SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
jmaimone
jmaimone is on a distinguished road

Mad Taking it up the tailpipe! (Dealership Service)

My wife has had her 04 VUE dealer serviced since it was new.
The most recent oil change took an hour and a half because - according to the service manager - the oil plug threads "wore out" and needed to be fixed.

He went on and drew a picture of a bolt for my wife and explained how this happens all the time. To throw salt on the wound, this guy had the balls to charge her $8.50 for a new drain plug and told her she was lucky the threads on the pan didn't "wear out" because she'd be in it for $350 if they did. My wife is a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Raytheon. She's assembled missile launchers in Japan. She knows what a bolt is and how they break.

The mechanic made a half-assed attempt at fixing it, and settled for two gaskets and a some permanent marker (yes, graffiti!) You have to see the attached picture to believe this. Two gaskets makes the problem worse. It adds another place to leak (between the gaskets) and it reduces thread engagement. It's actually the threads that are meant to seal, not the gasket. The addition of the extra gasket and the fact that my pan is now soaked in oil confirms what we suspect about the mechanical knowledge of the technician.

Of course we all know these threads didn't wear out, they were stripped out by either over torquing this bolt or cross threading it. Either way, it happened at this dealership because this is the only place the car is serviced.

The problem is, the pan leaks because it's threads are damaged.

The dealership now wants to fix my pan by installing a heli-coil. This process would involve tapping a new hole in my oil pan, making metal chips that will get inside my crank case. Heli-coils are also not ideal for sealing, since they add an additional place for a leak to occur. Aside from the metal chips, it is a band-aid fix that is doomed for failure. I would expect this from a quick-lube, not a dealership. I'm paying too much as is!!

I'm about to continue up the Saturn customer satisfaction latter expecting to eventually get a new oil pan. Anyone want to take odds?

I expect my Saturn to squeak, creak, bump and rattle. I expect to replace my Saturn wheel bearing every 40-50k. I'm not surprised my Saturn heated seat doesn't work. I didn't expect my Saturn's HONDA engine to leak because my Saturn tech cross threaded the bolt and fixed it with bubble gum and duct tape!!

ok, I've vented.
Does anyone have any advice or history related to pursuing satisfaction from Saturn? Will they put their money where their mouth is? I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to pop some more valium.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmaimone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmaimone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmaimone is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Taking it up the tailpipe! (Dealership Service)

You know, it is things like this that makes me do all the maintenance I can do myself. I don't want to stereotype a group of people but if you look at a lot of dealership service departments, they have routine light maintenance items like oil changes and lubrication done by a person who is not one of the regular techs.

I had the first service on my 95 SL-2 after we bought it new done at the dealer because I wanted to be sure it was documented if ever there was a question involving warranty. I watched through the glass while the guy spilled new oil all over the engine while refilling it and getting old oil from the oil filter all over the CV joint boots, (which the owners manual is very clear about NOT doing). The never changed my oil again.

You caught them. I would take those pictures and have a good sit down with the dealership manager, not the service manager. I would explain what you did here about the knowlege and experience your wife has and why you know what they are saying is pure bull. If that does not get any satisfaction, I would just skip all the intermediate steps and just send a letter with pictures straight to the top, Jill Lazjak, (I never can remember how to spell her last name.) I wouldn't settle for anything less than a NEW oil pan.

Oil drain plugs don't wear out. I have been a professional mechanic for close to 35 years and I have never heard that one before.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

This is the reason that a car dealer ONLY sees my car for a warranty repair.

Fortunately, I am lucky to be able to do 90% of my own work. Call me a perfectionist, call me anal, call me whatever you want. But I have seen too many cases of cars butchered during what should be routine maintenance visits....so I just choose to do it myself.

At least if *I* break it, I have nobody to blame but myself.

Cheers,

Last edited by Ritz; 04-02-2007 at 09:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
jmaimone
jmaimone is on a distinguished road

So.. Who is Jill and why would I send her a letter? How do I do it? What should I expect?

I'll calm down enough to write a decent letter in a week or two. Aside from the oil pan, someone has to know about the lack of respect and ethics at this service center.

I also usually do my own work, but I let my wife do what she wants with her car despite what I think of dealerships. I'm currently reevaluating this wise decision.

Last edited by jmaimone; 04-02-2007 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmaimone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmaimone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmaimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
VTHokie00SL2
Master Member
VTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enoughVTHokie00SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaimone View Post
My wife is a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Raytheon. She's assembled missile launchers in Japan.

Cool!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTHokie00SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTHokie00SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTHokie00SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #6
mwhite
mwhite is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Dizzy Re: Taking it up the tailpipe! (Dealership Service)

Wallyworld did same thing to wifes 97 t-bird,so now I'm back changing oil in my truck and my wifes new Vue. I'm a 20 year atv/motorcycle mechanic and have never strippped out a drain plug and most of mine are aluminum!!
Stupidity is the only reason! Complain like HELL,and maybe they will do the RIGHT thing and change your pan. Worst case,have them install a timesert which if done properly will less likely to leak than a helicoil.
Wish you the best and keep us posted!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mwhite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mwhite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:03 AM   #7
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

In a word, inexcuseable.

IMHO, they owe you a new oil pan.

In reality, good luck.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 AM   #8
hugh
hugh will become famous soon enough

This is not an infrequent happening.A dumbo at my Saturn dealer over-torqued the drain plug by a factor of 4 on my L300 a few years ago. The steel plug threads virtually chewed the threads in the aluminum oil pan out of existence.

Service mgr assumed full responsibility.As no pan was in stock and I was leaving town on a trip,I asked if heli coil fix would work but was told in no uncertain terms that Saturn would not warranty it.Dealer had new pan shipped overnight and we got away on trip with minimal delay next day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hugh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hugh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
My wife is a Senior Mechanical Engineer at Raytheon. She's assembled missile launchers in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokie00SL2 View Post
Cool!
Hey, I'm a process engineer who assembles missiles themselves. Raytheon is one of our customers.

Back on topic, I would ask the service dept if they use torque wrenches on the oil drain plugs. As with probably every bolt in the car, there is a torque specification in the service manual. As far as getting it repaired, I assume you want a new oil pan. I would talk to the manager first, kindly state your case and request a new pan. If that doesn't work, call the Saturn customer assistance center. They'll forward your case to some higher-ups.

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM   #10
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerb View Post
Hey, I'm a process engineer who assembles missiles themselves. Raytheon is one of our customers.

Back on topic, I would ask the service dept if they use torque wrenches on the oil drain plugs. As with probably every bolt in the car, there is a torque specification in the service manual. As far as getting it repaired, I assume you want a new oil pan. I would talk to the manager first, kindly state your case and request a new pan. If that doesn't work, call the Saturn customer assistance center. They'll forward your case to some higher-ups.
WOW and I'm an "Operations Engineer" who shoots missiles. Seems we have all facets of missile "processes" represented.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
So.. Who is Jill and why would I send her a letter? How do I do it? What should I expect?
Jill Lajdziak is the General Manager for Saturn. She is at the top of the heap so to speak. She has been with Saturn since the early days and as she HAS particiipated in chats on this board makes me feel she would be very concerned about how a dealer is representing the company.

I usually give local management an opportunity to rectify problems but I grow frustrated quickly when the first couple of attempts do not fix the issue. Regardless of what the circumstance, cars, phones, what ever, after that I usually go straight to the top and let the crap roll down hill. Presidents, CEO's and General Managers are not supposed to have to get involved in such issues. That is what people at the customer contact level are paid to do. Taking the issue to the top, tells them that those people are not doing their job. Having the issue brought back down to them from the top, tells those people who were supposed to fix it in the first place, that the people at the top KNOW they aren't doing their job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
MaxSL2
Advanced Member
MaxSL2 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

OMG that is awful Not only could the techs not even install an oil drain plug properly, but it appears that on the side they could not spell PLUG on the first attempt either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MaxSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MaxSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MaxSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
94SW2
94SW2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1994 SW2

I'd start w/the service mgr, if nothing, then onto the dealership mgr, and so on and up until you get a new oil pan.
I agree that cr@p flows quickly downhill, but sometimes it's more difficult to fling it up there.

I don't have any experience with missles, but my son and I have fun shooting his model rocket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94SW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94SW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94SW2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Sky King
Master Member

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94SW2 View Post
I'd start w/the service mgr, if nothing, then onto the dealership mgr, and so on and up until you get a new oil pan.
I agree that cr@p flows quickly downhill, but sometimes it's more difficult to fling it up there.

I don't have any experience with missles, but my son and I have fun shooting his model rocket
I would agree with your approach if it worked at the levels of managment it is supposed to work. A problem should never have to be elevated beyond the local dealership. People are paid to do a job and if they can't, they should be fired. Think of yourself and your job. How long would you last if you didn't do your job or were incompetent at it? People make mistakes, sometimes they are just blatant screw ups (as in this case). But I am willing to accept a sincere attempt to rectify a screw up. If I can't get that done at the local level, I loose all patience and I just go straight to the top. I get tired REAL fast of having to explain a situation to "middle men" over and over again only to get nowhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!