SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
mystic54
mystic54 is on a distinguished road

Default '98 SC2 - High Engine Coolant Temp and Low Coolant Level Warning Light

Started seeing the High Engine Coolant Temperature/Automatic Transaxle Fluid Temperature and Low Coolant Level Warning light flash on and then off when driving. The coolant does indeed seem low.

In the six years I've owned this car, I'm not sure if I've ever had to add/do anything with the coolant. I'm hoping DexCool was used before and the coolant in there is an organish/yellow (which seems right), but I'm still a bit worried. Do I just hope for the best and just add more DexCool and water (50/50) in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mystic54's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mystic54 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mystic54 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: '98 SC2 - High Engine Coolant Temp and Low Coolant Level Warning Light

If you have no idea what is in there now then add 100% Universal antifreeze, not the 50/50 junk. Also have no idea of the concentration. The correct approach would be a drain and complete flush followed with a refill with a full gallon of 100% universal antifreeze and top off with distilled water. The service life of DexCool is 5 years on initial fill and 3 years on a refill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: '98 SC2 - High Engine Coolant Temp and Low Coolant Level Warning Light

And if your coolant keeps dropping, check for leaks. Usual suspects are the driver side radiator end tank (black plastic tank tends to bulge and split) and the water pump (passenger side - this is harder to see, you 'll need a flashlight and also look for coolant on the floor)

You also see an occasional bad cap on the reservoir

edit: actually, check for leaks and do what OldNuc suggested, as your antifreeze sounds like it is pretty old.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
bobyjones
Advanced Member
bobyjones is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
If you have no idea what is in there now then add 100% Universal antifreeze, not the 50/50 junk. Also have no idea of the concentration. The correct approach would be a drain and complete flush followed with a refill with a full gallon of 100% universal antifreeze and top off with distilled water. The service life of DexCool is 5 years on initial fill and 3 years on a refill.
you might want to get a new radiator while your at it, ive had two dex cars that i swapped a new radiator in the same time i swapped out dex cool, cause you're gonna have all that crap in your system still, radiators are cheaper than a new car, youll have to replace it anyhow, trust me they go at 150k-220k, my 3 last saturns all new radiators

especially if its been neglected like that chance are the radiators already on its way out, might as well do a heater core while your at it too, they only 15$ at a junk yard almost new

just go all out and rebuild your entire system its wicked easy, even the water pump is fairly easy, that way you know youll never have a problem again

or not

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobyjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobyjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobyjones is offline   Reply With Quote