SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
iced_theater
iced_theater is on a distinguished road

Question EGR Solenoid

I bought a few parts one being a egr solenoid, well when I was looking for the old one, I realised that I didn't have that solenoid period *probably why I have a code 26* so I looked for whatever hoses I should have, and didn't see any. So my question is where should my 2 hoses be? Also, my egr valve isn't like the one in the haynes manual. The one in the manual is regular that's a few inches in diameter and has a diaphragm on the bottom.....The one I have is just a black canister so.......what is that I'm looking at?

Tell me if that picture is too hard to see, I can email you a slightly better picture.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp picture_0382.bmp (74.7 KB, 115 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to iced_theater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help iced_theater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
elvinrodr
elvinrodr is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1995 SL2

You have what we call a linear egr valve. The solenoid is integrated with the valve. Only 91-94 saturns have egr solenoids. Hope this helps.

91 SL2M
93 SL2A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elvinrodr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elvinrodr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

You have the linear EGR, which was on some early model Satty's and all (95 or 96, I think) and later, I believe. You don't mention what year you have.

Whoever is selling you parts without asking your year and engine is not doing you any favor . . . or are we talking garage sale/swap meet purchases?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:35 PM   #4
TedL

Ignore - duplicate post.

Last edited by TedL; 03-17-2004 at 05:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
iced_theater

It's a 94 SC2......Will I have to buy the EGR valve now?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help iced_theater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
TedL

And I believe you bought the part for a SOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
iced_theater

Shouldn't of been.....I chose the DOHC one.....let me go get the number off of it..... 21020109 I checked saturnparts.net or whichever is on the bottom of the screen, it says it's for the DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:12 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

If the car is indeed a 94 then you have a California spec emmisions car. The EGR in the picture is a linear EGR. No EGR solenoid. Code 26 is a quad driver fault and there are eight things that could be causing the code. The EGR valve solenoid and the Cannister Purge solenoid are the two most common things. Obviously you don't have the EGR solenoid. Time to look at other things. If you have a Saturn store near you may be worth the money for them to diagnose the cause of the code. Try a search of the board for code 26. There will more posts on it than you want to think of but a few of them will list the eight things that can cause the code.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #9
iced_theater

I don't believe it's a cali car.....I did a carfax on it and it says it's had 2 owners, the first being from new york, then it came to wyoming.....The person I bought it from said it had a rebuilt engine that it has about 7K miles on it and that he bought it off the original owner that did the rebuilt engine......Now....I don't know if it's the original engine or one you can buy at say Autozone......In any case, can just the EGR valve be swapped from a old one to that linear design, and vice versa? Or what all componants do you need to do that? I was thinking mine had to of been the old design cuz I have a threaded hole for the EGR solenoid, or did all the engines have that design in them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Not sure but I have heard that some eastern states had the linear EGR's on them aka "California emmision spec". I believe that the linear EGR's on these cars used adaptors to get the linear ones on. How ever even if you could get the vacuum one on the car the PCM expects to see the linear one not a vacuum one. Won't work unless you change out more than the EGR. You shouldn't get stuck on thinking that you have an EGR problem. I know on the 95's we see code 32 for EGr concerns but we do not see any code 26's. No EGR solenoid to cause a code 26.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:16 PM   #11
TedL

If you're interested in getting to the bottom of this, look at your options label on the piece of hardboard covering the spare tire. While mine are 96s, I suspect the option codes are the same. Both of mine, built for sale in NY State, show option NB6 (California Emissions) and NG1 (Regional Emissions Certification). I know that my 97, when I ordered it, was required to have "California" emissions equipment. I don't know how long before 1997 it was required in NY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Closed Thread