Should!...kudos To Saturn Of Port Richey,florida. The Went To Bat For Me And They Have Been Great. "big" Mike The Gm Has Been Great And Is One Of The Best Guy's I Have Ever Dealt With. This As Been A Nightmare But I'm Glad Its Over.

A Very Happy 2 Aura Family....

Thank You,

Saturn Of Port Richey And Saturn Corporate.

Chris

2007 Aura XE white
2007 Aura XE silver

Past:
2003 L200 blue
2003 Vue Cvt4 white
2002 Vue AWDV6 orange
2001 L200 silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:32 AM   #32
unicron-wmd
unicron-wmd is on a distinguished road

I am sure this is going to sound really dumb but I'll say it anyway.

I have read of people installing mud flaps and then their car make odd sounds and vibrates on the freeway. Do any of your vibrateing cars have mud flaps?

I bought a set of mud flaps and a spoiler and am having them painted. I am kinda worried my car is going to start vibrating and making odd noises when they're installed.

07 Saturn Aura XR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unicron-wmd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unicron-wmd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unicron-wmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #33
swalke16
swalke16 is on a distinguished road

Well it sounds like I'm having a very similar problem to what is described below. I've got an '07 Aura XR with 1700mi on it and I seem to get vibration from around 65mph+.

Took it to the dealership last week and they said the tires were out of balance and that they fixed the problem. It does appear to be *slightly* better but the problem still exists. I originally thought most of the vibration was in the wheel, but now I feel it more in the seat and still some in the wheel. I can also *very* visibly see the headrest on the passenger seat vibrating like crazy when the vibration is going on. All this on freshly paved flat highway here in Ohio. It's very frustrating.

One thing I have noticed whether this makes sense or not is that the problem for me almost seems worse as the car decelerates in the problem speed range. You can feel the problem some while accelerating, but it just seems worse to me when you let your foot off the gas for a bit.

I'm supposed to take the car in again tomorrow for service and hopefully they can come up with a better fix this time as I'm supposed to go on a small road trip on Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AURAXEX2 View Post
UPDATE:

Alot of you fans have emailed me to ask me what does it do, the symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swalke16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swalke16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
swalke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #34
AURAXEX2

2007 AURA XE
2007 AURA XE

Mudflaps,

All Of My Aura's Have Dealer Installed Mudflaps, As A Matter Of Fact Saturn Of Port Richey, Puts Mudflaps On All Its Aura's Sitting On The Lot.

But Its Not The Mudflaps, Saturn And General Motors Are Quite Aware Of The Viberation.

I Personal Think They Have No Idea Why Its Doing It In The Aura And Not Malibu. But Has Anyone Noticed The Tires On The Malibu Are They The Same Cheap Hankook's/goodyear's We Got?

Dealers Think Its A Tire Issue, I Had 7 Sets Of Rims And Tires Made No Difference.

It Is Only At A Certain Speed, Flat Smooth Roads..

Remember I Bought Two On The Same Day One Did It One Did Not,and The White One Is Still Perfect At 4000 Miles.

The Silver One So Far Has Been Great, No Vibe Problems At All.

Also, Just For A Mention, I Have Injected By The Dealer "nitrogen" Fill In Both Cars And Its Def Difference In The Ride,much,much Better.

The Only Common Thing Between Both Vibe's Car's Was The Manuf Date 10/06...both Of The Ones I Got Now Are 08/07...03/07...

2007 Aura XE white
2007 Aura XE silver

Past:
2003 L200 blue
2003 Vue Cvt4 white
2002 Vue AWDV6 orange
2001 L200 silver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #35
cverstij
cverstij is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.5L

I have had this same problem with mine. Even with 20" rims, Nitto Invo tires with those and then back to 18" rims with Michelin Pilot Sport tires with those and now back to stock setup. I got vibration with every setup.....I now feel bad because I blamed the tire place for bad product. And I LOVED the 20" setup! Now, I am thinking it's GM's dum azzes that has caused it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cverstij's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cverstij reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cverstij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #36
netray
netray is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

This must be only a problem with the 07 models, I have an 08 3.5 XE with the 17 inch Hankook tires and it ride like a dream!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to netray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help netray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
netray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #37
szampino
szampino is on a distinguished road

Providing an update. I'm driving an '08 Aura XE 1900 miles and there is/was a definate vibration as described in this thread. I had the dealer ride with me to witness it so I wasn't looked at like nut job by the service center.

The dealership is saying its 'Tires', 'Flat Spotting' and references GM's bulletins on the topic. Last week I gave my car to the dealership and said take it for the week and fix it. They did a pretty good job, so far the vibration has been significantly reduced however I haven't taken it on a long road trip and most of my driving has been city. I'm still testing things out to see if I feel it or just think I feel it. Jury is still out.

This is what they said they did:
1. Replaced the rims/tires with other vehicles on the lot after they test drove and found the best ride.
2. They said the tires on the Aura also have issues with Weights staying put and in place. Supposedly they did something special to make them stay, maybe glue? Can't remember exactly.
3. I have personally noticed that my tire pressure which usually was around 30 - 32 was now between 34 - 36.

This is what I know as of now. I'm planning a road trip on Thursday Morning so I'll have an updated assessment as soon as possible.

So this is a real problem, however there doesn't seem to be a consistent method of resolution. Maybe our experiences can find a common solution.

Q to anyone out there - Has anyone found the vibration problem with the Aluminum Rims?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to szampino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help szampino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
szampino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #38
steveluvs3
steveluvs3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SC1

I finally took mine in for the vibration and they found out that both front tires had run out and they put new tires on the car, I guess they did'nt test drive it cause when I got it out on the highway the vibration was worse so i took it back and 10 min later I had to take the mechanic for a ride so he could feel it and he told me he was perplexed so they gave me a loaner and they said they are gonna look into it, 24hrs later they call me and tell me that they are gonna replace all the steel wheels because they found out for 08' they got a new manufacture for the steel wheels cause they were having too many issues with the original manufacture so supposedly tomorrow they are gonna have my car done so I'll update then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steveluvs3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steveluvs3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steveluvs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #39
softwheat
softwheat is on a distinguished road

Definally let us know what happends if that is the case I will have my company order me some new wheels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to softwheat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help softwheat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
softwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #40
steveluvs3
steveluvs3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1997 SC1

Well that did the trick, got that baby up t0 a 110 and not a single vibration, I think they should do a recall of those wheels if they know their junk.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steveluvs3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steveluvs3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steveluvs3 is offline   Reply With Quote