SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

Default Cooling fan stays on after car off?

I've never witnessed this on any other car so I had to ask. I was driving before with the AC on and it is very hot here now, in the 90s. When I turned the car off, there was a fan noise from the engine still running for several minutes, then it turned off. I assume it's a cooling fan of some kind. Is this normal? It was fairly loud, as if the car was still running (which it wasn't).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
thewolf
thewolf is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Cooling fan stays on after car off?

Yes, this is normal.................

Live and learn...........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewolf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewolf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
ronjohn
ronjohn is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
2008 VUE 2.4L

i haven't noticed my aura do this, but my mercedes always did this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronjohn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronjohn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
huskercowboy
huskercowboy is on a distinguished road

Yes this is quite normal with the advent of electrical fans. There is a sticker in the engine compartment that says fan may turn on at any moment and to keep hands clear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to huskercowboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help huskercowboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
huskercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:32 PM   #5
MJD112379
MJD112379 is on a distinguished road

I've seen that label, on other cars too, but this is the first car where I ever actually saw this happen...especially so loudly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercowboy View Post
Yes this is quite normal with the advent of electrical fans. There is a sticker in the engine compartment that says fan may turn on at any moment and to keep hands clear

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MJD112379's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MJD112379 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MJD112379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #6
QualityIsHere
QualityIsHere is on a distinguished road

The purpose of this fan is to dry out the ventilation system to prevent musty smell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QualityIsHere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QualityIsHere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
QualityIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityIsHere View Post
The purpose of this fan is to dry out the ventilation system to prevent musty smell.
My last 3 cars did this, and I was always told it was to continue the engine's cooling. Despite the engine being off and no pumps running, the natural convection of hot and cold would still circulate coolant through the system allowing the engine to cool better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #8
TechnoAura
TechnoAura is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Cooling fan stays on after car off?

I know the Auras have the feature MJD112379 is referring too, as do some other Saturn models including the last generation S-series, but my question is when does this fan turn on? Does outside air temperature have to do with the fan turning on? The length of time the a/c is on? The reason why I ask is that it has been close to 100 degrees where I live recently and I have been using my a/c quite a bit . I have not noticed the fan kicking on after my drives. I am not worried about whether or not this feature is working, just curious.

2011 Buick Regal CXL RL2
Previous Saturns:
2007 Aura XE, Auto, Techno Grey with Grey Cloth
2005 Ion III, Manual, Black with Grey Leather
1999 SL2, Manual, Dark Blue with Grey Leather

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TechnoAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TechnoAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TechnoAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
liquidslap
liquidslap is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Mine does this but it doesn't stay on. I get out the car in enough time to just hear it spin down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to liquidslap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help liquidslap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
liquidslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Tallboy
Tallboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You mean the blower fan inside the cabin is running?

08 Aura XE 2.4
03 Mercury Marauder
Trilogy Supercharger #0054

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tallboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tallboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No it isn't, they aren't even connected in any way. The fan is cooling the engine/radiator, it's not the interior fan we're talking about, it's the engine compartment fan and it's a normal feature. It'll happen if it's really hot out.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #12
Tallboy
Tallboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_69 View Post
No it isn't, they aren't even connected in any way. The fan is cooling the engine/radiator, it's not the interior fan we're talking about, it's the engine compartment fan and it's a normal feature. It'll happen if it's really hot out.

That's pretty much where i was goin'...

08 Aura XE 2.4
03 Mercury Marauder
Trilogy Supercharger #0054

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tallboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tallboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #13
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

In my 2004 L300.3,the engine cooling fan stayed on for a short time on particularly hot days to help cool the engine compartment.

In addition the car had a "Ventilation Fan Delay Module".This turned the HVAC fan on for 7 minutes at full blast approx 40 minutes after the engine was shut down if the AC had been on for 5 mins or more.

This module was not referred to in the Owner's Manual. I only found out about it when talking to dealer about musty odor. They said module was already there but had to be activated at customer request.!!!After module was activated,the musty odors virtually disappeared. However,it would have been nice if Saturn had told people about this feature in the Manual.

Last edited by hugh; 08-10-2007 at 11:19 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote