SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 11:56 PM   #1
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Replaced Air Filter

I checked my air filter back in April and it was still fairly clean after 6 months use. Since then, its been pretty dry and dusty and when I checked it this past weekend, it was pretty well coated with dirt.

A little research at Pep Boys, AutoZone and couple others turned up that Fram is the only aftermarket company making our filter and it costs $22. I did find out that K&N is making Filtercharger drop-in that costs $44. Performance claims beside it all, it made sense economically speaking, so I bought the K&N. Plus they worked fine in my last 3 cars.

Does it add any horsepower? I dunno, I don't really care, the car had plenty of get-up-n-go with the regular filter. I have noticed, the engine seems to idle smoother, not as much "lean burn" shake and the throttle seems to respond quicker. It could be due to having a clean filter, or it could be the higher airflow rate. I'll have to burn through a couple tanks of gas to see what effect there might be on that front.

My recommendation, go with the K&N. Its a choice between $22 every 2 to 6 months, or $44 for the life of the car. The cleaning/reoiling kit costs about $15 and is used maybe every 2 to 3 years. Its still cheaper in the long run.

IMHO, YMMV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Relok23
Relok23 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Thumbs Up Re: Replaced Air Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptMatt View Post
I checked my air filter back in April and it was still fairly clean after 6 months use. Since then, its been pretty dry and dusty and when I checked it this past weekend, it was pretty well coated with dirt.

A little research at Pep Boys, AutoZone and couple others turned up that Fram is the only aftermarket company making our filter and it costs $22. I did find out that K&N is making Filtercharger drop-in that costs $44. Performance claims beside it all, it made sense economically speaking, so I bought the K&N. Plus they worked fine in my last 3 cars.

Does it add any horsepower? I dunno, I don't really care, the car had plenty of get-up-n-go with the regular filter. I have noticed, the engine seems to idle smoother, not as much "lean burn" shake and the throttle seems to respond quicker. It could be due to having a clean filter, or it could be the higher airflow rate. I'll have to burn through a couple tanks of gas to see what effect there might be on that front.

My recommendation, go with the K&N. Its a choice between $22 every 2 to 6 months, or $44 for the life of the car. The cleaning/reoiling kit costs about $15 and is used maybe every 2 to 3 years. Its still cheaper in the long run.

IMHO, YMMV

The first thing of done with any car I've owned is replace the paper filter with a K&N. Depending on the car/engine, it will increase HP by about 5-7% and boost fuel economy a bit. Power increase doesn't seem like much, but it is most noticeable at the higher end, for example, highway driving and higher speeds....Sounds corny, but the engine seems to "breath" better.
I've had my XR since April, and noticed a moderate boost in fuel economy within a week or so.
I look at it as being a one time purchase, and depending on the driving and beating that one's car takes, you can maintain/clean the filter at your convenience. I tend to keep my cars for a while, so I agree that it's saves some money in the long run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Relok23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Relok23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Relok23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
setchell
setchell is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Replaced Air Filter

I installed a K&N filter 8 months ago. Now have 10K miles. I always use these filters in my cars and have been very happy with them. There is a real or perceived real increase in performance and mpg for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to setchell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help setchell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
setchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

do any of you have the part number handy? Is it listed under the Aura... say I go to Autozone I'll be able to find one for the aura, or did you have to use annother listing to find it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #5
mwhite
mwhite is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by setchell View Post
I installed a K&N filter 8 months ago. Now have 10K miles. I always use these filters in my cars and have been very happy with them. There is a real or perceived real increase in performance and mpg for me.
Good filters for autos but have had customers install them in atvs,and 4 stroke dirt bikes, have had 2 blown atv engines(one was from neglect),the other was well maintained but with allowing more air more dirt also! Just keep them cleaned and oiled and they are ok. My son runs one in his truck and keeps it clean and oiled regularly after seeing what I have to rebuild! Just my opinion,but Uni makes a double foam filter I recommend to our customers that are determined to replace the prefilter and paper element filter, wish they had them for cars also! They may have them,but haven't found yet.

Last edited by mwhite; 06-21-2007 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: are offered for autos but can't find stock drop ins!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mwhite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mwhite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
Relok23

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy07xr View Post
do any of you have the part number handy? Is it listed under the Aura... say I go to Autozone I'll be able to find one for the aura, or did you have to use annother listing to find it?
The K&N Part# is 33-2249. This applies to the 3.5 or 3.6 engines.
You can order directly from K&N.com, or visit a Pep Boys, Autozone..etc..but expect to pay a higher $. I ordered mine through "AutoAnything" and had it delivered to my front door for a few bucks less. It is very easy to install, easy to maintain, and not a bad idea for an easy upgrade.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Relok23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
Twenty4
Twenty4 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relok23 View Post
The K&N Part# is 33-2249. This applies to the 3.5 or 3.6 engines.
You can order directly from K&N.com, or visit a Pep Boys, Autozone..etc..but expect to pay a higher $. I ordered mine through "AutoAnything" and had it delivered to my front door for a few bucks less. It is very easy to install, easy to maintain, and not a bad idea for an easy upgrade.
I just ordered one from them also. $38 shipped is a pretty good deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twenty4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twenty4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twenty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
MidnightBlueXR
MidnightBlueXR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2007 AURA XR
Wrench Re: Replaced Air Filter

I just put a K&N in my Aura. Last time I made a highway trip I got 27.2 mpg @ 75mph with no AC by the DIC. After replacing the stock filter with the K&N I got 29.8 mpg on the same trip @ 75 mph with no AC. Whether these numbers are a fluke or not I am still saving money by not having to ever buy a $20 stock filter. I bought my K&N on Amazon while it was on sale with free shipping.

Amazon.com items (Sold by Amazon.com, LLC):
1 K&N 33-2249 Replacement Ai... $25.56 1 $25.56

Shipped via USPS (estimated arrival date: 04-June-2007).
Tracking number: 9102049390094428909709

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Item Subtotal: $25.56
Shipping & Handling: $5.73

Super Saver Discount $-5.73

Total: $25.56

Paid by Visa: $25.56

The price has gone up since I bought mine but is still a good deal at $36 with free shipping.

2007 Midnight Blue Aura XR
2008 Arctic White Astra XR3

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MidnightBlueXR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MidnightBlueXR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MidnightBlueXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
double dee
double dee is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I was going to put a K & N air filter on my XR but decide to do some research first. Its seems like people are divided on these filters.

PROS: Marginal increase in fuel economy and horsepower.
Cheaper in the long run

CONS: Because they let in more air flow some people are saying that the micro-holes in the cotton are larger thus allowing more larger particles into the engine.
Do not over-oil because it will cause huge problems.
The oil on the cotton causes the sensors in newer cars to malfunction in the long run.

After checking several web forums the consensus seems to be not to use these filters on new vehicles, use them on older vehicles once the waranty is up or use them on cars that have been modified for drag racing, etc.

Of course many people have used them with no problems, but do you want to use them on a new Aura and have a sensor clog up??

I find that CanadianDriver is a very useful forum, seems like they have more knowlegeable cars guys on there any other forum I have visited.

Long story short, I've decide not to do it. Any of you on here have any more experience with these?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to double dee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help double dee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
double dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #10
CptMatt
CptMatt is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by double dee View Post
I was going to put a K & N air filter on my XR but decide to do some research first. Its seems like people are divided on these filters.

PROS: Marginal increase in fuel economy and horsepower.
Cheaper in the long run

CONS: Because they let in more air flow some people are saying that the micro-holes in the cotton are larger thus allowing more larger particles into the engine.
Do not over-oil because it will cause huge problems.
The oil on the cotton causes the sensors in newer cars to malfunction in the long run.

After checking several web forums the consensus seems to be not to use these filters on new vehicles, use them on older vehicles once the waranty is up or use them on cars that have been modified for drag racing, etc.

Of course many people have used them with no problems, but do you want to use them on a new Aura and have a sensor clog up??

I find that CanadianDriver is a very useful forum, seems like they have more knowlegeable cars guys on there any other forum I have visited.

Long story short, I've decide not to do it. Any of you on here have any more experience with these?
I've had them in my last 3 cars ('88 Jag XJ6, '91 Eagle Premier Ltd, '97 Eagle Vision TSi) and my late Father used it in his '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/4.0 I6. All combined, almost 300K miles of use. Neither one of us encountered any of the problems you mentioned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CptMatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CptMatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CptMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Andy07xr
Andy07xr is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

there are many people out there who stand by the strict don't use them because yeah if you can't follow instructions and you over oil the filter it can cause you MAP sensor to get oil on it and not read properly. Well first of all don't over oil the filter, and second of all check you MAP sensor regularly and clean it if it looks dirty. I haven't used one in a while, but it's just out of laziness I might go to one in the aura because right now any marginal increase in MPG would be great.

by the way thanks for the part number guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Andy07xr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Andy07xr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Andy07xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #12
Relok23

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy07xr View Post
there are many people out there who stand by the strict don't use them because yeah if you can't follow instructions and you over oil the filter it can cause you MAP sensor to get oil on it and not read properly. Well first of all don't over oil the filter, and second of all check you MAP sensor regularly and clean it if it looks dirty. I haven't used one in a while, but it's just out of laziness I might go to one in the aura because right now any marginal increase in MPG would be great.

by the way thanks for the part number guys.
I think it's a good, not too expensive add-on/investment. Anything is better than the paper filter in the long run. I do a lot of mixed driving with my XR, and at least with this type of filter, I can keep it as clean as possible limiting the amount of contaminants that may be exposed to my engine. I swear by them and have used them in every car or truck that I have owned. Also, the nice part is that they come pre-oiled, so there is really no way to mess up an install. All in all, it takes only about 2minutes to swap. I had a grand prix previous, and that was a pain in the a$s to remove when cleaning. Now if I could only say the same for the headlights..I've got a pair of Silverstars from my last car that I wish were as easy to replace with the XR's.
Anyways,
Good Luck!

Last edited by Relok23; 06-24-2007 at 11:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM   #13
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

People have problems with K&N filters because they do not follow the instructions.Most common fault is over-oiling which can result in MAF sensor getting oiled up.

I have used K&N drop-in filters for many years and offer the following hints:
a) Do not oil a new filter (should be obvious but people do it);
b) Keep the OEM paper filter and put it in when you clean the K&N filter.This allows lots of time to do the cleaning routine;
c) Clean the filter per instructions but let it dry for at least an extra 48 hours to make sure absolutely no moisture is left in the filter medium;
d) Oil the filter per instructions but let it drain/dry for at least an extra 24 hours and then check to see that there is no sign of oil collecting on bottom surface of filter. If there is,wipe off with paper towel and let sit another 24 hours before replacing.

I have had regular oil analysis over the years and have had no signs of engine wear of any kind but personally can not see any improvement in fuel economy or performance over paper filters. It is the ability to clean your filter when needed and not have to keep buying filters over the life of the car that counts for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #14
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

I stopped using K&N filters when, new, the oil from one fouled the MAF sensor on my Contour SVT repeatedly. Plus, with no real gain, why bother with the mess? Paper all the way.
c

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

just did my airfilter on the aura at 42k because i wasnt sure you could really go 50k on it as recommended. at 42k i was shocked how clean it still was.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #16
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I have K&N filters on all my vehicles currently, and have used them for over 20 years. I have never had any problems, or engine-related issues due to using them. I find that most people dissing K&N's have never actually used them, or have used them incorrectly (not cleaning or oiling properly) in the very distant past. The new K&N clean & oil (spray) kit are so simple "even a cave-man could do it"...

The main reason I switched my Aura is the very restrictive, pleated (and over priced) factory filter. I noticed a (very) slight, but noticeable, bump in bottom-end pep after replacing it.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover View Post
I stopped using K&N filters when, new, the oil from one fouled the MAF sensor on my Contour SVT repeatedly. Plus, with no real gain, why bother with the mess? Paper all the way.
c
I just looked at my MAF unit and it is as clean as a brand new one in the box.
I Have had a K&N onmy car for about 25000 miles.
Someone must had soaked your K&N with oil, which is not how your supposed to do it. If done correctly 0.0 oil will ever come off the filter.
I have used K&N air filters since 1986 on every car and truck I have ever owned. FOr the money, over the life of the car, the K&N save me a lot of money and I have never had any internal engine component failure. Between using Syn-oil and K&N filters for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I have used K&N filters in the past and they are a pain to clean and re-oil. Also you have to wait for like a day and cannot drive the car. I guess if you had a spare paper filter it would be ok, but you might as well just use the paper. For me it is not worth the time or trouble to get the K&N, the recharge kits and the time spent to maintain it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I would like to see a blind test. The driver would have no idea whether a K&N or the paper filter was in his car. The tester would swap filters at random times. The driver might know that the tester is messing with the air filter, but wouldn't know which one is in the car. Only the tester would know which filter was in the car.
The HP claims for the K&N might be correct, but how much driving do you do at redline? Most people drive at 2-3,000 RPM, the bottom of the HP curve anyway.
This reminds me of the Car Talk commentary on some mileage improver, if people spent $50 bucks say, they might subconsciously alter their driving habits so they actually got better mileage.

Given all that, I used a K&N in my Honda Shadow 1100 solely because Honda thought their paper filters had gold thread woven in. K&N did pay for itself in about a year. I had to rejet the bike a notch richer to get it to run properly.

For my SL, it's a paper Fram from Wal Hell because they it is cheap enough to change every year.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
Phaeton Driver
Phaeton Driver will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
I would like to see a blind test. The driver would have no idea whether a K&N or the paper filter was in his car. The tester would swap filters at random times. The driver might know that the tester is messing with the air filter, but wouldn't know which one is in the car. Only the tester would know which filter was in the car.
The HP claims for the K&N might be correct, but how much driving do you do at redline? Most people drive at 2-3,000 RPM, the bottom of the HP curve anyway.
This reminds me of the Car Talk commentary on some mileage improver, if people spent $50 bucks say, they might subconsciously alter their driving habits so they actually got better mileage.

Given all that, I used a K&N in my Honda Shadow 1100 solely because Honda thought their paper filters had gold thread woven in. K&N did pay for itself in about a year. I had to rejet the bike a notch richer to get it to run properly.

For my SL, it's a paper Fram from Wal Hell because they it is cheap enough to change every year.
I will say that I have not noticed any power gain or any improvement in MPG since I switched to the K&N on the Aura XR. I have in the past seen improvements, just not this time. I didn't do it for the HP or MPG, just because it is cheaper to clean and reuse and it keeps one more paper filter out of the land fills.

I clean and re-oil the K&N every time I change the oil and oil filter so it's no inconvenience to me as it appears to be to some. Of course I have been doing it for almost 25 year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phaeton Driver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phaeton Driver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phaeton Driver is offline   Reply With Quote