SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Bob Panczak
Bob Panczak has a spectacular aura aboutBob Panczak has a spectacular aura about

Question 2000 LS2 Thermostat Issue What temp should coolant be at normal operating temp

I have a 2002 LS2 L81 3 Liter V-6 where the heat is rather tepid when the temperature falls below 25. I reverse flushed the cooling system this fall by attaching a flushing tee on the heater inlet hose and replaced the coolant with Dex-Cool. When I flushed the system, the water that came out was clear with no rust. No change in heat. Today I hooked up a scan tool and drove around to note the coolant temp. It ranged from 165 at start-up after sitting for about a half an hour to 187 after letting ldle for a few minutes. at cruise the temp dropped at as low as 175 and climbed back up to 185. I suspect that the thermostat is bad as with a 195 Degree stat the temp should be around 195 to 210 as the manual states. Had this problem last year as well. Any ideas or should figure I'm going to be taking on this five hour job. I have not had any codes set for low coolant temperature.

Thanks,

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob Panczak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob Panczak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob Panczak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LS2 Thermostat Issue What temp should coolant be at normal operating temp

Replace the thermostat. I did mine and posted some tips and pics. Others have too. A major pita but it must be done. I didn't have my dial thermometer reading temps before replacement but it reads off the scale now; the dial stops at 140F with the needle going another 90 degrees past - maybe 185F-190F when my auto climate control lowers the blower speed to idle? To paraphrase Paris Hilton a little, "My car's HOT!"

Last edited by fdryer; 12-09-2010 at 09:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Bob Panczak
Bob Panczak has a spectacular aura aboutBob Panczak has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: 2000 LS2 Thermostat Issue What temp should coolant be at normal operating temp

Thanks, YOu have pretty much confirmed my feelings. I will replace the stat.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob Panczak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob Panczak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob Panczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
halmiles
halmiles is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Panczak View Post
I have a 2002 LS2 L81 3 Liter V-6 where the heat is rather tepid when the temperature falls below 25. I reverse flushed the cooling system this fall by attaching a flushing tee on the heater inlet hose and replaced the coolant with Dex-Cool. When I flushed the system, the water that came out was clear with no rust. No change in heat. Today I hooked up a scan tool and drove around to note the coolant temp. It ranged from 165 at start-up after sitting for about a half an hour to 187 after letting ldle for a few minutes. at cruise the temp dropped at as low as 175 and climbed back up to 185. I suspect that the thermostat is bad as with a 195 Degree stat the temp should be around 195 to 210 as the manual states. Had this problem last year as well. Any ideas or should figure I'm going to be taking on this five hour job. I have not had any codes set for low coolant temperature.

Thanks,

Bob
You are going to have to bite the bullet and replace the thermostat. Get a top brand like a Stant 195 degree. It won't open until you reach its rated temperature and will keep it in that range,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to halmiles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help halmiles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
halmiles is offline   Reply With Quote