SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Coolant Temp

The gen-1 91-some 95 will run close to straight up but noticeably to the left side of the 1/2 mark, higher than the 3/8 position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #22
SlayZombi
SlayZombi will become famous soon enough

2001 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
The top photo shows the seal is cracked on this old T-Stat, which is why your coolant gauge was reading low.
Yeah that's what I suspected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #23
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The gen-1 91-some 95 will run close to straight up but noticeably to the left side of the 1/2 mark, higher than the 3/8 position.
Hey, Trottida, I am going to add my photo to Nuc's quote. Just note, 1995 S-Series still have the 2nd Gen interior and gauges. The first Gen gauges should read about the same location as my photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20190114_001[1].jpg (79.2 KB, 11 views)

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #24
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Hey, Trottida, I am going to add my photo to Nuc's quote. Just note, 1995 S-Series still have the 2nd Gen interior and gauges. The first Gen gauges should read about the same location as my photo.
It never occurred to me the 95 would have the GEN2 gauge cluster. Of coarse it would now that I think about it. I'd like to see a 91-94 gauge photo if anyone has it showing the correct operating temperature.

Edit: Here are 2, the first from a 92 SL2 with the oil pressure gauge but not up to operating temperature. I think the second one is running cool. Thoughts?

I have officially high-jacked this thread ... sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen1 Temp Gauge.JPG (21.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Gen1 Temp Gauge 2.JPG (25.6 KB, 14 views)

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-14-2019 at 05:59 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #25
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I replaced the thermostat on my '93 with a made in China 14279 and the needle was usually planted a needle worth past the half way mark. After a couple years about what it would read on a gen2

China sucks

1999 SL2 A4 -83k miles

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #26
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
It never occurred to me the 95 would have the GEN2 gauge cluster. Of coarse it would now that I think about it. I'd like to see a 91-94 gauge photo if anyone has it showing the correct operating temperature.

Edit: Here are 2, the first from a 92 SL2 with the oil pressure gauge but not up to operating temperature. I think the second one is running cool. Thoughts?

I have officially high-jacked this thread ... sorry
The actual gauge assembly has no bearing on where that needle sits. The 1991-1994 needles will be around the same area as where my gauge is showing in my photo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #27
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
The actual gauge assembly has no bearing on where that needle sits. The 1991-1994 needles will be around the same area as where my gauge is showing in my photo.
Anyone on here who has a 95 GEN1 will know likely that it is "special" and "unique". If someone who has a 91-94 GEN1 and is on here looking to find out what the proper gauge reading should look like, I don't want them questioning why the photo shows a different gauge than what they have. This is why I'd prefer an early gauge photo.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #28
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The 95 looking instrument cluster is electrically entirely different than the later ggen-2 cluster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #29
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Anyone on here who has a 95 GEN1 will know likely that it is "special" and "unique". If someone who has a 91-94 GEN1 and is on here looking to find out what the proper gauge reading should look like, I don't want them questioning why the photo shows a different gauge than what they have. This is why I'd prefer an early gauge photo.
Found this one. Do we agree this is a typical reading for proper operating temperature for the majority of the Gen1 model years? OldNuc, something you wrote leads me to believe that the temp gauge calibration changed mid year 95. I can't find it now but is that correct?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gen1 (1993-1994)final.jpg (46.8 KB, 49 views)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #30
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
OldNuc, something you wrote leads me to believe that the temp gauge calibration changed mid year 95. I can't find it now but is that correct?
Fwiw - this is my '95 SW2 cluster . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '95 IP.jpg (89.3 KB, 9 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 AM   #31
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

No one can really seem to come to an agreement on where the gauge should sit on these forms so I feel like the best answer to the commonly asked "Where should the gauge sit?" is somewhere between,

here

and here

regardless of the year. If it sticks at 1/4, you're thermostat is probably stuck open. If it sits at 3/4 and you're cooling fan doesn't come on, (mine doesn't come on until 3/4 anyway, might be a little less for others) you have some other problem with your cooling system. Anywhere between though is probably fine

Mine sits about a needle width under the half way mark at 195, or about here at 185.

And I have a 97, not 00-02

These gauges aren't the most precise thing in the world and based on what I've seen here on the forums, there doesn't really seem to be a absolute definite place they should be for each generation. Saturn probably did try to have them all sit at the exact same spot (I don't see why they wouldn't) but really it all depends on how it was calibrated from the factory.

If you want to know exactly what the temp is without guessing if the gauge is right, get an OBD2 scan tool. (for 96 and up) Most the the cheap 15-20$ ones on Amazon can read live data and then you'd know for sure if your car is running too hot or too cold.

1997 SL2, 114K miles

Last edited by Zeebins; 01-18-2019 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: OBD2 info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM   #32
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I know they are not terribly accurate but for someone with an early GEN1 comparing to a GEN2 you'd think that your gauge reading is right on the money. I would expected a GEN1 failed thermostat to read like a GEN2.

When I replaced my GEN2 thermostat with a new Stant I thought it was defective; I was expecting it to read like my GEN3. It isn't really documented well within this forum that there are 3 distinct calibrations through the generations. I'm just working towards best representing them within one post that can be quoted in the future.

Yes, using an OBDC reading or thermometer held within the coolant return stream is ideal.

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #33
cgg17
Advanced Member
cgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nicecgg17 is just really nice

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

My 1995 sits:
-One needle width below half
-At half
-One needle width above half

1994 Sl2 5spd: 56,576 (Totaled 1/10/2018)
1995 Sl2 5spd Manual Swap: 150,062
1999 Sl2 4spd: 98,8xx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #34
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Found this one. Do we agree this is a typical reading for proper operating temperature for the majority of the Gen1 model years? OldNuc, something you wrote leads me to believe that the temp gauge calibration changed mid year 95. I can't find it now but is that correct?

That one looks good. You should include this as 1991-1994, and place mine as the Gen-I 1995(all 1995 models got Gen-II interior and gauges).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That looks good for a 91-94 car. The gauge calibrations did change in the 95 model year as the instrument cluster changed to the gen-2 design from the gen-1.

The issue is relatively simple. In the industrial human factors world normal operating point on a dial type indicator is the 1200 position. In the automotive world the tribal knowledge of owners is that cooler is better. So from 91 to 02 the normal indication crept downward with each succeeding generation all using an identical cooling system design and an identical set of thermostat specifications. Minor variations crept in with the different parts suppliers builds of the various cooling system external components.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!