SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default EGR or solenoid for sure?

93 sl-1, single cam motor, getting a code 32 wich is for the EGR, i unplugged the vaccuum line from the EGR, pushed up the plunger in the valve and put my finger over the nipple on the EGR housing and the plunger stays up as long as i hold my finger over the hose nipple, so i am assuming the EGR valve itself is good and the solenoid is what is bad???? Just want to be sure because the dang solenoid is 34.04 from the dealer!! Or is the autozone solenoid good enough or is it one of those things where the dealer item is better to use?
thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Did you try to clean the EGR valve?

EGR solenoid's code is 26...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:43 PM   #3

but the EGR valve works..? The plunger moves up and down and if i push it up and then plug the vacuum hole in it, it will hold itself up until i let my finger off of the vacuum tube, doesnt that mean its good? i remember that was the old way of testing them, the one on my truck is bad, it wont stay up wheni plug the vacuum tube..?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
gdelgrego
gdelgrego is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1992 SL2

There are more tests than the one you tried. It could still be plugged if you're trying this on a not running engine. Read this thread for more tests. ..

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...threadid=24751

07 Aura XE
92 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gdelgrego's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gdelgrego reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2004, 07:42 PM   #5

ok, when exactly is the EGR supposed to operate, when revving or decelerating or what? I want to know so i can check it with the motor running..?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Old 07-03-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If you do the tests in the link that gdelgrego provided you will be able to eliminate the EGr valve. Are you getting any other codes besides 32?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
gdelgrego
gdelgrego is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally posted by 1993
when exactly is the EGR supposed to operate
The tests in the link are the proper way to verify valve operation, but since you asked (and it may help someone else), the vacuum EGR operates when (from a '93 FSM):

Coolant temp > 122 F for SOHC or DOHC with manual tranny. For DOHC with manual tranny, temp > 104F.

AND

Idle speed > 4% TPS

These two conditions trigger EGR ON and activate the EGR solenoid. The actual amount of EGR flow is controlled by the ratio of engine vacuum to exhaust backpressure, that is why any pluggage in the EGR system will affect operation even if the valve is opening/closing when commanded.

07 Aura XE
92 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gdelgrego's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gdelgrego reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Good description^ Code 32 generally indicates a LACK of EGR function. (Bad solenoid or valve) Code 26 AND 32 generally indicates a solenoid shorting to GROUND causing no EGR function. A solenoid NOT shorting to ground, but inoperative, will generally result in a code 32 ONLY.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 07:05 AM   #9

i tried this also, i disconnected the vacuum hose from the EGR and revved the motor up, there was vacuum at the hose when i revved it..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Closed Thread